By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any shmup fans?

Did you call it a shmup?

It's shoot em up not shmup 9 40.91%

It's not bullet hell it's bullet heaven! 2 9.09%

Bang bang pull my bullet trigger! 11 50.00%

Total:22

Shmups are now in the decline phase this year and next year. We can only depend on smaller devs to deliver now like Andro 2

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

Are there any open world Shmup games? Or are they all side scrolling/top down, linear games? Is that part of the genre is for them to be on rails?

super_etecoon said:

Are there any open world Shmup games? Or are they all side scrolling/top down, linear games? Is that part of the genre is for them to be on rails?

The 3D shmups are called On Rails.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

SegaHeart said:
super_etecoon said:

I suppose I should have put "On rails" in quotes.  I was using it as a blanket term to differentiate it from a map that you could move freely in a large space.  All the shmups I remember seem to take place on at most a screen width or length.

Today I played Danmaku 3 Unlimited though the video I'm uploading is old below, I gotta say the colors are less bothersome than that other game Ghost Blade HD on Switch which the bullet palletes and Environment hurt me too much. But Danmaku hurt me alittle but was playable It's a good vertical Shmup for 3 dollars.

Around the Network

I do not consider myself a fan of shmups, but one game in the genre I always liked is Tyrian.

I like the generator system, the weapon shop and the story of this game. The graphics was great as well and I have some remixes on my playlist of music created for the game. 

It is old but still holds up well, and even better, it is free on GoG for anyone who wish to try it out. 

SegaHeart said:
super_etecoon said:

Basically Lylat Wars/Star Fox.

Sadly, not a big genre that gets much of a look-in these days.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Telling the difference from a great shmup I play and majority of Japanese players will put their name on the leaderboards even though 99% of them got beat by me in the leaderboards like this game I'm 9 players worldwide I beat up 300,000 players world wide in Bullet Soul Infinite Burst 

And Mushihimesama in Arrange mode the hardest mode I beat up alot of players barely trying another game where game design is amazing and bullet patterns and the right chaos of bullet from opponents feels good dodging is great to bad the leaderboards are horrible and wont work on Switch but the game is great I love it check out my dodging skills in first 3 levels of Mushihimesama and entire video above of Bullet Soul Infinite Burst playing burst mode the hardest mode

It's sad Cave and 5pd and Taito and Raizing and other old school shmup makers cant make new entries but instead we get dumb ports like seriously I want new games not ports I can just use an retro arch for that thats why Mushihimesama on Switch undersold extremely bad worser than Doom 2016 on Switch

Games that are not needed I struggle and Switch and PS4 crowd got fed these type of new games 

I will always Hate Ghost Blade HD worst vertical shmup I die easily and the patterns are more random unlike Mushihimesama bullet patterns are nicely placed and theres like 300 more bullets on screen being thrown at me compared to this awful game Ghost Blade Hd which has like 100 bullets and I die easily because the placements are screwy like what's up with enemies attacking like this why are they aggressive in a manner that degrades me? and the bullet pallete colors are fatter and brighter than Mushimesama I hate fatter bullets in Ghost Blade HD

ANother mess the American SHmups dont know how to pattern their bullets and their music is horrendus looking at these Project Starship X

South America did it worser than USA they made Dinininho the worst shmup ever

Sisters Royale is new game is a new japanese game but is this game beyond underwelming anyway this player did great but the gameplay is boring for a vertical shmup the vertical shmup scene is horrible new vertical shmups are horrendus or get ports like wtf is this I already have this on retro archwhat is Taito doing? I already have LAyer section on Sega Saturn dont need a port are they scared to make a new shmup hate this mentality, sisters royale is made from japanese developer and the game sucks but the players 1cc this awful game below can handle awful games . the only good thing new generation of shmup developers are doing good is Horizontal shmups , I think I'll just have to accept veritcal shmup is harder than horizontal shmup for new games making, BTW all the videos are me playing except sisters royale which I dont wanna associate myself on this.Lifetime sales of Doom 2016 was 300,000 not even 1/2 a millionsales and theres no word of Mushihimesama sales failure on switch. Bullet Soul Infinite Burst developers love Xbox too much so they hate switch and Playstation. 

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 22 June 2022