By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I'm Keeping my Switch, and Digital Refunds!

Tagged games:

"Also to those saying I should have known better or that its "well known" that you can't play Mario Bros over the internet... let me say this. I agree, it was one google search away. I made an assumption. Nonetheless if I had made the assumption on other platforms like Steam my day would have been much less regrettable."

This is a very weak argument. This is equivalent to the whole "It's 20XX, it shouldn't be this way." Thats a lame ass excuse for why something shouldn't be that way just because of the year we live in and so is the excuse that because other companies do it, so should nintendo. So what if Sony has a 14 day refund limit, Nintendo isn't Sony. It's a bad practice, but do we expect Nintendo to now back peddle on their policies because everyone else does it?

Do you know why Nintendo has a policy of not lowering their games? It's so its value isn't diminished. Do you know why their refund policy isn't like Steam or Sony or microsoft? I don't, but I can guess it's so rampant refunds aren't issued for any person not responsible with their money. Is it a good practice; no, not for the consumer. But does it benefit Nintendo in the long run? Maybe? But the point is its Nintendos perogitive that they can do that. It's called freedom. They're not taking your money, you gave it freely. I understand it's a not consumer friendly, but I never thought of Nintendo as a close friend willing to give me the benefit of doubt. Who does that? Who thinks that Apple solely exists to make my life great? No one. Come on, man.

Imagine if Nintendo cowtowed like everyone else because it's what the other companies were doing. We'd have the crappy clone that is the xboxone=ps4, instead of the switch.

Theres been lots of people arguing that Nintendo is a corporation that doesnt deserve defending. I could argue that the OP is just an I'll informed customer not worth standing up for. At least Nintendo gave me 100s of hours of fun. While the OP just gave me 5 minutes of laughter. If I had to choose whose side, I'd give it to Nintendo. And yeah, I am a Nintendo fan, duh. It's why my respond is so toxic. Haha ban me.

THREAD BAN (perm): Flaming

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 16 August 2020

Around the Network

I understand that it's a bit weird that such a game does not have online multiplayer when most other games do, and it would have not been such a big investment for Nintendo to put that in so your assumption is a mistake that happens more often i do think.
On top of that it would be ideal if they gave the consumers a short window of time to be able to refund a mispurschased game like you have with steam,as it is now they do not owe you a refund.

Edit : This thread is a bit full of people being defensive about their brand and mocking the OP, it is childish and not constructive.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 16 August 2020

d21lewis said:
Pyro as Bill said:

If your daughter has your Switch can't you play your daughter's Switch?

I got her a teal Switch Lite with a sparkly carrying case. I considered just transferring every game to it but I guess I'm insecure. Also thought about just selling that Switch and buying another regular Switch. That's an extra $100 plus whatever I lose selling a "used" Switch (I doubt it has an hour's playtime). And I still haven't seen a normal Switch in the wild since the pandemic began.

Yeah I'd be pretty embarrassed too. There's no way I'd want people knowing I chose a Switch Lite instead of the real one. Is there a shell/skin available to make it look like a proper Switch?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
d21lewis said:

I got her a teal Switch Lite with a sparkly carrying case. I considered just transferring every game to it but I guess I'm insecure. Also thought about just selling that Switch and buying another regular Switch. That's an extra $100 plus whatever I lose selling a "used" Switch (I doubt it has an hour's playtime). And I still haven't seen a normal Switch in the wild since the pandemic began.

Yeah I'd be pretty embarrassed too. There's no way I'd want people knowing I chose a Switch Lite instead of the real one. Is there a shell/skin available to make it look like a proper Switch?

No idea. Just waiting for the supposed update to come. They said "Later this year" but that hasn't happened, yet. Considering how many games I used to buy on a regular basis, maybe I should be thanking them for all of the money they saved me!

I still wanna play Xenoblade, though. 

CGI-Quality said:
AkimboCurly said:
Round two of General reply to common themes:

1. A "quick google search and you'd have been fine". Yes. I'm aware. The trouble is that with statements like "Online enabled" and "Mario, anytime, anywhere, with anyone", and the advertisement showing four players running through a level, I felt pretty confident the game had online co-op. It's easy to say in hindsight what I could have done - but I didnt feel any need to cynically second-guess the impression the above statements gave me.

2. Besides that, I think the centre of gravity of my original post was about the treatment I received from the Nintendo store. Really, the only reason I mentioned why we both thought it had online, and why we needed it to have online, was to get across that more casual Nintendo players like us could be forgiven for having these expectations, and why Nintendo should have a returns policy which responds to that. In our case, neither of us owned a Wii U or 3DS, I had an original Wii, and an original DS and Gameboy and then since 2008 or whenever the Wii was, hadn't bought a Nintendo machine. The idea that a flagship title would lack online co-op left both of us genuinely shocked in a way it probably wouldn't have shocked you as, i see, much more avid Nintendo users.

3. Anyway, the crux of this is the returns policy, and the complete lack of flexibility from the online store. I have returned a handful of games in the past on Steam, most recently cancelling my preorder for Crusader Kings 3 as I noticed it was going to be in game pass. No questions. On Xbox I returned Modern Warfare because after downloading for 6 hours it still had 80 GB of ridiculous "packs" without which the game didnt function except Warzone, about which i didn't care. This is the industry standard. These are the kinds of policy you only need once every blue moon. On the flip side, a policy like Nintendo's felt like they had sprung a trap against me. Like if you walked into some dodgy market in Anderlecht and get told by a burly Belgian gentleman that "you touch, you buy", pointing to his sign, despite all the other stalls treating shoppers respectfully. I wouldn't want to return to his stall in a hurry, even if it was my fault I missed the sign, and his clothes were unique.

