By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - 2022 NBA Offseason - Rest in Peace Bill Russell

This is the power of the LB chasing rings, man that squad is going to be pretty old but damn it should be interesting to watch.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

This is the power of the LB chasing rings, man that squad is going to be pretty old but damn it should be interesting to watch.

BUT THEY ADDED A FORMER ALL-STAR WHO USED TO AVERAGE 20+ PPG DESPITE BEING WASHED FOR LIKE THREE OR FOUR YEARS NOW BUT ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT HE WAS ON THE COVER OF NBA LIVE 2K5 AND I BOUGHT HIS SHOE SO CHAMPIONSHIT CONFIRMED!!!!

burninmylight said:
Machiavellian said:

BUT THEY ADDED A FORMER ALL-STAR WHO USED TO AVERAGE 20+ PPG DESPITE BEING WASHED FOR LIKE THREE OR FOUR YEARS NOW BUT ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT HE WAS ON THE COVER OF NBA LIVE 2K5 AND I BOUGHT HIS SHOE SO CHAMPIONSHIT CONFIRMED!!!!

No pure shooter is never washed up. In Portland Melo played the spot up shooter hitting 3s and open jumpers which is pretty much what he will do in LA.  Bazemore and Malik Monk also join the squad.  After looking at the moves LA has made it appears they are fixing their problem with the 3 ball and spot up jumpers which work well with LB and Russ combo.  Like I said, this squad is old as far as Bball goes but they should be very interesting to watch as its a veteran squad.

Also whats up with the caps, you are hurting my eyes.

Machiavellian said:
burninmylight said:

Machiavellian said:

Westbrook can score and he is someone who can command the ball while LB is not on the floor.  One thing the Lakers were definitely missing is that when LB is not on the floor the office just dies.  A rotation of LB, Westbrook and AD with at least 2 of them on the floor at all times give them nice firepower.  Russ ability to dish, gain rebounds and penetrate goes hand in hand with LB and AD abilities.  If they get JJ Redick then they have at least one more knock down shooter on the wing.  I believe you are actually going to see LB with the ball less and Russ with the ball more utilizing his strength better.  It will also allow LB to cut his mins a lot.

Well what about when LBJ is on the floor? If Westbrook is your primary ball handler, what is LBJ's role? And I don't quite see how LBJ and Davis' abilities go hand-in-hand with those of Russ. Davis wants to work from the post in a half-court offense. LeBron wants to probe for shot or drive opportunities with the ball in his hands. Westbrook's games is predicated on playing fast. All three like the ball in their hands.

Also, as a Thunder fan who watched a lot of cringy basketball in the post-Durant years, I do not miss Russ's "rebounding." His high rebounding numbers come from coaches, owners and teammates trying to placate him and boost his counting stats and triple double records by mandating big men box out defenders to let him fly in and get uncontested boards. As opposed to just getting boards themselves and hitting him on an outlet pass. Or leaving his man unguarded around the perimeter so he can be close to the goal for more potential rebounds. That Chris Paul year a couple of years ago was a breath of fresh air.

Looking forward to seeing if LBJ and Davis are going to get in on the act to help Russ pad those stats, lol.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that LAL now has at least one long-range ace in Wayne Ellington. Thus far, the Lakers are treating free agency like a reunion, bringing back Ellington, Trevor Ariza and Dwight Howard all on vet minimums.

People actually thought Chris Paul was going to sign with the Lakers for the league minimum or MLE?

When LB is on the floor let Russ handle the ball.  This is not unknown territory for LB.  When in Cleveland, Kyrie had way more possessions then LB and he handled the ball more when both were on the court.  LB and AD already talking about moving to 4 and 5 spot so they already looking to make Russ the PG and let him play to his strength.  LB is actually do not want to be the one bringing the ball down the court, he want to setup in his spot.  Russ is a very good guard who can penetrate and dish the ball, this will play right into AD and LB strengths.

As for Russ high rebounding I am going to leave that as opinion.  I have watched enough games to see that Russ goes for rebounds and follows his shot.  He is always aggressive which is a + and minus because he does not know how to pace himself.  At the end of the day he is still hungry so we will see what he brings to LA.

I am not saying that Russ is the greatest thing that has come to LA, I am saying that they can make it work and to do that actually plays to his strength.

There must have been some really crazy people to think CP3 is going anywhere for league minimum.

