By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - [Update: Switch Won] Switch, PS5 and Series X/S - What 9th gen console will sell most this Holiday?

Which 9th gen system will sell the most this Holiday?

Switch 102 67.11%

PS5 44 28.95%

Series X/S 6 3.95%

Total:152

Xbox Series consoles will sell better than the One family for sure.
They’re already doing a lot to leave their mark as the best publisher for:
FPSs
WRPGs
TPS
Simulator
RTSs
Racing, etc...
This is an unbelievable time to be an Xbox fan 🙂

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Spade said:

Xbox will win this holiday for a number of reasons. MS buying Bethesda has shown a lot of people that they are in this for the long haul, that they are committed to GAMING first. More rumors are floating around of MS investing and buying even more studios. All those games from bethesda again... DAY ONE on game pass as well as their other first party titles. They have a decent amount of console  launch exclusives too, pretty much equal to what PS5 has going on for this Holiday. A lot of those games are also coming to PS4. Backwards comp is also going to be a huge deal. All my friends who I talk to all say they are really excited for the Series X too and that they can go back and play older games. Did you see the new news coming out about how Xbox is getting all these boosted BC games, double the frame rate as well. Game pass is the biggest thing I feel you are overlooking. I know a huge PS fan who is now switching to Xbox just because of game pass, you see it all over the web about people changing consoles from PS to xbox BECAUSE of game pass; reddit youtube, you name it. It really is the greatest deal in gaming. Actually game pass ultimate is even better. And again, with MS buying more and investing more into first party, putting those games on game pass DAY ONE is a HUGE deal going forward. Let's not forget the 70 price tags that are going to be a norm, another HUGE plus for MS. It makes PS not look so good when you compare 70 games to MS' much cheaper alternative. Plus this year alone has been very good for MS first party. Probably their highest meta overall and it will only get better. Having Halo being delayed has shown us that MS is willing to delays games for the sake of quality. Also Sony's messaging this gen so far has been very sketchy. Lying about generations, and having a ton of their games on PS4 as well. For example the conference where they showed Demon Souls. It said that Demon souls is coming to PC, but then afterwards, they back tracked and said it was PS5 only... Now who is going to believe that. If God of War comes out next year I can see that being another cross gen game. If Horizon is cross gen why not God of War. Hell what about Ratchet and Clank? I'm just waiting for that to be announced for PS4 too.  It truly feels like 2013, BUT the roles have been completely reversed. Plus how fast Xbox has sold out, as well as the rumors of PS having supply issues. Another big thing is Xbox Series S being at 299, which will be a huge game changer come this Holiday season. Having the most powerful console, as well as the most affordable? HUGE!! Coupled with the positive press MS has been getting, for being honest and open about cross gen, the best deal in gaming with game pass, investing 7.5 billion in Bethesda, as well as rumored to buy more. Xbox is set to succeed, Phil has brought Xbox to new heights. MS I can see is definitely winning back US overall as well. But in terms of holiday? Xbox will outsell PS and overall, be the best selling as well. 

Is your enter key broken?  That blog of text is actually larger than Marvel's Blob.

I'm also fascinated by the 7 upvotes. Do you think they are upvoting the size of it? Reading the first sentence then just upvoting it? or did 7 people actually just read War and Peace from beginning to end and then upvote it?

If I had to guess, it's probably more of a protest vote than anything else.

Too soon to ask my boi.

Everyone already knows Switch will sell a lot this holiday/christmas.

Now i wonder which 9th gen console gonna sell the most as the second place hmm... Perhaps the day of reckoning will answer.

Hehehe, I see things are heating up in here. Okay, let me enter the fray; I already said that I think whichever has more stock between XsX and PS5 is going to win the holiday season; BUT, I think there is a HIGH chance that MS will have more units ready this year, so yeah, I think there is a high chance that the PS5 will be in the last place.

Runa216 said:
Got bored. Calculated how many exclusives the PS4, Switch, and Xbox One had between the Switch's launch in 2017 and now, right before the next generation consoles come out. These numbers are ever so slightly skewed, as some PS4 exclusives such as FFXII the Zodiac Age and Nier automata ended up coming out on Xbox/Switch, but the same can be said for Ori and Cuphead coming out on Switch/PS4. These numbers are totals for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. Here were the rules I used, fair and equal across the board:

1 - The games needed to be console or brand exclusive. PC or handheld ports didn't disqualify them.
2 - The games needed to have 20 reviews on GameRankings or Metacritic.
3 - The games needed to have a 75 or higher to be considered.
4 - The games were only considered for that year. Not disqualified if on another console later years.

