By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - 2022 NBA Offseason - Rest in Peace Bill Russell

Damn, was hoping for more out of Bucks-Nets

Around the Network

Same thing. I was shocked when I saw the score. Nets shaping up to be the winners in the East and I don't think the West has anyone left to handle them. 

...Jesus Christ

burninmylight said:
Chris Hu said:

The Jazz have a decent chance of winning against the Clippers, but the Bucks can't beat the Nets even if Harden misses the rest of the series KD is way better then Giannis and Kyrie is better then all their backcourt players. Donte DiVincenzo being out for the remainder of the playoffs isn't helping the Bucks either.

Wow... as reductionist and half-hearted as ever. I thought the NBA was a 5-on-5 game with 12-man active rosters, not real life NBA Jam.

For instance, did you know that Blake Griffin went 4-9 from deep and scored 18 total, with Mike James going 5-11 from the field for 12 total? Is that a normal performance from them? Do you think that is likely to happen again and again? Which is more likely to happen, that kind of performance from the Nets bench, or Holiday and Middleton (the guy you don't know exists because he's never been on the cover of 2K, even though he's a two-time All-Star and had a 50/39/90 season last year) don't go 13-42 from the field again after shaking off the rust from having a week off?

Yes, Durant and Irving got theirs on strong performances, and it's even possible that they could kick up into a higher gear. But also of note: Durant played 40 minutes in Game 1, while Irving played 45. Giannis played 35, Middleton played 36 and Holiday 37. Making adjustments and playing his stars more minutes has always been Bud's problem, but what happens if he actually adjusts?

And had you watched the game, you would have seen that Giannis and Brook Lopez (that other former All-Star you forgot exists after he left the Lakers, even though he's made an all-defensive team, became the first player ever to record 100+ threes and 100+ blocks in a season, and has led the league in blocks and opponent's FG% at the rim*) got whatever they wanted at the rim for most of the game, yet somehow only shot six FTs between them. What do you think is more likely to happen, Blake finds a way to stop Giannis for the first time all season, or Blake goes 4-9 from deep again?

I'm not saying the Bucks will definitely win the series, because they are absolutely the underdogs. But there is a reason why many consider this the real NBA Finals matchup. The Bucks have as much chance at beating the Nets as Giannis has at beating James Harden for league MVP from two years ago - wait, are we still supposed to pretend like that didn't happen?

*There are these things called advanced stats. People who like to follow the game in 2021 value them more than lazy numbers like raw PPG because it's 2021, not 1991.

That reply was a big nothing burger bottom line is the Nets are up 2-0 and will win the series in six or less even if James Harden doesn't come back and plays any of the remaining games in the series.  Everyone got a false sense of confidence about the Bucks chances of winning the series because they won two close meaningless games against the Nets towards the end of the regular season.

Chris Hu said:
burninmylight said:

Wow... as reductionist and half-hearted as ever. I thought the NBA was a 5-on-5 game with 12-man active rosters, not real life NBA Jam.

For instance, did you know that Blake Griffin went 4-9 from deep and scored 18 total, with Mike James going 5-11 from the field for 12 total? Is that a normal performance from them? Do you think that is likely to happen again and again? Which is more likely to happen, that kind of performance from the Nets bench, or Holiday and Middleton (the guy you don't know exists because he's never been on the cover of 2K, even though he's a two-time All-Star and had a 50/39/90 season last year) don't go 13-42 from the field again after shaking off the rust from having a week off?

Yes, Durant and Irving got theirs on strong performances, and it's even possible that they could kick up into a higher gear. But also of note: Durant played 40 minutes in Game 1, while Irving played 45. Giannis played 35, Middleton played 36 and Holiday 37. Making adjustments and playing his stars more minutes has always been Bud's problem, but what happens if he actually adjusts?

And had you watched the game, you would have seen that Giannis and Brook Lopez (that other former All-Star you forgot exists after he left the Lakers, even though he's made an all-defensive team, became the first player ever to record 100+ threes and 100+ blocks in a season, and has led the league in blocks and opponent's FG% at the rim*) got whatever they wanted at the rim for most of the game, yet somehow only shot six FTs between them. What do you think is more likely to happen, Blake finds a way to stop Giannis for the first time all season, or Blake goes 4-9 from deep again?

I'm not saying the Bucks will definitely win the series, because they are absolutely the underdogs. But there is a reason why many consider this the real NBA Finals matchup. The Bucks have as much chance at beating the Nets as Giannis has at beating James Harden for league MVP from two years ago - wait, are we still supposed to pretend like that didn't happen?

*There are these things called advanced stats. People who like to follow the game in 2021 value them more than lazy numbers like raw PPG because it's 2021, not 1991.

