By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Made My First Rap - #4 ready as well, album upcoming

EDIT 17 Feb 2021: 

Released track #4. Feel free to check out the last post in this thread for some more background information and future plans which include the release of 2 albums and studio time. 

EDIT 13 dec 2020:

The rap album that I envision to make is halfway done with the most recent song recently published on Spotify, Apple Music and others

With a PS5 in my life for 3 weeks now I obviously have something else for distraction while still mostly remaining indoors. However I have been able to perform track 4, 5 (still needs quite some mixing and mastering) and writing number 6 now. Track 7 is some kind of mini podcast rap (for now in my head and didn't really figure out yet how to do that one.

ORIGINAL POST with updated visuals of track 1:

Hey guys,

I haven't been posting a lot on here but have been part of the community for at least 10 years I believe since the prime of the X360 vs PS3 wars. Not that long ago I wrote some lyrics and then some more and felt just posting it online as a rap song. I had a lot of fun writing and creating that I thought of more songs. Around 7 others I have in mind with a second one halfway through. Hopefully this is a right place and am allowed in this forum to post this.

Main inspiration I guess came from immortal technique. One thing I am trying to do is to not use any swear words or cussing. In here I did use the word shit though so please forgive :p
I did realize how hard it is to not be unneceraily vulgar with main stream content but also that which inspired me to contain so much swearing. I believe there is another way so will try to bring some songs out. Production quality is probably not superb but was able to license a track. For recording and mixing I just used a Blue Yeti X which I got second hand and Audacity since I don't have the budget for any more advanced software like Adobe Audition which requires a subscription.

Unrelated to the above:
Games I'm playing right now. GTA Online (playing with family), Ghosts of Tsushima, Don't Starve Together, Three Kingdoms Total War
Games I recently finished: The Last of Us II
Looking forward to get Captain Tsubasa soon

Last edited by elazz - on 17 February 2021

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Around the Network

A few weeks later I gladly was able to make a second rap song. Doing some recording sessions for a third one which is a bit more hopeful / upbeat but till then feel free to enjoy:

Last edited by elazz - on 17 February 2021

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Good work.

How long have you been rapping?

VAMatt said:
Good work.

How long have you been rapping?

At high school I once wrote a rap (Dutch) for this girl 12 years ago but that didn't turn out as I hoped back then :p

Always listened to various 90s rap and sometimes would just rap along. I finished writing a book early August which kept me busy while in Belgium we had a small lockdown and then some strict rules that applied in July/August e.g. curfew. There weren't any games as well that kept my attention (finished The Last of Us 2 and will continue Ghosts of Tsushima on PS5).

Early August I wrote some lyrics, expanded them and quickly wanted to record which I was able to do from home.

So technically with the alias "mCelazz I" it has been 5 weeks or so.

Currently there are 2 more songs in development I hope to get out in the next 2 / 3 weeks and have an album ready by Fall.

So, regardless of the stage name you used, are these the second and third raps that you've written and performed?

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

So, regardless of the stage name you used, are these the second and third raps that you've written and performed?

Yeah, technically that would be correct. Number two and three indeed. Or the first two in English.

I started playing Ghosts of Tsushima before thinking of making some rap songs. Recently I published my third one with number 4 on its way yet I still haven't finished the game :o (At act III now)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyT9PbK5_T0&feature=emb_title

Wow, these are pretty good, especially if they're only your first songs!

Volgend jaar in De Nieuwe Lichting?

elazz said:

A few weeks later I gladly was able to make a second rap song. Doing some recording sessions for a third one which is a bit more hopeful / upbeat but till then feel free to enjoy:

I just remembered this thread... and I bump it because these songs are worth a few more listenings, keep it up!

(This is the one I like the most of the three.)

I'm mostly a lurker now.

These are pretty good, especially given that these are your first songs. I have a few tips if you're interested from one bedroom musician to another.

First of all, I heavily suggest downloading Reaper. It is only $60, but they don't restrict the trial version so if you absolutely can't scrape it, you still get the fully functional program. The built in basic effects like EQ and Compression are pretty dang good and it is a lot more fully formed and user friendly of a program than Audacity. You can also get a ton of extra plug-ins for free across the internet if you need something that they don't have built in.

As for the actual production, it sounds like to me, your vocals are taking up a lot of space, especially in the low end. Low end is really important in hip hop to hold down the beat, so when your vocal eats up a lot of that space, it weakens the beat. You can fix this by first of all messing with the levels and maybe turning down the vocals a little, but also using some EQ to give your vocals more of a tight pocket to sit in instead of eating all of those frequencies. I'd also experiment with a de-esser and maybe some multiband compression to try to specifically target the harshness on your "ssss" sounds.

Last edited by sundin13 - on 13 February 2021