By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Great graphics, shame about the gameplay

God of War 1-A. Mindless button mashing Square. Horrible characters and story. GOW3 had one really disturbing scene how he treats a woman in a dungeon. GoW Reboot is..ok. Combat is still western melee so eh. Story is nice but the enemy variety is very poor. They did not go full open world but Zelda style hub world. It was decent. Rest of the series are just meh. I rather play Rygar on PS2 than GOW. Rygar is mediocre but still more enjoyable.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
I agree with Trine. The first one was pretty decent but didn't finish it, I lost interest quickly in the second one.

Never played any of Trines alone, always 3 people coop, but liked 1 and 2, 3 was not so great, 4 is ok.

mZuzek said:
Some people mentioning some indie games reminded me of Limbo. It's not exactly the highest fidelity game out there, neither is it exactly pretty, but the visuals and audio sure did a great job of setting up a dark and sinister atmosphere, the game felt so iconic and unique. Except, you know, the gameplay itself was boring. I was done with it within 3 hours, and only for the last half hour did I feel like anything interesting was going on, then you're just met with an abrupt ending and that's it. The whole thing felt like a big setup to something that never came.

That said, I still have some interest in Inside, it does look like a massive improvement. But Limbo soured me enough on it that I don't really feel that urge to ever try it out. Who knows, maybe I'll get to it someday.

I really like Limbo, both atmosphere and gameplay, it is mix of game and experience (reason I like Journey and FAR: Lone Sails as well), but Inside was dissapointing for me, not enough puzzles and honestly didn't care much for the whole setting.



curl-6 said:
brendude13 said:

Unpopular opinion.

I HATED Journey. Pretentious and boring game.

Oh I totally agree, it was a complete bore. Not even really a game, just one very long and dull cutscene.

It is the most overrated game of all time for sure. Some people claimed that it was the game of the decade, or even the best game they ever played, huh? I guess they had played exclusively Pong? But even Pong has more gameplay so I take that back.



Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:
I agree with Trine. The first one was pretty decent but didn't finish it, I lost interest quickly in the second one.

Never played any of Trines alone, always 3 people coop, but liked 1 and 2, 3 was not so great, 4 is ok.

m0ney said:
curl-6 said:

Oh I totally agree, it was a complete bore. Not even really a game, just one very long and dull cutscene.

It is the most overrated game of all time for sure. Some people claimed that it was the game of the decade, or even the best game they ever played, huh? I guess they had played exclusively Pong? But even Pong has more gameplay so I take that back.

That's the difference I guess. I played Trine alone, didn't like it. I played Journey about 20 times from start to finish, different experience each time with random people. From speed running to exploring off limit areas.



COD Modern Warfare 2 also comes to mind, come to think of it.
At release, one of the best looking games on PS3/360 but the levels just weren't as engaging or fun as its predecessor.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Starfox adventures



Leynos said:
God of War 1-A. Mindless button mashing Square. Horrible characters and story. GOW3 had one really disturbing scene how he treats a woman in a dungeon. GoW Reboot is..ok. Combat is still western melee so eh. Story is nice but the enemy variety is very poor. They did not go full open world but Zelda style hub world. It was decent. Rest of the series are just meh. I rather play Rygar on PS2 than GOW. Rygar is mediocre but still more enjoyable.

Crush her under a lever to keep a gate open?

It fitted what he was,he did not care about anything but his revenge and everything else was a tool to get to that.



The Order: 1886 is another good choice. I probably took more time appreciating the details like the oil lamps during that night section than any aspect of its game design. Sure, the shooting felt... functional but not the extent expected. I remember the insane power of the coach gun (spread-shotty) & auto-pistol just made you coast through the entire game. I wanted to say I breezed through it on its toughest difficulty too, but I don't even remember if it had difficulty settings.



coolbeans said:
The Order: 1886 is another good choice. I probably took more time appreciating the details like the oil lamps during that night section than any aspect of its game design. Sure, the shooting felt... functional but not the extent expected. I remember the insane power of the coach gun (spread-shotty) & auto-pistol just made you coast through the entire game. I wanted to say I breezed through it on its toughest difficulty too, but I don't even remember if it had difficulty settings.

Yeah that one seems a classic example of when graphics get 90% of the dev's attention. It's still one of the best looking games on console I reckon, but it's clear gameplay took a back seat. One of the constant perils of AAA game development. You end up spending so much to make it stand out from the competition visually that doing anything beyond cookie cutter for the gameplay is seen as too risky.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
coolbeans said:
The Order: 1886 is another good choice. I probably took more time appreciating the details like the oil lamps during that night section than any aspect of its game design. Sure, the shooting felt... functional but not the extent expected. I remember the insane power of the coach gun (spread-shotty) & auto-pistol just made you coast through the entire game. I wanted to say I breezed through it on its toughest difficulty too, but I don't even remember if it had difficulty settings.

Yeah that one seems a classic example of when graphics get 90% of the dev's attention. It's still one of the best looking games on console I reckon, but it's clear gameplay took a back seat. One of the constant perils of AAA game development. You end up spending so much to make it stand out from the competition visually that doing anything beyond cookie cutter for the gameplay is seen as too risky.

Let's not forget one quality where enhanced visuals directly inhibit gameplay engagement as well: the 2:40:1 aspect ratio.  It's one thing for David Cage to do it in a more heavily-scripted cinematic ride like Beyond: Two Souls, it's something else in a game reliant on hiding behind cover.  You get more latitude to bump up AA & effects with having less pixels needed onscreen, but the fights feel more constrained in it.