I'm not saying that there is no way that Russ can't work in LA, just that I can't see it. He has either turned off or stopped trying to work with every single other star he has ever played with. Every team that gets him has to completely change its ethos in order to make him comfortable, even when he walks into a situation where it's already somebody else's team. At 33, I don't see him doing a complete makeover of his identity, especially when he's still making AS teams, averaging triple doubles and willing teams to lower playoff seeds.

He reminds me so much of Iverson, who also ran off or turned off every single star he played with, the majority of which started producing much better/more efficiently once they didn't have to share the ball with him. Iverson, who refused to conform his game all the way up until the very twilight of his career. Iverson, who outside of one run to the Finals, could never will his team past the semifinal round of the playoffs.

Machiavellian said:
burninmylight said:

No pure shooter is never washed up. In Portland Melo played the spot up shooter hitting 3s and open jumpers which is pretty much what he will do in LA.  Bazemore and Malik Monk also join the squad.  After looking at the moves LA has made it appears they are fixing their problem with the 3 ball and spot up jumpers which work well with LB and Russ combo.  Like I said, this squad is old as far as Bball goes but they should be very interesting to watch as its a veteran squad.

And they let Alex Caruso walk, and replaced him with more bad defenders sans Bazemore. Between trading away KCP, Kuzma and Harrell, and letting Caruso and Schroeder go, and replacing them with Westbrook, Anthony, Bazemore and Monk, how exactly did they fix their 3-ball problem?

KCP: .410 3P% on 5.5 3PA per 36 minutes

Caruso: .401 3P% on 3.1 3PA per 36

Harrell: lol

---------------------------------------------

Westbrook: .315 3P% on 4.1 3PA per 36

Anthony: .409 3P% on 6.9 3PA per 36

Bazemore: .408 3P% on 5.0 3PA per 36

Monk: .401 3P% on 8.7 3PA per 36

If you take out Harrell (a PF who can't shoot, so didn't shoot from deep) and Westbrook (a PG who can't shoot, but won't stop shooting from deep), LA has only added one extra shooter thus far, considering who its lost and added.

Let's look at Defensive Box Plus/Minus to get an idea of how these guys contributed on the other end of the floor. Leaving Harrell out of this one because he's the only non-guard/wing, thus he's guarding different players in a different role:

Caruso: 2.3

Bazemore: 1.3

Westbrook: .8

KCP:.6

Carmelo: -1.6

Monk: -2.3

So the Lakers added some extra perimeter shooting after replacing what they lost, and appear to have gotten worse on perimeter defense. It'll be an interesting year indeed.

And if no pure shooter is ever washed up, why isn't Kyle Korver on somebody's squad?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all of the stats I listed come from basketball-reference.com.

Last edited by burninmylight - on 03 August 2021

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Machiavellian said:

And they let Alex Caruso walk, and replaced him with more bad defenders sans Bazemore. Between trading away KCP, Kuzma and Harrell, and letting Caruso and Schroeder go, and replacing them with Westbrook, Anthony, Bazemore and Monk, how exactly did they fix their 3-ball problem?

If you take out Harrell (a PF who can't shoot, so didn't shoot from deep) and Westbrook (a PG who can't shoot, but won't stop shooting from deep), LA has only added one extra shooter thus far, considering who its lost and added.

Let's look at Defensive Box Plus/Minus to get an idea of how these guys contributed on the other end of the floor. Leaving Harrell out of this one because he's the only non-guard/wing, thus he's guarding different players in a different role:

So the Lakers added some extra perimeter shooting after replacing what they lost, and appear to have gotten worse on perimeter defense. It'll be an interesting year indeed.

And if no pure shooter is ever washed up, why isn't Kyle Korver on somebody's squad?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all of the stats I listed come from basketball-reference.com.

They did not let Alex walk, he was pretty much going to leave anyway because the money was on the table and he would be stupid not to take it.  He already have a ring, no need to chase another.  The clear point is that during the playoffs none of the people that left actually allowed the Lakers to win since they could not get pass Phoenix. 

Those stats look nice on the macro but wins are what matter and when AD and LB were hurt, the wins were not coming.  The team struggled mightily during those stretches and their shooting was terrible.  Who cares about their + - on Defense if the team cannot score points.  Its evident that the current roster was not doing the job so shake it up.

As for defense, I believe its more to do with the defensive scheme then the individual players.  We will see if scoring more is better than losing some defensive pressure. 

