Forums - Gaming Discussion - So… is Ori on Switch a good or bad move from MS?

Tagged games:

Is that good or bad for MS?

good 52 76.47%

bad 5 7.35%

maybe not much effect 10 14.71%

could go either way 1 1.47%

Total:68
d21lewis said:
One more thing in defense of this: Even back in the days of the original Xbox, Microsoft games appeared on Nintendo platforms (The GBA to be specific).

Back then Microsoft's strategical goal was a different one. It would have been too tall of a task for them to launch their own handheld console to keep Sony at bay with their multimedia push, so they did the next best thing and put games on the GBA and DS to help Nintendo's chances to win (Microsoft's games didn't make any difference, but that was their intent). Of course we know in hindsight that eventually the iPhone and smartphones on the whole buried Sony's ambitions, so there was no point whatsoever for Microsoft to support the 3DS in the same way, because Sony got beat to a bloody pulp anyway.

Minecraft on the New 3DS arrived at a point in time where Microsoft had already decided to start their current strategy of decentralizing their Xbox business. All their games on PC, plus Minecraft on Wii U, New 3DS and later on Switch. Minecraft on Vita and PS4 predated Microsoft's ownership of Minecraft; they could have cut support for those versions, but I suppose they decided against doing that because after the Xbox One disaster under Don Mattrick they were aiming to build goodwill, and pulling Minecraft support for PS consoles would have been a total jackass move to reinforce their image of an evil corporation.

In any case, if nothing else, Microsoft spreading their games to other platforms has made them less hated. If that helps, and if yes, how much, will have to be seen. Xbox One's image was set a long time ago, but we are on the verge of the generational reset where minds are open to view Microsoft in a different light.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Microsoft has been releasing games on Nintendo consoles since they became a platform maker.

Diddy Kong Pilot GBA (2002)
Saberwulf GBA (2004)
Minecraft WiiU (2014)
Ori and the blind forest (2019)
Cuphead (2019)

It has nothing to do with them becoming derelict and giving up and abandoning their business. That is a really emotional thing to say and really sad.

The assertion that Ori and the Will of the Wisps releasing on Switch is the "final nail in the coffin" for Xbox Series is a hilariously bad take, but again, anyone familiar with this particular individual shouldn't be surprised, they're a textbook console warrior.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

It was just over a year ago that MS said this wouldn't be happening any more going forward, ( it was also discussed here, at least in a news article, if not a dedicated thread ) so of course it happened.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826296/microsoft-xbox-exclusives-nintendo-switch-ps4-no-plans-comment

That was covered by multiple outlets.

As for whether it's good for MS? Good I guess. Fairly inconsequential though.

Chinese food for breakfast

COKTOE said:

It was just over a year ago that MS said this wouldn't be happening any more going forward, ( it was also discussed here, at least in a news article, if not a dedicated thread ) so of course it happened.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826296/microsoft-xbox-exclusives-nintendo-switch-ps4-no-plans-comment

I remember calling BS on that at the time and saying we'd likely see more Xbox Game Studios titles brought to Switch, and being told that no, I was wrong, it was official from MS that there would be no more, end of story. And here we are.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 September 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
padib said:

Microsoft has been releasing games on Nintendo consoles since they became a platform maker.

Saberwulf GBA (2004)
Minecraft WiiU (2014)
Cuphead (2019)

It has nothing to do with them becoming derelict and giving up and abandoning their business. That is a really emotional thing to say and really sad.

You're missing a few. Just off the top of my head, MechAssault and Age Of Empires were on the DS, and I remember those because I owned both of them. Could be more.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 20 September 2020

curl-6 said:
COKTOE said:

I remember calling BS on that at the time and saying we'd likely see more Xbox Game Studios titles brought to Switch, and being told that no, I was wrong, it was official from MS that there would be no more, end of story. And here we are.

Well, congrats. I have to stop being lazy and bookmark my predictions for future bragging rights/self deprication.

Exclusives only matter for so long. After the game has been out for a while, it isn’t really helping the console much by staying exclusive. Honestly, I think all console makers should treat their first party games as timed exclusives. After a year or two, port them to the other consoles. Increase sales and fan bases for your games while still retaining the biggest sales and hardware impact for your system.

gergroy said:
Exclusives only matter for so long. After the game has been out for a while, it isn’t really helping the console much by staying exclusive. Honestly, I think all console makers should treat their first party games as timed exclusives. After a year or two, port them to the other consoles. Increase sales and fan bases for your games while still retaining the biggest sales and hardware impact for your system.

Depends on the game, really. Breath of the Wild being a Switch "exclusive" is still a big deal and will probably be a big deal for as long as the console is around. Then again, if Nintendo were to port it to other platforms, the sheer amount of money they'd make on software sales would be pretty ridiculous.

COKTOE said:
padib said:

Saberwulf GBA (2004)
Minecraft WiiU (2014)
Cuphead (2019)

You're missing a few. Just off the top of my head, MechAssault and Age Of Empires were on the DS, and I remember those because I owned both of them. Could be more.

Also blue dragon DS and viva pinata pocket DS,Banjo grunties revenge

Last edited by dx11332sega - on 20 September 2020

My xbl:dx11332sega

My second Xbl:Segasaturnsan

My psn:Segasaturnsan

My Nintendo Friend Code:1302-4985-4999

My Steam:dx11332sega

My youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2EeIs1FP89Oz7du7IAEbqg?view_as=subscriber