By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

LurkerJ said:

To stop what? You asked me to stop and informed that "I am being respectful to you", you wouldn't say unless you wanted to imply that I was disrespectful. What a random thing to say anyway, in fact, your last two posts are full of random statements that don't say anything at all. 

For the example, the underlined part: How are they exactly heading that way with a shrinking market? What recent practices imply to you that Apple is becoming more controlling? Why should I be more concerned when there is enough competition to keep Apple in check? You give no explanation whatsoever.

The truth of the matter is that iOS becomes more open with every annual update, and the app store policies have been largely the same for most developers since its inception, and those policies don't deviate from the norms the industry has been accustomed to. In addtion, iPhones sales ceiling has been established and the only forward is selling less iPhones (with updates cycles getting longer every year), I just don't understand what metrics you're looking at that makes you believe Apple is heading down a non-consumer friendly path. 

To stop saying that I'm using the rules like I want to. Stop pretending like you're more objective than me. I'm not implying that you're being disrespectful, I'm implying that you should stop pretend like I'm bending logic when I'm being respectful. Can you understand that simple request? Thank you in advance, I know you'll get what I mean.

I explained that Apple has a very big marketshare, only shared with one other competitor. Its rules are draconian and have caused problems in the past.

Regarding marketshare, the metrics I am using are on a regional basis like I mentioned in my past posts (which you consider random probably because you don't read them). If your metric is global, then you won't agree. But I clearly said I was talking about regional marketshare. In the US, they have nearly 50% of the market, and it's growing.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/236550/percentage-of-us-population-that-own-a-iphone-smartphone/

However, globally, the only two competitors are Apple and Google for smart device OS marketshare. That's what you can call an oligopoly, a state of limited competition, in which a market is shared by a small number of producers or sellers. (Definition taken from Google) The implications of an oligopoly, which should concern you, are the following (taken from google so you don't say my posts are random anymore):

"The economic and legal concern is that an oligopoly can block new entrants, slow innovation, and increase prices, all of which harm consumers. Firms in an oligopoly set prices, whether collectively – in a cartel – or under the leadership of one firm, rather than taking prices from the market."

So, while Apple's rules might be getting in certain areas more loose, as you can see in this case, and in the case of Apple forbidding xCloud and stadia on its app store, that Apple can mostly decide who gets to operate on their platform almost on purely subjective rules, which they decide, and so they can limit competition by that same fact, in a situation where they are either leaning towards monopoly, or towards oligopoly.

This is not just affecting the question of iOS, but also many other areas touched by the big IT compagnies (ex: mergers and acquisitions), which I already explained are put under hearing so that the government can gain clarity on these anti-competitive practices that we're seeing.

Thanks again for changing your attitude and being constructive.

Around the Network

Apple Terminates Epic Games' Developer Account

"Update: In a statement, Apple confirmed the account has been removed and said it's disappointing that the termination had to happen.

We are disappointed that we have had to terminate the Epic Games account on the ‌App Store‌. We have worked with the team at Epic Games for many years on their launches and releases. The court recommended that Epic comply with the ‌App Store‌ guidelines while their case moves forward, guidelines they’ve followed for the past decade until they created this situation. Epic has refused. Instead they repeatedly submit Fortnite updates designed to violate the guidelines of the ‌App Store‌. This is not fair to all other developers on the ‌App Store‌ and is putting customers in the middle of their fight. We hope that we can work together again in the future, but unfortunately that is not possible today.

Apple says that the termination applies only to the Epic Games developer account, and it occurred after Epic Games was provided with 14 days to comply with the ‌App Store‌ rules. The removal of the Epic Games account is Apple's standard process for all accounts that defy ‌App Store‌ policies.

Epic no longer has the option to submit apps or updates through its developer account and in-app purchases in the Fortnite app will no longer be a functional option for Fortnite players. Apple says that disabling in-app purchases will protect users as Fortnite's new season launches as Epic had been directing users to Apple's support staff to get purchase refunds. "

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/28/apple-terminates-epic-games-developer-account/

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Captain_Yuri said:

"Update: In a statement, Apple confirmed the account has been removed and said it's disappointing that the termination had to happen.

We are disappointed that we have had to terminate the Epic Games account on the ‌App Store‌. We have worked with the team at Epic Games for many years on their launches and releases. The court recommended that Epic comply with the ‌App Store‌ guidelines while their case moves forward, guidelines they’ve followed for the past decade until they created this situation. Epic has refused. Instead they repeatedly submit Fortnite updates designed to violate the guidelines of the ‌App Store‌. This is not fair to all other developers on the ‌App Store‌ and is putting customers in the middle of their fight. We hope that we can work together again in the future, but unfortunately that is not possible today.

Apple says that the termination applies only to the Epic Games developer account, and it occurred after Epic Games was provided with 14 days to comply with the ‌App Store‌ rules. The removal of the Epic Games account is Apple's standard process for all accounts that defy ‌App Store‌ policies.

Epic no longer has the option to submit apps or updates through its developer account and in-app purchases in the Fortnite app will no longer be a functional option for Fortnite players. Apple says that disabling in-app purchases will protect users as Fortnite's new season launches as Epic had been directing users to Apple's support staff to get purchase refunds. "

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/28/apple-terminates-epic-games-developer-account/

This is a clever move, because they now won't ban UE from IOS, but Epic itself instead. Epic had the time to sort this out, but as usual, they stick to their side (they are still doing this in regards to buying up exclusives to harm GoG/Steam). 

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

This is a clever move, because they now won't ban UE from IOS, but Epic itself instead. Epic had the time to sort this out, but as usual, they stick to their side (they are still doing this in regards to buying up exclusives to harm GoG/Steam). 

Someone finally put them in their rightful place.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Captain_Yuri said:

Someone finally put them in their rightful place.

Apple be like

Around the Network

Now that it's confirmed that the Unreal Engine isn't in trouble, the support for Epic's antics will likely be miniscule.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

LurkerJ said:
AsGryffynn said:

The abuse is closing their OS to sideloaded applications and distribution services. If you could load up Cydia or AltStore by downloading a profile from the Internet, tap away a couple warnings and switches and then run everything Apple wouldn't sell to you, then this case would be complete bullshit as the judge could just say "make your own store" and tell people to download it from their site. 

The main difference between console and iPhone being that console game making tools are essentially tied to MS, whereas making an .ipa file is not any harder than making an .apk 

So loading a second store into a XBO is impossible because then the hardware wouldn't even run the games designed for it. Sideloading an .ipa into iOS would be easy if instead of revoking the ability of people to do so, they allowed end users to sideload normally like they do on Android after pestering them not to. 

A made up artificial difference so that, again, you can draw arbitrary distinctions on why only iOS is guilty of being a closed environment. I must be imaging all the apps, costume software and Linux on PS3. All made their way to various consoles from different generations that ran perfectly side by side without compromising how the console originally was intended to function. 

Oh how wrong you are. If we want to be stringent, you can. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/18/11701714/xbox-one-running-windows-95

Sadly, no one has come up with NTBox or they could just run W10 on the thing and breath new life into their unique ecosystem. Technically, you can do that with .ipa files. However, Apple even pulled the ability to sideload without third party installed applications like Cydia or AltStore. 

AsGryffynn said:
LurkerJ said:

A made up artificial difference so that, again, you can draw arbitrary distinctions on why only iOS is guilty of being a closed environment. I must be imaging all the apps, costume software and Linux on PS3. All made their way to various consoles from different generations that ran perfectly side by side without compromising how the console originally was intended to function. 

Oh how wrong you are. If we want to be stringent, you can. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/18/11701714/xbox-one-running-windows-95

Sadly, no one has come up with NTBox or they could just run W10 on the thing and breath new life into their unique ecosystem. Technically, you can do that with .ipa files. However, Apple even pulled the ability to sideload without third party installed applications like Cydia or AltStore. 

Genuinely confused with what you're trying to prove with the story you linked, that I am right? I already know that....

Epic asks court to prevent Apple’s ‘retaliation’ and allow Fortnite back on the App Store

How soon will they update the game and comply with Apple & Google guidelines? 2 or 3 weeks?

LurkerJ said:

Epic asks court to prevent Apple’s ‘retaliation’ and allow Fortnite back on the App Store

How soon will they update the game and comply with Apple & Google guidelines? 2 or 3 weeks?

Given how big of a deal Epic made about this whole thing, I think they'll wait a bit longer before they comply, until a point in time when most people have forgotten about this story.

If I remember correctly, iOS makes up for clearly under 10% of the total Fortnite playerbase, so Epic isn't under intense pressure to comply. They are greedy though, so they might just cave in sooner rather than later and drop their whole act.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments