Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia Ampere announced, 3090, 3080, 3070 coming later this year

TallSilhouette said:
Any evidence/guesses about when we'll get a 3080ti? I'm undecided about which high end card to get and really wanna know the final specs/price/date for it.

Unless AMD forces something, most likely it will be mid-late next year.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Zkuq said:
Will have to wait for more details, but it's seeming very likely that I'll get an RTX 3060 once it's announced and comes out. It ought to be a huge upgrade from my current GTX 770 I got back in 2014... That said, I'll probably wait until next summer and get a really fast SSD then, and there's probably a non-zero chance it would make sense to wait until roughly then before upgrading my graphics card as well. That said, I kind of doubt Nvidia is going to release anything more suitable by then, and it doesn't seem like AMD could possibly have a reasonable answer to Ampere so AMD might also be out for this round.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedGamingTech/status/1301884380747624449

I can't stand Red Gaming Tech. He has propagated so much false information in the past, not to mention he has an obvious confirmation bias for "Team Red".

Try to get information from independent sources like Digital Foundry or Anandtech.

eva01beserk said:

I dont know why people are doubting AMD so much. Specially since the leaks descrived Ampere's performance almost perfectly many months ago. The only thing that was wrong was the pricing of each card was $100 lower.

If the leaks hold true for AMD as well they will be head to head with the 3080.

AMD has been "talking up" it's GPU's for years and consistently always under delivered, I think that is where the pessimism is coming from... Can't really blame them.
Hopefully AMD knocks it out of the park though, competition is beneficial for us all.

shikamaru317 said:

Summary:

-Finalized specifications for the highest end chipset should be nailed down by 1st week of October

-AMD is aiming for lower power consumption than Nvidia's Ampere, says he previously heard that the highest end RDNA 2 chip may have a 250 watt TDP.

-Radeon 6700 is targeted at the 3070, but unfortunately won't be ready until early 2021. More power efficient than 3070.

-6800 and 6900 aiming for release by the end of October, but could slip to early November.

-His sources aren't 100% sure how these will compete performance wise against Ampere, largely because clock rates haven't been finalized yet.

-Expects the 6800 and 6700 to about match the 3080 and 3070 respectively while using less power, but thinks that 3090 will outperform the 6900, which is likely aimed at the eventual 3080 ti/Super, rather than the 3090

-Unsure about how well RDNA 2 will compete against Ampere on raytracing, but says he thinks that RDNA 2 will surpass Turing's raytracing performance but fall short of Ampere's ray tracing performance

-Also unsure on how well AMD's reported DLSS competitor will compete against DLSS

-Says he thinks that RDNA 2 will overall have the edge in both pricing and power efficiency, but thinks that Ampere will have the performance edge on certain GPU tiers, and at certain types of performance, especially raytracing.

-Says that if Ampere had been even 10% slower, that RDNA 2 would have the performance edge on every tier, that is how close he expects the gap between the two to be

-Says the plan is currently for AMD to undercut Nvidia on pricing across the board, but may increase pricing on tiers where they have the performance edge, to price match Nvidia at those tiers.

-Says that he expects the 6700 and 3070 to outperform the RDNA 2 GPU's in Series X and PS5 by a pretty large margin.

-Doesn't know if AMD has a competitor for RTX IO, but wouldn't be surprised if they do, since they helped Sony and MS with their decompression tech. 

Remember to get your grains of salts folks.

Basically the leak doesn't shift the goalpost at all for AMD, it's basically what we saw RDNA vs Turing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Random_Matt said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedGamingTech/status/1301884380747624449

I can't stand Red Gaming Tech. He has propagated so much false information in the past, not to mention he has an obvious confirmation bias for "Team Red".

Try to get information from independent sources like Digital Foundry or Anandtech.

eva01beserk said:

I dont know why people are doubting AMD so much. Specially since the leaks descrived Ampere's performance almost perfectly many months ago. The only thing that was wrong was the pricing of each card was $100 lower.

If the leaks hold true for AMD as well they will be head to head with the 3080.

AMD has been "talking up" it's GPU's for years and consistently always under delivered, I think that is where the pessimism is coming from... Can't really blame them.
Hopefully AMD knocks it out of the park though, competition is beneficial for us all.

shikamaru317 said:

Summary:

-Finalized specifications for the highest end chipset should be nailed down by 1st week of October

-AMD is aiming for lower power consumption than Nvidia's Ampere, says he previously heard that the highest end RDNA 2 chip may have a 250 watt TDP.