As for Kyle Korver, here is your answer.  Looks like its him that does not want to go back probably because well, its time to retire.  https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/02/05/kyle-korver-will-you-return-to-the-nba-this-season-i-dont-know/

Machiavellian said:
burninmylight said:

They did not let Alex walk, he was pretty much going to leave anyway because the money was on the table and he would be stupid not to take it.  He already have a ring, no need to chase another.  The clear point is that during the playoffs none of the people that left actually allowed the Lakers to win since they could not get pass Phoenix. 

Those stats look nice on the macro but wins are what matter and when AD and LB were hurt, the wins were not coming.  The team struggled mightily during those stretches and their shooting was terrible.  Who cares about their + - on Defense if the team cannot score points.  Its evident that the current roster was not doing the job so shake it up.

As for defense, I believe its more to do with the defensive scheme then the individual players.  We will see if scoring more is better than losing some defensive pressure. 

As for Kyle Korver, here is your answer.  Looks like its him that does not want to go back probably because well, its time to retire.  https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/02/05/kyle-korver-will-you-return-to-the-nba-this-season-i-dont-know/

They had Caruso's bird rights. and he wanted to stay there. There was no "he was pretty much going to leave anyway." If they wanted to keep him, he'd still be in LA. They let him walk. The money doesn't matter because they were going to be in the luxury tax no matter what.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-2021-alex-caruso-bulls-agree-to-four-year-37-million-deal-per-report/

OK fine, dismiss stats when they aren't convenient for you. Wins are what matter, yes. Guess what? Caruso and KCP were there when LAL won it all in 2020. You know that, because as you said, Caruso already has a ring. Why you think he wouldn't want more, like most athletes, is beyond me, but whatevs. Fact is, they are battle-tested winners. What has Westbrook, Ellington, Bazemore and Monk ever won?

Like you said, the Lakers two main guys, the ones that the entire team is built around, were hampered or unavailable in the playoffs. Are you seriously telling me that it's the rest of the team's fault that they couldn't get past the #1 seed and eventual WC champions without James and Davis? And do you honestly think that the Lakers roster as currently constructed, albeit likely unfinished, would have been good enough to get it done in that same situation?

Also, if a team cannot score points, then everyone should care about DPM... because if you can't manufacture enough offense, then maybe, just maybe your defense can carry you... all the way to a ring, kind of like what happened with your 2021 NBA CHAMPION MILWAUKEE BUCKS. Or your 2020 NBA CHAMPION LOS ANGELES LAKERS (Opp PTS/G: 107.6 (4th of 30). Forgive me if that hurt your eyes.

Forgive me as well for questioning your sincerity about your thoughts on scheme vs. individual defense. You are welcome to elaborate a bit more on this one and straighten me out. There's definitely a case to be made for one over the other, but I'll allow you to make it in support of your claim.

As for Kyle Korver, you knew I was being facetious, lol. He retired because he can't stay in front of anyone on defense or do anything in basketball that contributes to winning other than hitting an occasional wide-open three. That means he's washed. Like Carmelo.

burninmylight said:
Machiavellian said:

They had Caruso's bird rights. and he wanted to stay there. There was no "he was pretty much going to leave anyway." If they wanted to keep him, he'd still be in LA. They let him walk. The money doesn't matter because they were going to be in the luxury tax no matter what.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-2021-alex-caruso-bulls-agree-to-four-year-37-million-deal-per-report/

OK fine, dismiss stats when they aren't convenient for you. Wins are what matter, yes. Guess what? Caruso and KCP were there when LAL won it all in 2020. You know that, because as you said, Caruso already has a ring. Why you think he wouldn't want more, like most athletes, is beyond me, but whatevs. Fact is, they are battle-tested winners. What has Westbrook, Ellington, Bazemore and Monk ever won?

Like you said, the Lakers two main guys, the ones that the entire team is built around, were hampered or unavailable in the playoffs. Are you seriously telling me that it's the rest of the team's fault that they couldn't get past the #1 seed and eventual WC champions without James and Davis? And do you honestly think that the Lakers roster as currently constructed, albeit likely unfinished, would have been good enough to get it done in that same situation?

Also, if a team cannot score points, then everyone should care about DPM... because if you can't manufacture enough offense, then maybe, just maybe your defense can carry you... all the way to a ring, kind of like what happened with your 2021 NBA CHAMPION MILWAUKEE BUCKS. Or your 2020 NBA CHAMPION LOS ANGELES LAKERS (Opp PTS/G: 107.6 (4th of 30). Forgive me if that hurt your eyes.