That reply was a big nothing burger bottom line is the Nets are up 2-0 and will win the series in six or less even if James Harden doesn't come back and plays any of the remaining games in the series.  Everyone got a false sense of confidence about the Bucks chances of winning the series because they won two close meaningless games against the Nets towards the end of the regular season.

Waits until well after the game is in hand to reply, then calls my post a nothing-burger, great job!

And no, those games weren't meaningless, because the Bucks and Nets were both vying for seeding at the time and trying to acquire the first seed, the hold of which wouldn't have to go through the second and third seeds to get to the finals.

If they were so meaningless, why did Durant play 40 minutes in each game, and why did Irving play 37 and 39? In fact, the only starter that played less than 33 minutes in those games was ceremonial starter DeAndre Jordan.

Why do you never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever answer a single question presented to you, ever? Is it because you don't have answers when someone able to cite facts, sources and reasonable arguments calls you out on your claims, and you're left not knowing how to respond?

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Chris Hu said:

Waits until well after the game is in hand to reply, then calls my post a nothing-burger, great job!

And no, those games weren't meaningless, because the Bucks and Nets were both vying for seeding at the time and trying to acquire the first seed, the hold of which wouldn't have to go through the second and third seeds to get to the finals.

If they were so meaningless, why did Durant play 40 minutes in each game, and why did Irving play 37 and 39? In fact, the only starter that played less than 33 minutes in those games was ceremonial starter DeAndre Jordan.

Why do you never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever answer a single question presented to you, ever? Is it because you don't have answers when someone able to cite facts, sources and reasonable arguments calls you out on your claims, and you're left not knowing how to respond?

Again the Nets are up 2-0 and will have no problem winning this series so yeah your reply is a big nothing burger and like most people that picked the Bucks to win the series you got false hope by them winning two meaningless games towards the end of the season by razor thin margins.

KLAMarine said:

Damn, was hoping for more out of Bucks-Nets

pmaster4 said:

Same thing. I was shocked when I saw the score. Nets shaping up to be the winners in the East and I don't think the West has anyone left to handle them. 

PAOerfulone said:

...Jesus Christ

I couldn't actually watch the game, I had to follow it on radio thanks to the stupid League Pass rules. But as poorly as every Buck played tonight, and as un-freaking-stoppable as Durant was/is, I put the blame primarily on Giannis and Middleton. The former got whatever he wanted in the paint in Game 1 and proved that Brooklyn has nothing to stop him, other than to send him to the line. Which is not a bad alternative at all, as he continues to prove. Yet, Giannis falls back into his old habits of settling for jumpers and pull-up threes early into the shot clock, the latter of which might as well be a turnover in my book.

If this is the only time you saw Middleton (I bet for most of you it is), then you'd think he's Trash instead of Khash. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for five straight quarters so far in the series, finally hits three 3s in a row and four or five FG in a row before half, when the Nets are up 20+, then that's it. There's a divide in Bucks fandom on whether he's a good enough #2 on a championship team; right now, the answer is firmly  no, especially when the #1 isn't playing like a #1.

Chris Hu said:
burninmylight said:

Again the Nets are up 2-0 and will have no problem winning this series so yeah your reply is a big nothing burger and like most people that picked the Bucks to win the series you got false hope by them winning two meaningless games towards the end of the season by razor thin margins.

When did I say that I picked the Bucks to win? Go back and read my entire reply instead of cherry-picking it please.

See how I acknowledged your query, and responded to it accordingly?

Again, why do you never ever ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever answer a single question presented to you, ever? Can you show me the same courtesy at some point and muster an attempt to address these challenges every once in a while, rather than repeating yourself with the benefit of hindsight?

Chris Hu said:
pmaster4 said:

I think the Mavs might need to trade KP. He played better today but I think they can get better.

Since they just recently signed him to a max deal he is pretty much impossible to trade nobody wants to be tied up for that much cap space for the next three years.  There probably is a slight chance that they could trade him in his final year of his current deal but I doubt they will get anything better in return in that deal.

Russell Westbrook was traded after signing a max deal with more than three years left. For Chris Paul, another max player with three years left on his contract.

Then Westbrook was traded for John Wall a year later, another max player who had three years left on his contact counting this current fiscal year.

Westbrook's former team, the Thunder, had signed his then-teammate Paul George to a four year max in 2018, then traded him a year later. So he also had three years left (though he opted out after the second year to sign another four-year max extension with LAC).

It is entirely possible to trade KP.

That Ayton/Jokic matchup is going to be the biggest factor of this series. Obviously, Jokic is the better player, but if Ayton can make him earn it and hold his own, that works extremely well in the Suns' favor.