By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2020: Tampa Bay Buccaneers win Super Bowl LV

RolStoppable said:
Shaunodon said:

(...)

(If he doesn't get his pick in time, I think it's reasonable to just put him down for KC)

Nope, that's not how this works. Everyone has to submit their picks either themself or by instructing someone to submit picks in their place (usually only necessary when someone's VGC account is banned). There's no "we can assume that this is the team he would pick, so let's make the pick for him." Showing up is part of the game.

I am obviously aware that he didn't pick NE vs. KC. I also talk with him on Discord about football on a regular basis, including yesterday. Still, I didn't tell him because I have to maintain impartiality as the prediction league host. If I helped one person, I'd have to help everyone else too. That's why helping nobody is the fairest approach with the highest level of consistency for me as the host.

There's no rule that prevents players from helping other players by reminding them or giving tips with things like injuries, so the first half of your post isn't a problem. But the second half demanded clarification on my part.

Fair enough. It's unfortunate Covid is already creating some confusion in the season.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

@Angelus Chiefs and Pats are playing in 2 hours fyi. Cam Newton and Sony Michel are out for the Patriots. They've also had to fly in just today, so they're probably jet-lagged.

(If he doesn't get his pick in time, I think it's reasonable to just put him down for KC)

Thanks for the heads up. Totally forgot. But ya, I'll take the Chiefs

Really should have happened before the season. Or really just halfway through the AFC-Semi against KC, after blowing that massive lead with continuous poor decisions. Somehow the decisions BillOB had made since only got worse.

Strangely enough for the Texans though, they've actually just gotten through their toughest stretch of the season, playing 3 strong teams, and another that at least on paper on from last year should be strong. They've also yet to play any of their division matchups, so their season is still quite salvagable.

RolStoppable said:

Shaunodon said:

Really should have happened before the season. Or really just halfway through the AFC-Semi against KC, after blowing that massive lead with continuous poor decisions. Somehow the decisions BillOB had made since only got worse.

Strangely enough for the Texans though, they've actually just gotten through their toughest stretch of the season, playing 3 strong teams, and another that at least on paper on from last year should be strong. They've also yet to play any of their division matchups, so their season is still quite salvagable.

The Texans' thought process must have been that the season can still be salvaged, but not with BOB at the helm. Apparently BOB was doing the playcalling as well, not just the head coach and general manager positions.

But I have my doubts that Houston can turn this around. They really miss Hopkins at WR, plus the Titans and Colts aren't the same pushovers they used to be in recent seasons. Packers, Bears and Browns from other divisions aren't easy games either (well, Bears might be). I don't think the Texans can get any better than 7-9 this season and even that is a longshot. They are more talented than the Jaguars, Bengals and Lions, but that would be only four wins. They'd have to split their series with the Titans and Colts, and win against the Bears or Browns. Dignity demands that they lose to the Packers, so that's that.

Too bad for BOB that his team isn't in the NFC East. You could argue with your owner all year about how everything is still up for grabs.

RolStoppable said:
Angelus said:

Too bad for BOB that his team isn't in the NFC East. You could argue with your owner all year about how everything is still up for grabs.

As long as the Cowboys defense remains atrocious, that will certainly hold true. The Cowboys offense is leaps and bounds above the rest of its division, but that doesn't make them a safe bet to win the NFC East.

The Giants haven't scored a TD in a while. If they don't manage it in week 5 against the Cowboys, then it will require a miracle to make it happen down the line.

Even the Cowboys' offense, while certainly nothing to sneeze at, never really seems to kick it into high gear until they're already in a hole too big to climb out of. If they were capable of playing the way they play in garbage time for a full 48 minutes, or even like 3 quarters, without turning the ball over a bunch to start every game....then even their defense wouldn't be able to prevent them from winning games.

Around the Network

Hey Rol,

Can I not submit my picks anymore and just "assume" that I got all my picks correct?

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Angelus said:

Even the Cowboys' offense, while certainly nothing to sneeze at, never really seems to kick it into high gear until they're already in a hole too big to climb out of. If they were capable of playing the way they play in garbage time for a full 48 minutes, or even like 3 quarters, without turning the ball over a bunch to start every game....then even their defense wouldn't be able to prevent them from winning games.

You are bsolutely correct. This is something I didn't realize until a day after the game. Cowboys offense was shit for two straight quarters. Dak had five possessions where they either went three and out or fumbled. And what people forget (and what I even forgot) is that when Dak went on his "magical" almost- comeback, The Browns almost intercepted the ball THREE times, and they eventually did intercept the ball on the fourth bad pass by Dak.

Dallas' problems are deeper than the defense. It's ownership, coaches, egos, control, etc.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

The Chiefs are the first NFL team to start the season 4-0 for four consecutive years.

BYE TB-CHI 1 LAR-WAS 1 BUF-TEN 1
PHI-PIT 2 ARI-NYJ 1 LV-KC 2 JAX-HOU 2
CIN-BAL 2 CAR-ATL 2 MIA-SF 2 NYG-DAL 2
IND-CLE 2 DEN-NE 2 MIN-SEA 2 LAC-NO 2

I'll take Tampa Bay on Thursday