Forgive me as well for questioning your sincerity about your thoughts on scheme vs. individual defense. You are welcome to elaborate a bit more on this one and straighten me out. There's definitely a case to be made for one over the other, but I'll allow you to make it in support of your claim.

As for Kyle Korver, you knew I was being facetious, lol. He retired because he can't stay in front of anyone on defense or do anything in basketball that contributes to winning other than hitting an occasional wide-open three. That means he's washed. Like Carmelo.

Why keep Caruso's when you basically just replaced him for less money and did not have to go into a bidding war.

I am not dismissing the stats, I am saying that if you only look at the stat sheet but not the win losses you only tell part of the story.  The key point is that the Lakers without LB and AD would never have made it to the playoffs so they decided to go after another person who can score when both or one are down.  Will this work, who the hell knows but until we see how they work together its all just a bunch of opinions.  The thing is, the team was able to get Russ and also pretty much keep players who shoot above 38% from the 3 which is pretty standard for any team in the NBA at this point in time.  With no cap room, they still have the ability to spread the floor with the current talent of LB and Russ who need floor spacers.

Yes, its great to have individual defensive players but its the defensive scheme and how players communicate and work together that really matters.  Its the coach scheme to understand what the offense is trying to do and either take away their main option or have less capable people handle and shoot the ball.  Really how many iso defensive systems do you see in the NBA.   

Lets not just look at the Playoffs, do not forget before AD and LB got hurt during the regular season they limped into the playoffs.  If it was not for their start before the All Star break, they would have been sitting at home.  

Yeah, I knew you were being facetious with Korver but to be honest when you brought up his name, I was like "Hey, what the hell is Korver doing and then I was thinking didn't he retire".  Lol, I thought that was an interesting article.

Personally,  I really do not care if LA ever gets another championship, my team is Miami which by all intent have made great moves and I see them in the championship dance.  My basic opinion on the Lakers is that they can make it work with Russ.  I believe they have the right tools and this will allow LB mins to decrease which is something I believe he wants.  Does that mean they will be a championship team, I do not care, but I believe they should be interesting to watch with all these old heads running up and down the court for 80+ games.

Machiavellian said:
burninmylight said:

Why keep Caruso's when you basically just replaced him for less money and did not have to go into a bidding war.

There are no bidding wars with RFAs, hence the adjective "restricted." The best another team that doesn't own his rights could've done was to tender an offer sheet, which LAL could have immediately matched, and voila, they keep the player. LAL didn't even give him a qualifying offer to begin with, therefore, LAL let Caruso walk. Technically, it would have been possible for LAL to keep him for less than what he got on the open market if it gave him a QO, any other team tenders an offer sheet for less than his upcoming contract with the Bulls, and LAL matches it within two days.

I am not dismissing the stats, I am saying that if you only look at the stat sheet but not the win losses you only tell part of the story.  The key point is that the Lakers without LB and AD would never have made it to the playoffs so they decided to go after another person who can score when both or one are down.  Will this work, who the hell knows but until we see how they work together its all just a bunch of opinions.  The thing is, the team was able to get Russ and also pretty much keep players who shoot above 38% from the 3 which is pretty standard for any team in the NBA at this point in time.  With no cap room, they still have the ability to spread the floor with the current talent of LB and Russ who need floor spacers.

I don't only look at stat sheets; I use stat sheets to explain wins and losses, especially because I can't even pretend like I watch every team in depth. A good analyst (not saying I am, just what I believe) uses stats to confirm what the eyes see. I also don't use basic counting stats most of the time because they can be misleading fool's gold; that's how GMs and fans get fooled into thinking Hassan Whiteside is a good defensive big because he racks up a ton of blocks, or that Andre Drummond is good for a team because he soaks up a lot of rebounds (or Westbrook for that matter... oh my gawd I wish the Lakers would have kept Drummond to pair those two together now ~_~). Conversely, it's why a lot lot of people think (or used to think) that Brook Lopez was a horrible rebounder, even though any team he is/was on is/was at the top of the league in team boards.

I use advance stats to confirm what I believe, not to tell me how to think. I also use them so that my beliefs and the points I make have some weight under them, because I'm not here for that "Yes it is! Not it isn't! Yes it is!" or "Because I said so", or "Player X is a bigger name than Player Y so he's better" type of reasoning. If I'm going to take a stance on something, then I'm going to show you why, and I appreciate it when other's do the same, even if we don't agree. Ultimately, I'm here to learn and discuss, not see who can shout in each others' face the loudest.

