By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - 2022 NBA Offseason - Rest in Peace Bill Russell

sixers finally got their man. happy for hinkie. despite all the chaos that happened with/since his departure he sitll left them in a good enough spot to get an mvp next to this years mvp.

Around the Network

Suns are kicking ass. Wonder if it's their year.

Chris Hu said:
Angelus said:

Can't help but be sad for Chris Paul. Highly unlikely he'll get another crack at that elusive title. Still though, heck of a playoff run he had at 36. Hopefully he's able to reflect upon it in a positive light once all the dust settles.

That said, while I am sad for CP3, it's also hard not to be happy for the Bucks. They really came together, and played by far their best basketball in the Finals, when it mattered. Giannis came back within a week from what looked like it was going to be a devastating injury, and pretty much lit the world on fire. Even down 0-2, total never say die attitude. You gotta respect, and applaud it.

Yeah unless he ops out of the final year of his contract and signs with another contender (Lakers) this was pretty much his last great chance of winning a title as a starter.  He could still eventually win a title riding the bench on championship team like Gary Payton did with the '06 Heat.

Chris Hu said:

Since the Lakers got Russ they will at least go to the WCF next season. Golden State still has more pieces to eventually have a much better roster then the Lakers. Looks like Ben Simmons is staying with the 76ers since they want the moon for him from other teams. I think Pascal Siakam is available that is who the Warriors should go after.

LOL. You never disappoint.

Machiavellian said:
burninmylight said:

They had Caruso's bird rights. and he wanted to stay there. There was no "he was pretty much going to leave anyway." If they wanted to keep him, he'd still be in LA. They let him walk. The money doesn't matter because they were going to be in the luxury tax no matter what.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-2021-alex-caruso-bulls-agree-to-four-year-37-million-deal-per-report/

OK fine, dismiss stats when they aren't convenient for you. Wins are what matter, yes. Guess what? Caruso and KCP were there when LAL won it all in 2020. You know that, because as you said, Caruso already has a ring. Why you think he wouldn't want more, like most athletes, is beyond me, but whatevs. Fact is, they are battle-tested winners. What has Westbrook, Ellington, Bazemore and Monk ever won?

Like you said, the Lakers two main guys, the ones that the entire team is built around, were hampered or unavailable in the playoffs. Are you seriously telling me that it's the rest of the team's fault that they couldn't get past the #1 seed and eventual WC champions without James and Davis? And do you honestly think that the Lakers roster as currently constructed, albeit likely unfinished, would have been good enough to get it done in that same situation?

Also, if a team cannot score points, then everyone should care about DPM... because if you can't manufacture enough offense, then maybe, just maybe your defense can carry you... all the way to a ring, kind of like what happened with your 2021 NBA CHAMPION MILWAUKEE BUCKS. Or your 2020 NBA CHAMPION LOS ANGELES LAKERS (Opp PTS/G: 107.6 (4th of 30). Forgive me if that hurt your eyes.

Forgive me as well for questioning your sincerity about your thoughts on scheme vs. individual defense. You are welcome to elaborate a bit more on this one and straighten me out. There's definitely a case to be made for one over the other, but I'll allow you to make it in support of your claim.

As for Kyle Korver, you knew I was being facetious, lol. He retired because he can't stay in front of anyone on defense or do anything in basketball that contributes to winning other than hitting an occasional wide-open three. That means he's washed. Like Carmelo.

Why keep Caruso's when you basically just replaced him for less money and did not have to go into a bidding war.

I am not dismissing the stats, I am saying that if you only look at the stat sheet but not the win losses you only tell part of the story.  The key point is that the Lakers without LB and AD would never have made it to the playoffs so they decided to go after another person who can score when both or one are down.  Will this work, who the hell knows but until we see how they work together its all just a bunch of opinions.  The thing is, the team was able to get Russ and also pretty much keep players who shoot above 38% from the 3 which is pretty standard for any team in the NBA at this point in time.  With no cap room, they still have the ability to spread the floor with the current talent of LB and Russ who need floor spacers.

Yes, its great to have individual defensive players but its the defensive scheme and how players communicate and work together that really matters.  Its the coach scheme to understand what the offense is trying to do and either take away their main option or have less capable people handle and shoot the ball.  Really how many iso defensive systems do you see in the NBA.   

Lets not just look at the Playoffs, do not forget before AD and LB got hurt during the regular season they limped into the playoffs.  If it was not for their start before the All Star break, they would have been sitting at home.  

Yeah, I knew you were being facetious with Korver but to be honest when you brought up his name, I was like "Hey, what the hell is Korver doing and then I was thinking didn't he retire".  Lol, I thought that was an interesting article.

