By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So… is Ori on Switch a good or bad move from MS?

Tagged games:

Is that good or bad for MS?

good 52 76.47%

bad 5 7.35%

maybe not much effect 10 14.71%

could go either way 1 1.47%

Total:68

I think it is a terrible move, they are giving away one of their strongest exclusives, when they are already short on good exclusives. It makes me lose trust in the Xbox brand. Why buy into it, when there is close to nothing you cannot get on competing hardware?

Around the Network
vivster said:
There is a good chance that the CEO of Microsoft doesn't even know that game exists. So yeah, I'd consider that move inconsequential.

Daaaaaang

For the gamers?
__ a good move
For the bank account of the developers?
__ a good move
For XBox as a brand and potential recurring money from gamers?
__ worst move ever

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Any move that is good for Nintendo is a terrible move in Ryuzaki57's point of view.

Signature goes here!

It appears that MS has different goals then the traditional console war people are use to. With gamepass content seems to be where they are going and after testing their Could platform on my Android phone, MS probably going to be more focused on games and eco system then hardware marketshare. If MS is able to get Nintendo gamers to purchase a gamepass sub, they would consider that a big win then trying to convert them to purchase a Xbox hardware.

Around the Network
Vinther1991 said:
I think it is a terrible move, they are giving away one of their strongest exclusives, when they are already short on good exclusives. It makes me lose trust in the Xbox brand. Why buy into it, when there is close to nothing you cannot get on competing hardware?

I don't think they care. They want to sell people on Game Pass. If they can make some more money elsewhere, then its a viable option for them to branch out.

Imo by now most people interested in the game on Xbox probably already have the game or have access to it via Game Pass. And is also available on PC. So its free money for MS. Its not like most Nintendo gamers were going to buy an Xbox for Ori so why not. On the other hand, it does water your library having your game on other consoles. This is good for gamers and neg for Xbox as a brand (console), but good for Microsoft lol.

Last edited by hinch - on 18 September 2020

I'm pretty sure Microsoft cares more about software sales and services than hardware at this point. If they could trade their whole hardware business for the chance of offering the Game Pass on Playstation and Nintendo consoles, I think they would.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Ori probably sold better on switch than Xbox lol.

MS is and has always been a software company. Their hardware brands - XB and Surface are the most obvious right now - exist to expand or hold on to software market share.

With Surface, MS didn't see anybody making Windows products to compete well with the sleek style and coolness of Apple. So, they made the hardware to do that themselves.

With XB, MS wanted to expand their share of the gaming market, so they created an ecosystem. They've flat out told us that they don't give a shit about selling XB consoles. They care about selling software (specifically GP and XCloud, both reliant on MS' gigantic cloud computing business). Their push into streaming and subscription service with GP is yet another example that it's about software sales (I guess we should say revenue from software, since it's arguably not direct sales of software anymore), not hardware.

With that said, they do sell a lot of accessories for both Surface and XB, which is another source of revenue that they get because they sell hardware.

Tl;dr - I agree with the comments that MS is looking at the market differently than were used to, and possibly sees it differently than Sony does.

No idea how this is a bad thing.. Ori has flown its flag, its done its sales on Steam, Windows and Xbox, how is it that making more money end up a bad thing?