By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - [Update: Switch Won] Switch, PS5 and Series X/S - What 9th gen console will sell most this Holiday?

Which 9th gen system will sell the most this Holiday?

Switch 102 67.11%

PS5 44 28.95%

Series X/S 6 3.95%

Total:152
Agente42 said:
Shiken said:

You do realize that a typical home console cycle for Nintendo has been about 5 years with only the Wii lasting 6, right?

So the notion that the WiiU ending 1 year earlier than their average making Switch an 8th gen restart is hilariously flawed to say the least.  Even when presented with a scenario where the timing means nothing, you are still in denial.  But you are free to believe what you want, that doesn't make it correct however.

Switch is 9th gen. Heir of 3DS and Wiiu. 

The Switch will be the first multigenerational console, as it has and will DIRECTLY compete against 2 different generations. It came out in Gen 8, and will extend to Gen 9. As I said before, Nintendo seemingly wants to extend the Switch lifetime to last for Gen 9. With a Switch Pro, a long lasting hybrid platform? It would work. The Nintendo Switch is Gen 8-9. I can't put it any more bluntly without being offensive. 

Around the Network
Shiken said:
KingJames said:

The Switch will be an 8th gen console that will extend into the 9th gen. Who knows how long they will extend the Switch family into said gen. A "Switch Pro" would be the 9th gen version of the Switch, are you seriously not understanding that concept? Ps4 and XB1 lifecycle ends at 7 years, just like PS3 and less than X360. Yes, Nintendo started over. Wii U got DISCONTINUED 4 years and 2 months after launch. Switch is around 7 months away from passing its lifecycle. Nearly every site and source online cites the Switch as an 8th gen console. End of discussion. 

You do realize that a typical home console cycle for Nintendo has been about 5 years with only the Wii lasting 6, right?

So the notion that the WiiU ending 1 year earlier than their average making Switch an 8th gen restart is hilariously flawed to say the least.  Even when presented with a scenario where the timing means nothing, you are still in denial.  But you are free to believe what you want, that doesn't make it correct however.

You are acting like a smartass when the answer is clear. Others agree with you though so you feel you're right. A real shame.

KingJames said:
Shiken said:

You are acting like a smartass when the answer is clear. Others agree with you though so you feel you're right. A real shame.

The answer is indeed clear.  Sony and MS used mid-gen refreshes to extend their gen 8 console, while Nintendo did not and just put out their gen 9 console.  I mean shit, if the Switch gets a mid-gen refresh then all it does is even the timelines back out.  Even the math based on these facts add up.

It really is that simple, whether people agree with me or not.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
KingJames said:

The answer is indeed clear.  Sony and MS used mid-gen refreshes to extend their gen 8 console, while Nintendo did not and just put out their gen 9 console.  I mean shit, if the Switch gets a mid-gen refresh then all it does is even the timelines back out.  Even the math based on these facts add up.

It really is that simple, whether people agree with me or not.

Yea nothing else I can say to help you figure it out I guess. End of discussion. 

I'm curious what silly goose actually voted for Xbox Series X/S.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Xsx hands down. It’s more powerful than the ps5 but same price. Game pass is a megaton especially with Bethesda acquisition. From twitter and other social media platforms Sony is losing mindshare and the old arrogant Sony is back. I mean a less powerful console priced the same as the beast XSX? It’s a no brainier really.

X1Gates said:
Xsx hands down. It’s more powerful than the ps5 but same price. Game pass is a megaton especially with Bethesda acquisition. From twitter and other social media platforms Sony is losing mindshare and the old arrogant Sony is back. I mean a less powerful console priced the same as the beast XSX? It’s a no brainier really.

In your opinion, I'm sure it's a no brainer. Many people value PS exclusives more highly than you and being able to play future PS5 exclusives as well as all your current PS4 games through BC is going to entice a large part of the market.

Regarding your point about XBX being stronger and costing the same as PS5 is kinda moot when talking holiday sales. Xbox One was weaker AND cost $100 more than PS4 but still sold out in holiday 2013.

If stock allows it, I'm quite sure PS5 will sell the most. But whether if I'm right or wrong, I certainly don't see Xbox ending on top as a no brainer. Remember OP is talking about worldwide holiday sales.

Edit: Of all 3, Switch is going to sell the most. It's been killing it all year and PS5/XBX will be limited by stock.

Last edited by Replicant - on 12 October 2020

Why even ask?

Easily the Switch.

Easy win for PS5.

If ps5 had enough stock ps5 without even a scratch.

But since when is a 3(and some months) old system is a 9 genn?
Wiiu failed thats why they made the switch.

But switch will prob sell more.
More stock
Cheaper
More games

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil