By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch, PS5 and Series X/S - What 9th gen console will sell most this Holiday?

Which 9th gen system will sell the most this Holiday?

Switch 95 67.38%

PS5 40 28.37%

Series X/S 6 4.26%

Total:141

silly question. PS5 is hugely supply constrained. 10 mil by March 2021.

Around the Network

Switch should take this easily enough. PS5 won't have the supply to compete in sheer numbers and Xbox brand simply lacks the traction right now. Next holidays will be a lot more interesting.

Switch. No doubt.

Switch is killing it this year and PS/Xbox will be limited by stock.

Which ever can stock more between Switch and PS5

Everything from everyone will sell out. Switch has been selling out consistently since March. It comes down to who makes the most product.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

The Switch by a long shot. I'm sure PS5 will have a big launch holiday, but it won't come close to a Switch that will be capping off a close to 30 million selling year. Switch already easily outsells the best PS4 holidays, and PS5 at launch is not gonna be hitting peak holiday PS4 numbers. Switch will probably sell in November and December as much as PS5 and XboxSeries sell combined.

Otter said:

Why has no one bothered to put numbers?

How much do y'all think Switch vs the others?

And genuine question as I have no idea what normal holiday sales/shipments are for console launches  or for systems like the Wii/DS/PS2 etc

Shipments numbers Q3

Switch - 15 million

PS4 - 7 million

XBS - 5 million

Switch Nov+Dec > 13 million

2020 predictions: NSW 25m, PS5 6m, XSX 4.5m, PS4 9m, XB1 3m

In December 2019 i predicted 21m Switch, but that was before COVID, obvius increased my predictions.

Last year the Switch sold 10.8m in the last 3 months in the holiday period. I don't see more than last year when PS5 and the new Xboxes are coming out. It doesn't seem to be based on any reality. I would expect the PS5 to have stock around 8m if their aim is 11m by March, and I would expect these to all be sold. On top PS4 will no doubt still sell several million worldwide. If Microsoft's aim is 5m I expect these to go too. There is no Switch lite boost this year and no huge must have games. I can see the win if there are sales for the Switch but I'm thinking less than a million over PS5.

Agente42 said:
Shiken said:

You do realize that a typical home console cycle for Nintendo has been about 5 years with only the Wii lasting 6, right?

So the notion that the WiiU ending 1 year earlier than their average making Switch an 8th gen restart is hilariously flawed to say the least.  Even when presented with a scenario where the timing means nothing, you are still in denial.  But you are free to believe what you want, that doesn't make it correct however.

Switch is 9th gen. Heir of 3DS and Wiiu. 

The Switch will be the first multigenerational console, as it has and will DIRECTLY compete against 2 different generations. It came out in Gen 8, and will extend to Gen 9. As I said before, Nintendo seemingly wants to extend the Switch lifetime to last for Gen 9. With a Switch Pro, a long lasting hybrid platform? It would work. The Nintendo Switch is Gen 8-9. I can't put it any more bluntly without being offensive. 

Shiken said:
KingJames said:

The Switch will be an 8th gen console that will extend into the 9th gen. Who knows how long they will extend the Switch family into said gen. A "Switch Pro" would be the 9th gen version of the Switch, are you seriously not understanding that concept? Ps4 and XB1 lifecycle ends at 7 years, just like PS3 and less than X360. Yes, Nintendo started over. Wii U got DISCONTINUED 4 years and 2 months after launch. Switch is around 7 months away from passing its lifecycle. Nearly every site and source online cites the Switch as an 8th gen console. End of discussion. 

You do realize that a typical home console cycle for Nintendo has been about 5 years with only the Wii lasting 6, right?

So the notion that the WiiU ending 1 year earlier than their average making Switch an 8th gen restart is hilariously flawed to say the least.  Even when presented with a scenario where the timing means nothing, you are still in denial.  But you are free to believe what you want, that doesn't make it correct however.

You are acting like a smartass when the answer is clear. Others agree with you though so you feel you're right. A real shame.