Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jimquisition about if you should buy games from bad companies

It all depends of what you call shitty companies... but I don't buy games I consider shitty.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

If the game makes use of tactics that go against your principles, then it matters directly. Depending on the level of the offense and depending on how much you love the series or preview of a new IP, you will need to take a choice to respect your values. That's basic self-respect.

Good thing some of these shitty publishers aren't able to output some good software. Makes the task of no buying from them all the more easier.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Jpcc86 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not really. Just willing to acknowledge the truth that every video game company puts themselves first and only cares about their customers when it benefits them.

Speaking in general terms like you are, thats every company of every industry ever in the world in every single branch of commerce. That doesnt make them "shitty", that is literally whats needs to be done for a company - any company - to exist. 

Yep, "good" companies don't exist. They want to make money off of you, that's it. They're not your friend and never will be. The local mechanic may well be your friend and be willing to help you out. But big multi-national companies absolutely aren't.

Some companies are shittier than others, sure. But the less shitty ones are still shitty.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Speaking in general terms like you are, thats every company of every industry ever in the world in every single branch of commerce. That doesnt make them "shitty", that is literally whats needs to be done for a company - any company - to exist. 

Yep, "good" companies don't exist. They want to make money off of you, that's it. They're not your friend and never will be. The local mechanic may well be your friend and be willing to help you out. But big multi-national companies absolutely aren't.

Some companies are shittier than others, sure. But the less shitty ones are still shitty.

It is basically a matter of finding the company which the greed and interest give you the better product for your need.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

"That's why it's okay if I vote for Trump. The other guy isn't good either."

This guy is insufferable. Also, I'm pretty sure Jim hates just about everything lol - especially Ubisoft. He sure does moan a hell of a lot in his videos about a hobby he likes (to hate). Gotta pay the bills I guess, for the hits. There are so many of these 'I hate modern AAA games' on his channel, its gotten to a point on preaching :P That, and Jim's constant political leftist views are constantly rammed in our faces. He was good before, now he's just like every other ResetEra drone.

But yeah I just buy games that I like. I just avoid the crap stuff like micro-transactions. And if there are planned DLC season which are integral, I just wait for the complete editions. You can't really avoid shitty practices. Hell, even Nintendo are dabbing into microtransactions and split DLC content.

Jpcc86 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not really. Just willing to acknowledge the truth that every video game company puts themselves first and only cares about their customers when it benefits them.

That is basically saying: don't criticize the player, criticize the game. And I agree partially: capitalism is a screwed up system and needs to be reformed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Mnementh said:
Jpcc86 said:

That is basically saying: don't criticize the player, criticize the game. And I agree partially: capitalism is a screwed up system and needs to be reformed.

While I agree with that, I meant it more in the sense that I dont see a company looking for its own interests as "shitty", cause thats the only way companies thrive, so to me thats amoral in itself. Speaking generally, without talking about specific practices, the idea that a company has to put itself first is the way it should be. 

I guess the "shitty" part is relative, but I personally link it more to "dishonest practices" like misleading marketing, "pay to win" models and such.
Ideally as Ferrari said, their interest of making money shouldnt come at the expense of their product's quality, and thats what we should support. I suppose that could be Jim Sterling's point too. 

Jpcc86 said:
Mnementh said:

While I agree with that, I meant it more in the sense that I dont see a company looking for its own interests as "shitty", cause thats the only way companies thrive, so to me thats amoral in itself. Speaking generally, without talking about specific practices, the idea that a company has to put itself first is the way it should be. 

I guess the "shitty" part is relative, but I personally link it more to "dishonest practices" like misleading marketing, "pay to win" models and such.
Ideally as Ferrari said, their interest of making money shouldnt come at the expense of their product's quality, and thats what we should support. I suppose that could be Jim Sterling's point too. 

Sterling speaks both about practices like microtransactions, but also about abuse allegations ranging from exploitation of the workforce to sexual abuse.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter