Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2020: Seahawks stuff Newton - Saints vs. Raiders on MNF

hatmoza said:
MasonADC said:
I was hurting watching the eagles lose.

I feel your pain. I genuinely do.

It's ok guys. You can take shots at my team, but I'm gonna be a sap for a moment. I never expected the Browns to win against the Ravens... but for them to lose the way they lost... No fan, who has eagerly been waiting for this NFL season throughout this miserable pandemic, should ever go through that type of beat-down. Especially when you are desperately looking for anything to lift your spirits in these days.

Ya, a team with the kind of talent that the Browns clearly have all over the field should not be getting smoked like this. I'm still of the opinion that Gregg Williams should have been kept on as head coach.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
PAOerfulone said:
So what’s the regional coverage in everyone’s area?

I’m living in southern Arizona.

On CBS, I’ve got the Dolphins-Patriots.
On FOX, I’ve got the Packers-Vikings. Then after that, Cardinals-49ers.

It's terrible. I've got Dolphins vs. Patriots on TV or Seahawks vs. Falcons as stream. Then Saints vs. Bucs afterwards.

Can't watch the Packers and the NFL cracked down on free streams so much that there's nothing easily accessible anymore.

Quite a few of the Kodi add-ons are still working. Your call whether it's worth the hassle, but in light of how the NFL isn't tripping over itself to make the content available anywhere I don't personally see any moral or ethical issues there.

hatmoza said:
PAOerfulone said:
So what’s the regional coverage in everyone’s area?

I’m living in southern Arizona.

On CBS, I’ve got the Dolphins-Patriots.
On FOX, I’ve got the Packers-Vikings. Then after that, Cardinals-49ers.

American in Dubai... don't have many options of watching. However, some of my students some years ago gave me some livestream websites for soccer (soccer is huge hear). Anyhow streaming website laws are lax here and I can get NFL games on some of those before mentioned stream sites.

Don't judge me :(

How's the quality? Asking for a friend.

Chris Hu said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

The coin flip picked 10 of 14 right so far in week one. Should have been 12 but the refs really fucked Dallas over at the end there.

Nope the Cowboys fucked themselves over like they always do they could have tied the game with a easy field goal but instead went for it on fourth down and turned the ball over.

meh, I liked the call. You should get used to it, McCarthy has balls unlike Jason Garrett. Yeah Garrett would have kicked there, but Garrett would have kicked there even if Dallas was down 7 instead of 3. They had a good play called, the Rams just made a better play. That call at the end of the game was just horrendous though. Same as the one in the Bengals game. That late in the game and two guys are both making contact and jockeying for position, you either call offsetting penalties or swallow your whistle. Ramsey flopped hard and the refs bit.

ANNOUNCEMENT - Week 1 Results and Standings

View the spreadsheet with all collected data here. Check your own statlines and let me know if there are any mistakes.

Week 1 was a typical first week in a NFL season with most participants in the prediction league being off to a good to great start. Most favorites in the NFL could deliver on their expectations, only a few lost to underdogs. Farsala was the sole player to finish with a 13-3 record and he could also collect a bonus point for correctly predicting the winner of SNF (Cowboys vs. Rams), resulting in a PP total of 5 for him (4 for the best record, 1 for SNF). The second-best record is worth 2 PP, the third-best grants 1 PP. Half a dozen players besides Farsala were also able to collect a bonus point from SNF.

# Username Record PP
1 Farsala 13-3 5
2 Angelus 12-4 2
2 LudicrousSpeed 12-4 2
2 sethnintendo 12-4 2
2 Shaunodon 12-4 3
3 Chris Hu 11-5 1
3 PAOerfulone 11-5 2
3 RolStoppable 11-5 2
4 Level1Death 10-6 1
5 burninmylight 9-7 1
5 castor 9-7 1
6 hatmoza 7-9 -
6 noname2200 7-9 -

The standings after week 1 aren't particularly interesting because the list looks largely identical to the results above, with only a few names being swapped around after factoring in the bonus point before writing the ranking; the results above are compiled purely on record, so the PP value of a lower listed player can commonly be higher than of a person above him. The standings are based on records with the PP serving as tie-breaking procedure with several columns, their priority going from left to right. In other words, tied records will be broken by amount of PP, then tied PP will be broken based on consistency (the amount of times a player posted a weekly top 3 record throughout the season), followed by higher amount of individual ranks if a tie still hasn't been solved. The two columns on the very right merely display how often someone got a bonus point (BP, usually for SNF) or a perfect week (PW = all picks correct).

