By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - [Update: Switch Won] Switch, PS5 and Series X/S - What 9th gen console will sell most this Holiday?

Which 9th gen system will sell the most this Holiday?

Switch 102 67.11%

PS5 44 28.95%

Series X/S 6 3.95%

Total:152

As the title implies, which 9th gen system do you guys think will sell the most? Since now we know all/almost everything about every console going into this Holiday, I think it's as good a time as any to make the question.

I do feel that this is somewhat unfair, because the Switch has a 3 year headstart compared to the others, and has an already stabilished library and good will towards it, but that's the reality of the industry.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
The switch is amazing in that I think it's the only device that is constantly in every generation. The 9th is the one I disagree with most.
If it's considered a miracle that the system can play a game from early 8th generation - considering it 9th generation is hilarious.

That said probably Switch. Cheaper and more of a game base.

What are you on about? What multiplatform games a platform plays doesn't determine if a platform is in a gen or not.

Bandorr said:
Wyrdness said:

What are you on about? What multiplatform games a platform plays doesn't determine if a platform is in a gen or not.

What does then? The Switch is considered Gen 9 because The WIi U was a massive bust.

If they had back to back bust would the Switch have been Gen 10 then?

Why is the X1X not considered a new generation? The PS4 pro was barely an update but consider the original X1 and the X1X - huge difference.

What causes a generation change?

It's not rocket science Switch is 9th gen because it's a new platform succeeds a 8th gen platform yes it's that simple, X1X and PS4P were not new platforms they were versions of current platforms hence why they're not consider new gen platforms they didn't succeed the X1 and PS4.

Bandorr said:
Wyrdness said:

What does then? The Switch is considered Gen 9 because The WIi U was a massive bust.

Why is the X1X not considered a new generation? The PS4 pro was barely an update but consider the original X1 and the X1X - huge difference.

"What does then?" and "What causes a generation change?
When a company launches a successor that is on the market for at least 4 years, then that system is in a new generation.  The first company to do this starts the next generation.  That's the way it has always been.

"The Switch is considered Gen 9 because The WIi U was a massive bust."
The Switch is considered Gen 9, because it is the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS.  Both were Generation 8 systems.  The Gamecube was a massive bust and the Wii was still next gen.  The Saturn was an even more massive bust and the Dreamcast was considered next gen.  A failed system still counts as long as it is supported for a whole generation.  That is the way it has always been.

"If they had back to back bust would the Switch have been Gen 10 then?"
The N64 and Gamecube were both failed systems, and they both counted for a whole generation.  The Wii was still a Generation 7 system.

"Why is the X1X not considered a new generation?"
Because it has the same game library that the normal XBox1 does.  It's just an upgrade like the DSi or New 3DS, and these have never caused a new generation.

Wyrdness said:
Bandorr said:

It's not rocket science Switch is 9th gen because it's a new platform succeeds a 8th gen platform yes it's that simple, X1X and PS4P were not new platforms they were versions of current platforms hence why they're not consider new gen platforms they didn't succeed the X1 and PS4.

We should just end the madness now and consider every variation to be a new generation. Congrats everyone, we made it to gen 35! Well done, especially you in the back! I've noticed how much hard work you've done, excellent job!

Around the Network

PS5 would but it won't have enough stock. So Switch this holiday.

Dulfite said:
Wyrdness said:

We should just end the madness now and consider every variation to be a new generation. Congrats everyone, we made it to gen 35! Well done, especially you in the back! I've noticed how much hard work you've done, excellent job!

Going by the amount of platform versions in Gen 1 and 2 I think we may actually be in the 40s at this point.

Switch by a wide margin. It sold close to 9 mil in Nov + Dec last year, and the new consoles won't get close to that.
In fact here's my prediction: Switch will sell more in Nov + Dec than PS5 and Xbox Series combined.

Ofc the Switch gets a headstart because the other systems aren't released at the beginning of November and without that I wouldn't be making that prediction.
My concrete predictions for Nov + Dec sales:
Switch - 9,5 mil
PS5 - 5,2 mil
Xbox Series - 3,4 mil

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Marth said:
Switch is in the prime of its lifecycle and PS5 and XSX need time for ramping up so this won't be much of a fight.

A more interesting question is, can ps5 and Series X|S beat the Switch? Can enough systems be shipped?

Bandorr said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

"What does then?" and "What causes a generation change?
When a company launches a successor that is on the market for at least 4 years, then that system is in a new generation.  The first company to do this starts the next generation.  That's the way it has always been.

"The Switch is considered Gen 9 because The WIi U was a massive bust."
The Switch is considered Gen 9, because it is the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS.  Both were Generation 8 systems.  The Gamecube was a massive bust and the Wii was still next gen.  The Saturn was an even more massive bust and the Dreamcast was considered next gen.  A failed system still counts as long as it is supported for a whole generation.  That is the way it has always been.

"If they had back to back bust would the Switch have been Gen 10 then?"
The N64 and Gamecube were both failed systems, and they both counted for a whole generation.  The Wii was still a Generation 7 system.

"Why is the X1X not considered a new generation?"
Because it has the same game library that the normal XBox1 does.  It's just an upgrade like the DSi or New 3DS, and these have never caused a new generation.

Well written post that answered all my questions. Thank you.  I hadn't considered the success of the N64 or gamecube before.

Do you think it is possible we will see generations with only one console? If one releases one every 4 years and the others every 7 or 8 we may end up with empty generations.

Anyways those we all quite helpful so thanks.

I think how we define both console and generation will likely change a lot in Generation 10 (i.e. PS6 generation).  Nintendo and Microsoft are changing the console market in dramatic ways.  Nintendo has their hybrid system which is clearly extremely successful.  It's somewhat like both a home system and a handheld system, but really it's a new thing entirely.  Microsoft is emphasizing Gamepass/xCloud and that is going to be somewhat successful if for no other reason than they just bought a bunch of game studios.  I think the PS6 is going to have to be some kind of significant response to what either Nintendo or Microsoft is doing (or maybe both).  I don't think the PS6 can just be another more powerful iteration like we got with PS1-PS5.

So, we are just going to have to wait and see how Generation 9 plays out, but it may be the last time we get traditional home consoles with games sold separately like Generations 2-8.  So, this may not directly answer your question, but I'm just saying these kind of questions may be moot in a few years.