-Radeon 6700 is targeted at the 3070, but unfortunately won't be ready until early 2021. More power efficient than 3070.

-6800 and 6900 aiming for release by the end of October, but could slip to early November.

-His sources aren't 100% sure how these will compete performance wise against Ampere, largely because clock rates haven't been finalized yet.

-Expects the 6800 and 6700 to about match the 3080 and 3070 respectively while using less power, but thinks that 3090 will outperform the 6900, which is likely aimed at the eventual 3080 ti/Super, rather than the 3090

-Unsure about how well RDNA 2 will compete against Ampere on raytracing, but says he thinks that RDNA 2 will surpass Turing's raytracing performance but fall short of Ampere's ray tracing performance

-Also unsure on how well AMD's reported DLSS competitor will compete against DLSS

-Says he thinks that RDNA 2 will overall have the edge in both pricing and power efficiency, but thinks that Ampere will have the performance edge on certain GPU tiers, and at certain types of performance, especially raytracing.

-Says that if Ampere had been even 10% slower, that RDNA 2 would have the performance edge on every tier, that is how close he expects the gap between the two to be

-Says the plan is currently for AMD to undercut Nvidia on pricing across the board, but may increase pricing on tiers where they have the performance edge, to price match Nvidia at those tiers.

-Says that he expects the 6700 and 3070 to outperform the RDNA 2 GPU's in Series X and PS5 by a pretty large margin.

-Doesn't know if AMD has a competitor for RTX IO, but wouldn't be surprised if they do, since they helped Sony and MS with their decompression tech. 

Remember to get your grains of salts folks.

Basically the leak doesn't shift the goalpost at all for AMD, it's basically what we saw RDNA vs Turing.

Everyone always said they wont take the performance crown and probably not even challenge it. It does not need to be the best to compete. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Yeah, for me at least, all AMD needs to do is match the non ray tracing performance of Ampere for a slightly lower price tag on each performance tier. Ray tracing is nice, but I don't see it as essential. If they have better than Turing but still below Ampere ray tracing performance, while matching Ampere in non ray tracing performance, with a lower price tag and lower power consumption, that's plenty reason for me to go team Red on my next build.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also want to see similar performance on AMD's version of DLSS compared to Nvidia's version. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 04 September 2020

eva01beserk said:

Everyone always said they wont take the performance crown and probably not even challenge it. It does not need to be the best to compete. 

Correct it doesn't.
But it does need to be better.

It's all well and good to have the "value proposition". - Polaris showcase a substantial increase in market share for AMD in the GPU space because of that... But they have stagnated since.. And that can likely be attributed to a lack of a "Halo" product.
It's no secret that the bulk of profitable GPU sales are in the mainstream/mid-range segment, but you do need that Halo product to bring some brand recognition and lime-light to your lineup.

Ideally we would like nVidia and AMD to be 50/50 marketshare, not 25/75 split that we get currently, then the consumer gets the most benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an nVidia apologetic, I don't give a shit about the brand, I buy whatever provides the best price/performance at the segment I am aiming for, I just want them to do better than maintaining the status quo.
The massive amount of disruption AMD has caused in the CPU space and the benefits it has brought the consumer has been massive for example, I want that for the GPU space.

Around the Network

Price/performance is definitely the most important metric for me. And let's face it, Nvidia pricing has gotten a bit out of control here lately. It wasn't all that long ago when their "70" GPU's were $350 and their "60" GPU's were $200-250. Now they're charging $500 for the 70 models and $350 for the 60 models. AMD's pricing the last few GPU generations has been far more reasonable, especially on Polaris, the 480 was somewhere between a 970 and a 980 for a mere $240. I want to see AMD provide that kind of price/performance again in the mid-range, where I buy at.

If AMD can release an RDNA 2 mid-range card for $250-300 with better than 2070 Super performance, I'll most likely go Team Red on my next build, especially if AMD's version of DLSS performs well.

Pemalite said:
eva01beserk said:

Correct it doesn't.
But it does need to be better.