Personally,  I really do not care if LA ever gets another championship, my team is Miami which by all intent have made great moves and I see them in the championship dance.  My basic opinion on the Lakers is that they can make it work with Russ.  I believe they have the right tools and this will allow LB mins to decrease which is something I believe he wants.  Does that mean they will be a championship team, I do not care, but I believe they should be interesting to watch with all these old heads running up and down the court for 80+ games.

Welp, you certainly have some explaining to do. Want to try to talk yourself out of it, or would you like to skip straight to the plate of crow?

burninmylight said:
Chris Hu said:

Yeah unless he ops out of the final year of his contract and signs with another contender (Lakers) this was pretty much his last great chance of winning a title as a starter.  He could still eventually win a title riding the bench on championship team like Gary Payton did with the '06 Heat.

Chris Hu said:

Since the Lakers got Russ they will at least go to the WCF next season. Golden State still has more pieces to eventually have a much better roster then the Lakers. Looks like Ben Simmons is staying with the 76ers since they want the moon for him from other teams. I think Pascal Siakam is available that is who the Warriors should go after.

I'm pretty sure nobody saw Russel Westbrook being this bad.  Anthony Davis being out for most of the regular season again isn't helping either.  The Lakers still have to suck really hard the rest of the regular season not to at least make the play in tournament since they expanded it by one team.

Around the Network

Congratulations, to Gregg Popovich for passing Don Nelson in all time regular season wins. Him doing it with just one team without the aid of any big-time free agents throughout his term makes it even more expressive. Plus, Nelson won all those games without winning a title Popovich got five.

Chris Hu said:
burninmylight said:

Chris Hu said:

I'm pretty sure nobody saw Russel Westbrook being this bad.  Anthony Davis being out for most of the regular season again isn't helping either.  The Lakers still have to suck really hard the rest of the regular season not to at least make the play in tournament since they expanded it by one team.

Imagine my surprise when I login and see that you responded, lol. Props for going against your nature and actually owning your piss poor hot takes this time instead of hiding for a year like you normally do.

I'm pretty sure the only people that saw Westbrook's fit with the Lakers being this bad are people that don't understand how team construction works and think that the only thing that matters is a big shiny name across the back of the jersey. Those people also tend to think that Westbrook is the only reason the Lakers suck so hard when he's just one of like a dozen. You can go back one page in this thread and view the debates from August. Someone with slightly more reasonable takes gave his reasoning for why the Lakers would likely be worse this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVxUtfvEkWU

LeBron should fire himself as GM.

Also, I'm looking forward to getting your reasoning as to why Giannis has no way of winning MVP again. Are you going to tell me it's because he's in the Eastern Conference again? Lol!

Last edited by burninmylight - on 07 April 2022

Welp, here we go again!

What an ending to the Nets-Celtics game!

burninmylight said:
Machiavellian said:

Why keep Caruso's when you basically just replaced him for less money and did not have to go into a bidding war.

I am not dismissing the stats, I am saying that if you only look at the stat sheet but not the win losses you only tell part of the story.  The key point is that the Lakers without LB and AD would never have made it to the playoffs so they decided to go after another person who can score when both or one are down.  Will this work, who the hell knows but until we see how they work together its all just a bunch of opinions.  The thing is, the team was able to get Russ and also pretty much keep players who shoot above 38% from the 3 which is pretty standard for any team in the NBA at this point in time.  With no cap room, they still have the ability to spread the floor with the current talent of LB and Russ who need floor spacers.

Yes, its great to have individual defensive players but its the defensive scheme and how players communicate and work together that really matters.  Its the coach scheme to understand what the offense is trying to do and either take away their main option or have less capable people handle and shoot the ball.  Really how many iso defensive systems do you see in the NBA.   

Lets not just look at the Playoffs, do not forget before AD and LB got hurt during the regular season they limped into the playoffs.  If it was not for their start before the All Star break, they would have been sitting at home.  

Yeah, I knew you were being facetious with Korver but to be honest when you brought up his name, I was like "Hey, what the hell is Korver doing and then I was thinking didn't he retire".  Lol, I thought that was an interesting article.

Personally,  I really do not care if LA ever gets another championship, my team is Miami which by all intent have made great moves and I see them in the championship dance.  My basic opinion on the Lakers is that they can make it work with Russ.  I believe they have the right tools and this will allow LB mins to decrease which is something I believe he wants.  Does that mean they will be a championship team, I do not care, but I believe they should be interesting to watch with all these old heads running up and down the court for 80+ games.

Welp, you certainly have some explaining to do. Want to try to talk yourself out of it, or would you like to skip straight to the plate of crow?