By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - A Message To Our Xbox Community...

CGI-Quality said:
Shinobi-san said:

I think this is a really bad direction, and I say that as a previous moderator on the team and also primarily a PS/PC gamer. Perhaps there is a place for special focus on Xbox threads to ensure that it does not become a constant bashing ground simply because its 'Xbox', but this should simply be governed by the existing rule set.

There are many consequences for following this approach, and personally I believe it leads to further community segregation.

You think it is a bad direction to keep this thread all about Xbox? Fair enough (though I disagree on principle). Or perhaps it's the messaging of that post that has opened an unintended misunderstanding?

It's not to say that other brands can't be discussed under any circumstance. Rather, a topic dedicated to Xbox interests and site issues (this is a stressing of the point, since Xbox has taken a bit of a nosedive on our site over the past few years). We have the Empire thread for general news, so this will take a more administrative approach, but should still be treated as a place where Xbox fans shouldn't have to worry about a topic toppled by opposition (which, unfortunately, happens too often).

Threads like this for the others have not been ruled out, we're just focusing on Xbox at the moment.

Definitely not an issue with this thread, just the general approach of singling out a specific community, and highlighting the need for increased patrolling, safe spaces etc. I would just hope that every thread and post is treated within the same rule set no matter where a users allegiance lies and what topic he/she is posting in.

There really should never be a need for a safe space, as then I feel that the root cause of the issue is not being addressed. This also implies that their is a difference between the safe space and the normal space? Which I assume is obviously not the intention. Ultimately users behaviors, no matter where their allegiance lies, should be judged individually and objectively no matter where the post is going, safe space or not.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
CGI-Quality said:

You think it is a bad direction to keep this thread all about Xbox? Fair enough (though I disagree on principle). Or perhaps it's the messaging of that post that has opened an unintended misunderstanding?

It's not to say that other brands can't be discussed under any circumstance. Rather, a topic dedicated to Xbox interests and site issues (this is a stressing of the point, since Xbox has taken a bit of a nosedive on our site over the past few years). We have the Empire thread for general news, so this will take a more administrative approach, but should still be treated as a place where Xbox fans shouldn't have to worry about a topic toppled by opposition (which, unfortunately, happens too often).

Threads like this for the others have not been ruled out, we're just focusing on Xbox at the moment.

Definitely not an issue with this thread, just the general approach of singling out a specific community, and highlighting the need for increased patrolling, safe spaces etc. I would just hope that every thread and post is treated within the same rule set no matter where a users allegiance lies and what topic he/she is posting in.

There really should never be a need for a safe space, as then I feel that the root cause of the issue is not being addressed. This also implies that their is a difference between the safe space and the normal space? Which I assume is obviously not the intention. Ultimately users behaviors, no matter where their allegiance lies, should be judged individually and objectively no matter where the post is going, safe space or not.

There isn’t a subset of rules pertaining to any one brand, occurrence, thread, or what have you. This is simply letting people know that things will be stepped up in an area that has been largely neglected by mods (past and present). It’s not an invitation to deviate from any normal enforcement of the rule set. 

Simply put, if Xbox fans (and Xbox threads) were being treated the same, you’re right, we wouldn’t need ‘safe spaces’. But, alas, that isn’t the case and as mods we need to do better. This is one way to let them know that we’re gonna do that. Everything can’t get equal recognition in this regard because the situation hasn’t been equal.

You locked my thread in the Xbox section because of "backseat moderating, flaming, and trolling" yet virtually none of it was coming from anyone talking Xbox. Outside of a couple of users who are always negative in Xbox threads, the talk was very good and civil. Seems a simpler solution would have been to remove the people bothered by the discussion, but it was an Xbox thread, so it was locked. Seems really nothing has changed. If there's to be any Xbox talk that for whatever stupid reason might bother some of the other users, the only place for it will be the megathread.

This makes me so happy! Thank you!

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, I do agree that some Xbox fans are constantly bullied on this site and this should be stopped. There is no question about it. The same goes for games that are exclusive to the platform, and where discussions often degenerate into game/developer bashing and console cock comparisons. I get it why some people might not feel welcomed, and I will be entirely honest, I to have helped somewhat in a negative manner with some of my older posts. At least I hope that I managed to grow enough, so I will not insult anyone anymore with petty posts.

On the other hand, it does smell a bit of censoring certain grievances, just for the sake of keeping a larger number of users on board. Moves like these are often a slippery slope and the results are often questionable at best. It seems that a certain category of users will receive some extra positive attention from the mod team just because they are in a numerical minority. This might affect the quality of posts in the long-term and might alienate a certain segment of the community.

Just as an example, I use several MS products, both at work (SharePoint, Project Server, Windows Server, Hyper-V, Git, etc.) and for gaming (Windows PC, Xbox 360/One controllers), though I do hold somewhat of a grudge against the Xbox brand (and it's curent leadership/expansion mentality), as I do not believe that they are always beneficial to the industry. I wonder how quickly this new-found attention will result in some of my posts being mobbed, and the moderating team caving to the requests? I would like to think that the mod team is perfect in their judgment in what is considered trolling/flaming, and I do believe that the quality of the mod team grew in the last couple of years, but we have seen plenty of instances where moderation was patchy at best, or downright unjust at the worst.

With this thread, I do feel like there was a small bullseye put on my back, and I know already who are some of the other users that are targeted (no need to hide behind some kind of balanced profile/avatar image). I called this site my gaming home for the last 13 years+, it would be a shame if this decision will result in the opposite of what it is intended to do, ie. drive away certain people, who might not be perfect, but are still valuable members of the community.

I do hope that the ideas that CGI posted in the OP will be a healthy guideline that will help all of us interact in a more civilized manner, and make all Xbox fans feel at home, so I will try to look at it as a positive step, and that everyone sees this as a new start, where we can build up true community interoperability.

Cheers!

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
You locked my thread in the Xbox section because of "backseat moderating, flaming, and trolling" yet virtually none of it was coming from anyone talking Xbox. Outside of a couple of users who are always negative in Xbox threads, the talk was very good and civil. Seems a simpler solution would have been to remove the people bothered by the discussion, but it was an Xbox thread, so it was locked. Seems really nothing has changed. If there's to be any Xbox talk that for whatever stupid reason might bother some of the other users, the only place for it will be the megathread.

There can not be a flame without oxygen.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
LudicrousSpeed said:

It wasn’t a Microsoft specific thread, though. The intent was to highlight not only the hypocrisy of Sony, but defend Microsoft’s stance on a few things. I’m here to tell ya - when it comes to certain pieces of it, I actually agree with you. The PS4-to-PS5 cross gen games, for example (that were originally promised as full blown next gen exclusives) was a sting yesterday and Sony can be fairly called on it.

The big issue for your thread was the invitation to throw fans against each other when we already have lots of that going on, particularly in next gen centered topics. I saw it when it first went up and continued to monitor it, but with a good few reports coming in, and a handful of posts leading to ultimate degradation, I thought it best to cut it before things got worse.

Like I said, I am all for calling Sony out on some of this, but let's do it in a way that proper discussion can be had. Maybe make a thread that compares and contrasts what both companies have said/done in regards to their new devices.  

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 17 September 2020

LudicrousSpeed said:

Good lock and the thing you complain about What some users did in your thread ? you do in 99% of your posts in anything Sony related and you do it for years with barely any consequences from moderation team, you are a true master of dodging bans , baiting and stealth trolling but you love to cry about it só Much when other people do it for Microsoft and they are miles away from being as bad as you in this regard. 

Now i Will probably BE banned for stating the obvious and the hipocrisie in your post, for saying What everyone thinks and even What mods think but by some bizzare reason they still manage to let you escape 99% of the time.

User was banned for this comment - Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 20 September 2020

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Good lock and the thing you complain about What some users did in your thread ? you do in 99% of your posts in anything Sony related and you do it for years with barely any consequences from moderation team, you are a true master of dodging bans , baiting and stealth trolling but you love to cry about it só Much when other people do it for Microsoft and they are miles away from being as bad as you in this regard. 

Now i Will probably BE banned for stating the obvious and the hipocrisie in your post, for saying What everyone thinks and even What mods think but by some bizzare reason they still manage to let you escape 99% of the time.

Not sure why you're so angry but either way you're wrong. I'm an Xbox user so of course I am held accountable. Last time I entered a Sony thread and was "negative" was two months ago and I was banned for saying Ghosts open world seemed generic. Banned for that comment on the forum of a website that reviewed that same game and gave it like a 6 out of 10 or something. Go figure. And ever since then I just don't go into Sony threads. I erased my Hot Topics bookmark, I have a Gaming and Microsoft bookmark.

Most of your rant is irrelevant to my post regarding the locked thread. It wasn't a negative thread, 90% of the talk that was going on in the thread was good stuff and the other 10% were from the same people you can find in plenty of other Xbox threads stinking discussion up. But they aren't Xbox users, so it's cool. It doesn't seem to matter what the discussion is going on in the thread, Playstation users seem to love the report button and mods will act on it whether the reports are valid or not. And that's fine, but it just goes to show that this idea that Xbox discussion will be in a better place is not really based on any reality. If a thread can be locked because non-Xbox people came in and shat it up and blasted the report button, then we're really not going anywhere. But again, that's cool. People just shouldn't be surprised when a majority of the Xbox userbase sticks to one thread. Not going to reply to you or anyone else on this anymore, and why would you be banned? You got awfully personal for no reason but you don't support Xbox. Bye.

LudicrousSpeed said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Not sure why you're so angry but either way you're wrong. I'm an Xbox user so of course I am held accountable...

You would not have been held accountable if you had held yourself accountable, first.  You know that thing call "self-accountability" where you'd look to yourself first before taking any asinine actions and then pointing the finger at everyone else.  And then there's "victim hood."  Just saying.