By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2020: Tampa Bay Buccaneers win Super Bowl LV

I'm biased, but that was an awful Super Bowl. I have no idea what the refs were watching. All the injuries on the Chiefs offensive line finally caught up to them at the worst time. Even then Mahomes had two touchdown passes dropped that hit his receivers in the facemask. Crazy.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Master Quest
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

I'm biased, but that was an awful Super Bowl. I have no idea what the refs were watching. All the injuries on the Chiefs offensive line finally caught up to them at the worst time. Even then Mahomes had two touchdown passes dropped that hit his receivers in the facemask. Crazy.

The Bucs' defense does deserve a lot of credit for what it did, but I think you(and the announcers) are ultimately right: the game plan was apparently "keep picking on the fifth-string linemen, and take advantage of Mahomes' turf toe." Can't knock it, it worked. What I can knock is some of those calls; the early ones especially felt rinky-dink.

noname2200 said:
theRepublic said:

The Bucs' defense does deserve a lot of credit for what it did, but I think you(and the announcers) are ultimately right: the game plan was apparently "keep picking on the fifth-string linemen, and take advantage of Mahomes' turf toe." Can't knock it, it worked. What I can knock is some of those calls; the early ones especially felt rinky-dink.

It was the Brady-bonus that we all are probably used to by now.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

No argument here. My dad groused that some of those flags were clearly based on the assumption that Brady can't possibly miss a throw without some sort of foul, ergo flags everywhere.

noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:

No argument here. My dad groused that some of those flags were clearly based on the assumption that Brady can't possibly miss a throw without some sort of foul, ergo flags everywhere.

I couldn't believe the one on the pick.  There was nothing there on the replay.  If that was a flag, there should have been a flag on every single passing play on both teams.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Master Quest
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network

RIP Marty Schottenheimer he should have been in the hall of fame already and he isn't the only former Chargers head coach that should be in the hall of fame already Don Coryell should be also. Don Coryell is pretty much one of the key architects of the modern passing game plus he was the first head coach that won over 100 games in both the NFL and college.

Chris Hu said:

RIP Marty Schottenheimer he should have been in the hall of fame already and he isn't the only former Chargers head coach that should be in the hall of fame already Don Coryell should be also. Don Coryell is pretty much one of the key architects of the modern passing game plus he was the first head coach that won over 100 games in both the NFL and college.

Absolutely.  He is where the term "Air Coryell" comes from.  The Chargers remain the only team in history to lead the NFL in total Passing Yards for 6 consecutive seasons (with Charger QB Dan Fouts being the only QB to lead the NFL in Passing for 4 consecutive seasons).  His lack of a Super Bowl win holds him back, back his contribution to and impact on the game should be taken into context in those discussions.

ANNOUNCEMENT - Playoffs, Bracket Predictions

Not a good idea to postpone things like these, because it's easy to forget about them when there's no football to be played anymore. Anyway, here is the final update for completion's sake.

Shaunodon wins the playoffs after he had already won the regular season. His prediction was TB by 7 while his opponent Chris Hu went with KC by 7.

Bracket Predictions - Final Standings

#UsernameScoreRSSEEDPTWCWDPCCSB
1Chris Hu5222*21010440
2Shaunodon471621110422
3hatmoza4718*2910440
4RolStoppable41161810420
5PAOerfulone41143812220
6Angelus3916298220
7Farsala3514496200
8sethnintendo3311288220
9castor3213*186220
10noname22001911260000
11LudicrousSpeed158142000

*Includes 2 points for correct #1 Draft Pick.

The bracket predictions have long been won by Chris Hu, so the only noteworthy thing left to say is that Shaunodon moves up into second place on the back of his Tampa Bay Super Bowl pick before the season had started. This means that both Shaunodon and Chris Hu finished either in first or second place in all three contests this year.

Congratulations to the winners and a thank you to everyone else who kept participating throughout this season that wasn't especially busy in terms of number of players.

For next year there are bound to be minor adjustments to the rules, because the game of the week bonus point rule didn't pan out as expected. A hero pick rule promises to shake up things more, but it's exact implementation - as well as possibly a few other things - can be discussed in August when the new thread goes live.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

1 ring away from getting 2 custom Super Bowl knuckle-dusters.

Looking forward to a bold HERO PICK rule, so I can disguise my complete ineptitude as mere valor...