It's all well and good to have the "value proposition". - Polaris showcase a substantial increase in market share for AMD in the GPU space because of that... But they have stagnated since.. And that can likely be attributed to a lack of a "Halo" product.
It's no secret that the bulk of profitable GPU sales are in the mainstream/mid-range segment, but you do need that Halo product to bring some brand recognition and lime-light to your lineup.

Ideally we would like nVidia and AMD to be 50/50 marketshare, not 25/75 split that we get currently, then the consumer gets the most benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an nVidia apologetic, I don't give a shit about the brand, I buy whatever provides the best price/performance at the segment I am aiming for, I just want them to do better than maintaining the status quo.
The massive amount of disruption AMD has caused in the CPU space and the benefits it has brought the consumer has been massive for example, I want that for the GPU space.

I never said having a halo product dosent help, just that it's not the primary thing they should focus. 

Like I said to someone else here. I think most people on this market are like you. This is not the kind or market where you can be careles and just buy whatever and you guys keep up with tech. I don't think theres much blind loyalty. If amd offers something again that offers great value guys like you and others interested in whatever tier offers it and really consider it and do your do research. Regardles of history. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

I never said having a halo product dosent help, just that it's not the primary thing they should focus. 

I never said that you said that having a halo product doesn't help.

eva01beserk said:

Like I said to someone else here. I think most people on this market are like you. This is not the kind or market where you can be careles and just buy whatever and you guys keep up with tech. I don't think theres much blind loyalty. If amd offers something again that offers great value guys like you and others interested in whatever tier offers it and really consider it and do your do research. Regardles of history. 

I would like to think that is the case, it's undeniable that nVidia simply has the stronger brand with lots of sponsorship and advertising happening in the PC space and is simply innovating much harder, but also pushes harder with propriety technologies.

When AMD has released a compelling product they tend to have been rewarded with marketshare increases which the graph I provided prior demonstrates.
It's been about 15~ years since AMD has been nVidia's equal in terms of marketshare with some high-points being the Radeon 4870, 5870, Radeon x1950, Radeon X850, Radeon 9700 Pro.

And recently they clawed back some marketshare after their lowest points with Fiji. - Doesn't help that AMD was just rebadging product lines every year at that point either with a couple new cards sitting on top so they deserved the decline.

We also need to remember that AMD was fumbling during the stars and bulldozer era where they rolled their GPU development teams into the CPU departments... And only a few years ago decided to make them separate entities again, we are only now just starting to see the benefits of that disconnect.

eva01beserk said:
Norion said:
As a 1080ti owner the 3080 does tempt me but I'll probably wait till the 4000 series before upgrading and upgrade my CPU as well. After the lackluster 2000 series it feels nice to see a real leap again for prices better than last time.

Now that you mention that cpu upgrade. It makes me doubt the 3070 even more. Since it has les memory bandwidth and les memory total than the 2080ti. if your not upgrading from a pc that already has pci4 support, people are not get more performance than a 2080ti. It might be better for them to jumt to it since it will probably cost as much a 3070. Or you can have a lot of system ram to compensate, but im thinking that for thouse aiming at it, they probbly dont have it.

Granted if you have the means go for anything, but thouse starting with an old build you guys are probably better  off with a 2080ti, or your gona be spending more than just $500 for a 3070 alone. 

If someone gets a 2080ti for a similar price as a 3070 won't it be used? I think that would make a brand new 3070 the better thing to get.

Norion said:
eva01beserk said:

Now that you mention that cpu upgrade. It makes me doubt the 3070 even more. Since it has les memory bandwidth and les memory total than the 2080ti. if your not upgrading from a pc that already has pci4 support, people are not get more performance than a 2080ti. It might be better for them to jumt to it since it will probably cost as much a 3070. Or you can have a lot of system ram to compensate, but im thinking that for thouse aiming at it, they probbly dont have it.

Granted if you have the means go for anything, but thouse starting with an old build you guys are probably better  off with a 2080ti, or your gona be spending more than just $500 for a 3070 alone. 

If someone gets a 2080ti for a similar price as a 3070 won't it be used? I think that would make a brand new 3070 the better thing to get.

I for one would never buy anything used. But it's not for me. The second hand marked is pretty big specially after the new cards come out. Its why they are not releasing the weaker 3060 or 3050,  cuz the old 2080 and 2070 would be selling at that lower price and probable performance. plus like I mentioned. If your rig is not ready with pcie4 or like 32gb of ram, then a 2080ti would probably perform better than a 3070.