Back to LAL, correct in that they don't make the playoffs without their stars. Westbrook can carry them into the playoffs if they're missing LBJ and/or AD, absolutely. But I don't think getting him as insurance to ensure they make the playoffs is a good investment. Westbook is an 82-game player, not a 16-game player. The Lakers should be building a roster full of 16-game players right now. Who the hell cares about just making the playoffs if you're not ready to do anything once you're there, a la this past postseason?

Also, when Russ, LBJ, AD and Dwight are all on the floor at the same time, there's not going to be a whole lot of floor-spreading no matter who that fifth guy is.

Yes, its great to have individual defensive players but its the defensive scheme and how players communicate and work together that really matters.  Its the coach scheme to understand what the offense is trying to do and either take away their main option or have less capable people handle and shoot the ball.  Really how many iso defensive systems do you see in the NBA.

You still need the right players to make schemes work. Talent > coaching. You are welcome to disagree with both of those statements. I have no freaking clue what you mean by "iso defensive systems" though. Man defense? Is that what you mean? If so, then... the majority of professional basketball all over the world, not just the NBA? lol

Lets not just look at the Playoffs, do not forget before AD and LB got hurt during the regular season they limped into the playoffs.  If it was not for their start before the All Star break, they would have been sitting at home.

That was my point earlier. Can't blame the rest of the roster for how they finished. You don't suddenly expect role players to play like superstars when those shoes need filling. When AD and LeBron were healthy the year before, look what happened. Everyone did their job, Lakers are your 2020 NBA champions.

Yeah, I knew you were being facetious with Korver but to be honest when you brought up his name, I was like "Hey, what the hell is Korver doing and then I was thinking didn't he retire".  Lol, I thought that was an interesting article.

Been a fan of Korver since his article in the player's tribune about white privilege.

Personally,  I really do not care if LA ever gets another championship, my team is Miami which by all intent have made great moves and I see them in the championship dance.  My basic opinion on the Lakers is that they can make it work with Russ.  I believe they have the right tools and this will allow LB mins to decrease which is something I believe he wants.  Does that mean they will be a championship team, I do not care, but I believe they should be interesting to watch with all these old heads running up and down the court for 80+ games.

Aw man, fuck you then. We swept your ass right after you gentleman swept our ass the year before, then you took PJ Tucker from us. If you can't beat 'em, steal their guys. And I'm rewatching that first round series right now, and I don't appreciate all of that dirty shit you sore losers were pulling left and right. Get the fuck outta here. Go to the beach and get the Delta variant or something.

Replies in bold

Last edited by burninmylight - on 05 August 2021

I guess my last post absolutely shut everyone else up, lol.

I'll try to revive this thread by sharing a bit on why Giannis is my favorite athlete. It's not just because he plays for my favorite team.

pic.twitter.com/UoRDivlILX

Reminds me of how I used to want to be anywhere but home around that age, because I was either depressed from not having the toys and games my better-off cousins had, scared to be outside in a drug-riddled and violent neighborhood, or at best, bored. I’d beg my mom to take us to Target (a superstore here in the US) because it would always have a couple of the current game consoles out with the latest games to play, and that was often my best way to experience new games. I’d get there and be like, "OK Mom, I’m good. You can leave me alone for a couple of hours now", lol.

I don't really go to Target very often these days, but in a weird way, I kind of see the brand as a friend, like the friend that would let you come over and play his/her games. And unlike my rich cousins, wouldn't make fun of me for circumstances I didn't yet understand or were beyond my control, didn't make me feel inferior, and didn't use what they had as a form of control.

Target is the reason that I'm such a huge Nintendo fan today. I was very much an impressionable kid in the mid-90s, and the PlayStation kiosk would often have demo disks of games that were buggy, took forever to load, and always incomplete. Even the ones that were fun ended far too early. Because the N64 obviously couldn't have demo disks, they'd put full games out on display, so I'd spend hours on Super Mario 64, GoldenEye, Star Fox 64, Mischief Makers and so on. So when the time came when I could finally get a console at home, it HAD to be the N64.

I don’t think we had it as bad as the Antetokounmpos, but part of the reason I root for Giannis is because I can absolutely relate to his come up. And I love how he has never taken his eyes off the prize while keeping family number one. You can hate him as a rival, but you have to love him as a person.