And the final tallies for games with 75+ scores between 2017 and today were:

PS4 - 60 games total
Switch - 50 games total
XBO - 6 games total

No, this is not me taking the piss. This is me actively trying to twist things to give Xbox a fighting chance (not disqualifying PC games, keeping it on even if it later came to other consoles, etc), but doing that for them helped the others even more. The moral of the story is: This is why I'm so critical of Xbox. Y'all can talk all you want about future potential, but Sony and Nintendo are the ones going into holiday 2020 with all the momentum. And keep in mind, Sony has a handful more games coming out on PS5 that are likely to reach that threshold of 75+ scores and 20+ reviews, as well as handful on Switch before year's end. This is just between 2017 and today.

So could someone tell me why they STILL have faith in Microsoft? One year is a slipup. 2 years is a bad time. 3 years is worrying. 4 years is a clearly defined market trend. Microsoft has been a distant third for exclusives for a decade now. This is non-negotiable.

Can't wait for someone to report me for bringing charts to a video game charts site because it's not flattering.

Nice work you've done. But how much does this matter anyways? You talk about facts in an earlier post, but the reality is, that video game console sales aren't really scientifically researched. So everything we can do is actually more along the lines of educated guesses.

1. You counted exclusives as if they were decisive. How was the launch with exclusives for PS4 and XB1? Right, both had not much to show in that regard. Exclusive counts always look great in theory, but in the end GTA, FIFA, COD and so on will be the games that sell. Yes, many customers buy consoles, but never any exclusive game.

2. I find it always mind-boggling, how console focused this site is and just forgets about the rest of the gaming market. Because, if we look in reality, what can we see:

• Who has the most exclusives? → PC
  • Who has the best backwards compatibility? → PC
  • Who has the best ability to mod? → PC
  • Who has the multiplats cheapest? → PC

So why do consoles sell at all? Because there is more to it than just exclusive counts and similar stuff. So while your counting may influence some to buy a PS5 at launch (it seems it has convinced yourself), don't count on it being the only factor making people buy a console.

3. You ignore the value proposition which is gamepass. I am not an XBox-fan, and the value of this service makes an incredible impression on me. As I said before, people decide to play on consoles despite the PC as platform exists, so I see the possibility for people getting an XBox as an Gamepass-machine. I have no idea how many, but disregarding this option is just not working.

4. People bought initially PS4 without much to show for it. A reason was probably their trust in future games. With studio acquisitions including Bethesda, MS can show a lot in that regard. Your past count isn't doing much, if we can look forward to Obsidian, InXile, DoubleFine and all Bethesda studios in the future. All of these don't influence your past years count, but most likely will influence a future count.

So do I think Xbox will beat Playstation at launch? I actually have no idea at all. Playstation has a pretty big boon: it has a very enthusiastic and big fanbase, which buy their consoles on brand power. Well, home consoles at least. So that clearly is a factor in favor of PS5. But overall I have no idea, I'll see. Only thing I take for certain based on historical data: the console at it's peak will beat the launch consoles.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
chakkra said:

Hehehe, I see things are heating up in here. Okay, let me enter the fray; I already said that I think whichever has more stock between XsX and PS5 is going to win the holiday season; BUT, I think there is a HIGH chance that MS will have more units ready this year, so yeah, I think there is a high chance that the PS5 will be in the last place.

It would be a major upset if Xbox sold more than PS globally. In the USA I can see Xbox selling more because of stock allocation, sure. Microsoft doesn't have the worldwide appeal to necessitate an even spread of their stock, so they can load up the USA.

In a hypothetical situation where both companies had limitless supply, Sony would definitely sell more units worldwide, because too many countries dislike Xbox. But reality will have limited supply, so the different distribution between individual regions favors an Xbox win in the USA while PS still wins globally.

I'm having the hardest time following your line of thought here. Are you saying that if Sony manufactures 4.5m units and MS manufactures 5m units, the PS5 would still sell more globally?

For Xbox and ps I guess it depends on how much stock they can produce relative to one another

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

The switch will be #1 and stay #1 until the switch pro announcement. It will dip and then will be back at #1 when the pro is released and will be #1 for most of the generation.

Xbox will be second or first this new gen due to game pass and exclusives.

Sony could really lose this Gen. 70$ games will not go well.

Last edited by BlackBeauty - on 14 October 2020

BlackBeauty said:

The switch will be #1 and stay #1 until the switch pro announcement. It will dip and then will be back at #1 when the pro is released and will be #1 for most of the generation.

Time will tell if you're right.

Do you have lifetime predictions for the 3?

Replicant said:
BlackBeauty said:

Time will tell if you're right.

Do you have lifetime predictions for the 3?

People complained about the 'Switch Tax' for games on the Switch being 10 dollars more than their PS4/XBO counterparts (At least indies and stuff), and that hasn't negatively impacted the Switch's sales either for hardware or software. 

soooo, yeah, we'll see. I'll prepare your humble pie, and I'll prepare myself some crow just in case. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android