4. The toxicity flamewar? Not sure what the point is because i normally only lurk on this forum. I was angry at the time of the original post and was outraged that I had been shafted in the way I had. I did want to sell the damn thing. If it weren't for the value of my back catalogue and the fact that my partner only has a switch, i'd be gone. I lost almost all my goodwill for them yesterday, as they clearly showed none to me. Sorry if my initial tone of voice set this legitimate conversation off on the wrong foot.

You presented your issues clearly and concisely. I saw nothing wrong it. I appreciate the update and your honesty all around!

Hmm, so to be clear: if I make statement of something reasonable in an angry manner with a thread title that overexaggerates and targets a fanbase, then it is fine? Good to know for the future.

If it isn't clear what I said: For me the content of his statements are fine, but the thread title and the angry manner of presentation aren't. If the mod team thinks different I need to change the style of my postings I guess.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
lol the replies are exactly how i imagined they would be. Some folks are so typical it's boring.

@OP good luck man, you'll need it trying to vent in a place like this.

What do you expect from a flamebait title and thread? How would you react if someone wrote something similar about your platform of choice?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Ouroboros24 said:

"Also to those saying I should have known better or that its "well known" that you can't play Mario Bros over the internet... let me say this. I agree, it was one google search away. I made an assumption. Nonetheless if I had made the assumption on other platforms like Steam my day would have been much less regrettable."

This is a very weak argument. This is equivalent to the whole "It's 20XX, it shouldn't be this way." Thats a lame ass excuse for why something shouldn't be that way just because of the year we live in and so is the excuse that because other companies do it, so should nintendo. So what if Sony has a 14 day refund limit, Nintendo isn't Sony. It's a bad practice, but do we expect Nintendo to now back peddle on their policies because everyone else does it? 

Yes, I want Nintendo to compete with other firms to satisfy consumer demand. As do most sane people. 

Mnementh said:
CGI-Quality said:

You presented your issues clearly and concisely. I saw nothing wrong it. I appreciate the update and your honesty all around!

Hmm, so to be clear: if I make statement of something reasonable in an angry manner with a thread title that overexaggerates and targets a fanbase, then it is fine? Good to know for the future.

If it isn't clear what I said: For me the content of his statements are fine, but the thread title and the angry manner of presentation aren't. If the mod team thinks different I need to change the style of my postings I guess.

I agree the thread title is an angry one. It doesn't target a fanbase though, and I wasn't exaggerating, it was authentic anger! It targets a policy which has really put me off and lost me a lot of goodwill with the company, but there's no love lost for the games themselves or the fanbase.

Leaving aside the shouty title, I think the body of the original post isn't unreasonable; I dont think it reads that way at all. The only sentence I don't stand by is complaining about the £49.99 price tag. Though I think the closed storefront means we can afford and play fewer games, it distracts from the main argument I was making about the awful returns policy. 

AkimboCurly said:
Mnementh said:

I agree the thread title is an angry one. It doesn't target a fanbase though, and I wasn't exaggerating, it was authentic anger! It targets a policy which has really put me off and lost me a lot of goodwill with the company, but there's no love lost for the games themselves or the fanbase.

Leaving aside the shouty title, I think the body of the original post isn't unreasonable; I dont think it reads that way at all. The only sentence I don't stand by is complaining about the £49.99 price tag. Though I think the closed storefront means we can afford and play fewer games, it distracts from the main argument I was making about the awful returns policy. 

I believe you your anger, I would be pissed in that situation too. But that sets the responses in relation. And it attracted the gloating of people full of disdain towards Nintendo and their fans, as is visible in this thread.

CGI-Quality said:

He edited and realized he was a little too heated about it. Yes, that I give credit to. That's something that should go along way with users here. :)

Had he presented half-hearted much-a do-about-nothing, that would be different. Nintendo wasn't assaulted and he can choose to not buy their products if he so pleases (again, he has a story to back up why he feels this way [or felt that way in the moment]). If you can show me where his title targets a fanbase, we can discuss it further. To me, "Why I'm Selling my Switch and will NEVER buy Nintendo again" neither targets a base nor exaggerates anything. Again, content is key and the OP is enough to get an idea into his current situation. That's okay if you don't like it. The title can also be edited to better reflect the updated OP material, but it isn't a necessity because no infraction exists there.

I also see something else going on in this thread — someone has a legitimate criticism/issue and they were mocked and taunted for it by some people whom he may have considered gaming peers.

[...]

Yep. Like I eluded, sure, the title is a little angry, but your post elaborates on why. Were it a simple one liner with very little to back up said title, that would be a different story.

Hmm, sounds like 101 for: How to make a thread targeting at riling up a fanbase without getting moderation.

Look, I fully believe Akimbo made that thread out of real and understandable anger. But you can believe me, that some people will take notes on how to do this.

I didn't answer the thread initially, because I saw it is a real issue, I saw everything useful was said and the thread already attracted gloating from other fanbases. But this note of yours is not filling me with trust, that the plan to make a more inviting community for XBox-fans will actually work. I am happy if I'm wrong with my fears though.