By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2020: Tampa Bay Buccaneers win Super Bowl LV

If i was just a little bit more knowledgeable with the NFC as I am with AFC, I could probably give Chris Hu and Shaun a run for their money... next year perhaps.

Thanks for a wonderful NFL league, rol. I don't think you get the credit you deserve for running these things. And yes, we do enjoy the updates, data, and personal input you give these threads. Even if we don't always comment on them.

Congratulations to Chris Hu for winning the brackets. I don't care what anyone says. Winning that is impressive.
Congratulations Shaun for winning the regular season. Honestly, that's the one I only care about winning personally. So to me, it's just as impressive as winning the brackets!

Good luck to both of you in the championship. Winner gets a big celebration with hoes and bitches on me!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

noname2200 said:

The Bucs have had a pretty high ceiling all year, so it wasn't out of the question that they could win, but it was still a very unpleasant surprise that they managed to pull it off this time. Still, they won it fair, so...still hoping the Chiefs embarrass them, because I'm a petty asshole.

I don't understand going for the field goal at the end there, though. It's technically a bit better to be down 5 instead of 8 in that situation, but also not really. I wish he'd gone for it; the results might have been the same, but they'd also taste a little less bitter.

Of course it wasn't out of the question that the Bucs could win. My point was that last year's road game against the 49ers was an absolute uphill battle for the Packers where they were considered the clear underdog by everyone, so going into this year's NFC championship game was very different.

hatmoza said:
RolStoppable said:

I didn't agree with LaFleur's call to kick a field goal at the end of the game because the Packers defense wasn't trustworthy to get a quick stop. The DPI call on the Packers was upsetting too, because the refs had been very lenient all game long. Sure, a jersey pull was clearly visible here, but the throw was so far off that it should have been ruled uncatchable and the flag been taken back. But this kind of stuff has been typical for Brady's career; he's blessed by the football gods.

did we watch the same game? leading up to the FG, GB's defense was lights out. While I too don't agree with the FG, I can understand the reasoning behind it; they trusted that their defense can make the stop.

We probably watched the same game, it's just that you aren't familiar enough with the Packers defense to know that they are very on and off. It wasn't any different yesterday when they made some dumb mistakes (most notably the end of first half TD) and then intercepted Brady on three consecutive possessions. But making interceptions in the middle of a drive isn't the same thing as pulling off quick stops. The Bucs got 9 yards on their first play after the Packers had kicked their final FG, after which LaFleur opted for an intentional encroachment to make it 1st&10 for the Bucs because it was a given that the Bucs would convert on 2nd&1.

Besides, if you trust your defense to make the stop, then you might as well go for it on 4th&Goal from the 8. Failure would have meant that the Packers still needed a TD (same situation as by converting the FG they made), but the FG attempt stripped Green Bay of the chance for success to tie the game right then and there.

It's not like the FG was the decisive moment of the Packers' loss, because the fourth quarter was full of missed opportunities to score a TD. It was merely the final nail in the coffin. The bigger question now is why the Packers didn't do more in free agency the past offseason after their actions in the year before had paid off by bringing the two Smiths on board; they had provided a much needed boost for the pass rush.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Someone said if Jets can pull off a trade for Deshaun Watson, it means they can use their #2 pick on a receiver. If the Texans trade Watson to them and don't get that #2 pick in return, the team should be moved to Canada. Even for Bill OB that'd be bad.

hatmoza said:
burninmylight said:

If we opened this man's front door, a river of **** would come spilling out!

I've been reading this again and again for the last ten minutes and I genuinely can't figure out if that's a shot at me for being a Browns fan, or a heartfelt consoling after all the tragedy us fans have been through.

Solely the latter, sir. I'm not a Brown's fan, but your team's HC was my team's OC last year, so I've been a pseudo-fan this year and wishing the Browns well. NEVER would have pegged them to win a road playoff game!

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

Someone said if Jets can pull off a trade for Deshaun Watson, it means they can use their #2 pick on a receiver. If the Texans trade Watson to them and don't get that #2 pick in return, the team should be moved to Canada. Even for Bill OB that'd be bad.

That, or three consecutive first rounders in subsequent drafts.

Two 1st rounders and a 3rd to upgrade to Matthew Stafford. Guess the Rams are so used to not picking in the 1st round, they just can't live any other way now.

Pretty good hall of fame class this year. Tom Flores should have been in the hall of fame for 20 years already. Also since it took forever for Drew Pearson to get in his career numbers look very unimpressive now even if he would have gotten in a lot sooner his numbers would have been not that impressive. But Lynn Swann's career numbers are even less impressive he just has more receiving touchdowns. Also since Calvin Johnson made it in as first ballot hall of famer; Andre Johnson should make it as first ballot hall of famer next year.

The Super Bowl picks are in and they are good ones. My own prediction is that the Chiefs will narrowly win this by 3 points.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Watching the tame with my family as usual. One interesting thing I thought I’d highlight:

My Dad, my Uncle, and all my old clients that I care for are rooting for Brady. (The Old Farts)
Me, my cousin who’s two years younger than me, and my friends I graduated high school with are rooting for Mahomes. (The Young Blood.)