# Username Record Pct. PP #1-3 #1 #2 #3 BP PW
1 Farsala 13-3 .813 5 1 1 - - 1 -
2 Shaunodon 12-4 .750 3 1 - 1 - 1 -
3 Angelus 12-4 .750 2 1 - 1 - - -
3 LudicrousSpeed 12-4 .750 2 1 - 1 - - -
3 sethnintendo 12-4 .750 2 1 - 1 - - -
6 PAOerfulone 11-5 .688 2 1 - - 1 1 -
6 RolStoppable 11-5 .688 2 1 - - 1 1 -
8 Chris Hu 11-5 .688 1 1 - - 1 - -
9 Level1Death 10-6 .625 1 - - - - 1 -
10 burninmylight 9-7 .563 1 - - - - 1 -
10 castor 9-7 .563 1 - - - - 1 -
12 hatmoza 7-9 .438 - - - - - - -
12 noname2200 7-9 .438 - - - - - - -

Looking ahead, week 2 isn't a particularly challenging week on paper, but week 2 is notorious for unexpected upsets (as is week 3), so the level of randomness in the NFL is higher than during your average week. The SNF game is Patriots vs. Seahawks, serving perfectly as a high profile toss-up game worthy of a bonus point for a correct pick in the prediction league.

Prediction League Playoff Format Remains Unclear

This year's prediction league has 13 participants, a high enough number to run the traditional knockout stage format in January. If all 13 players kept participating all the way through the regular season, 12 of them would qualify for the playoffs with only the 13th-ranked player failing to make the cut. 6 matchups would result from that number of player, allowing the 6 winners and 2 best losers of the bunch to advance to the second round for straight-forward quarterfinals where only the winners advance.

However, prediction leagues of the past regularly saw a dropout rate of player of around 25% over the course of the regular season, so in case only 11 or fewer players go all the way, the playoffs will be run in the minileague format that I suggested last week before the season started. NFL wild-card and divisional playoffs will be predicted with winners and spread, after those 10 games the four best players will qualify for the semifinals.

To sum it up, the playoff format in this year's prediction league will ultimately depend on how many people there will be by the end of the regular season. But in any case, it's not going to hurt anyone to pick to the best of his abilities over the course of the next three and a half months.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Pretty good start. Now let's see how quickly I can fuck it all up.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:

It's terrible. I've got Dolphins vs. Patriots on TV or Seahawks vs. Falcons as stream. Then Saints vs. Bucs afterwards.

Can't watch the Packers and the NFL cracked down on free streams so much that there's nothing easily accessible anymore.

Quite a few of the Kodi add-ons are still working. Your call whether it's worth the hassle, but in light of how the NFL isn't tripping over itself to make the content available anywhere I don't personally see any moral or ethical issues there.

hatmoza said:

American in Dubai... don't have many options of watching. However, some of my students some years ago gave me some livestream websites for soccer (soccer is huge hear). Anyhow streaming website laws are lax here and I can get NFL games on some of those before mentioned stream sites.

Don't judge me :(

How's the quality? Asking for a friend.

I'm the friend who's interested in knowing, do tell!

Angelus said:

I'll take 'what the Eagles were thinking in the first half' for 500, Alex.

Shaunodon said:
Angelus said:

Oof...hoping I don't manage to match that choke job lol

Also, I think you might be the first person on this site to ever address me by my actual name. What a stalker.

The coin was strong this week.

Angelus said:
Shaunodon said:

Oof...hoping I don't manage to match that choke job lol

Also, I think you might be the first person on this site to ever address me by my actual name. What a stalker.

Haha, that's a crazy coincidence. If only guessing names were worth an extra point.