By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts July 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I still think a lot of the ones with inevitable outcomes are still fun to watch, just to see how fast that outcome is reached.

Yeah true. Still interesting to see when the inevitable happens. 

For future ones I am thinking:

• XSX vs PS5
  • XSX vs Switch
  • XSX vs Xbox One
  • XSX vs Xbox 360
  • PS5 vs Switch
  • PS5 vs PS4
  • PS5 vs PS3

I would still like to see Switch vs. PS4+Vita.  If Switch gets compared to Wii U+3DS, then why not compare it to PS4+Vita also?  It would definitely be a closer comparison.

Around the Network

At this point I still continue to doubt the next gen release for this year .. I think there is pretty good chance for delaying them for sometime next year.

Be sure to share the article here.

Switch vs Xbox One in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Less Than 8 Million Behind in July 2020

This monthly series compares the lifetime US sales of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 393,752 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,228,430 - Switch

Total Lead: 7,749,728 - Xbox One

Switch Total Sales: 20,924,285

Xbox One Total Sales: 28,674,013

July 2020 is the 41st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap shrunk in favor of the Switch by 393,752 units when compared to the Xbox One. In the last 12 months, the Switch has caught up to the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US by 5.23 million units. The Switch is currently 7.75 million units behind the Xbox One in the US.

The Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 20.92 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 28.67 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 4.38 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 16.54 million units through 40 months.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Switch vs Xbox One in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Less Than 8 Million Behind in July 2020

This monthly series compares the lifetime US sales of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 393,752 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,228,430 - Switch

Total Lead: 7,749,728 - Xbox One

Xbox One Total Sales: 28,674,013

July 2020 is the 41st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap shrunk in favor of the Switch by 393,752 units when compared to the Xbox One. In the last 12 months, the Switch has caught up to the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US by 5.23 million units. The Switch is currently 7.75 million units behind the Xbox One in the US.

The Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 20.92 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 28.67 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 4.38 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 16.54 million units through 40 months.

Will be interesting to see how quickly Switch can conquer Xbone's last stand on its home turf.

Xbone won't be selling much more from here on out, so it will soon become a stationary target.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

PS4 vs DS in Europe Sales Comparison – PS4 Closes the Gap in July 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo DS.

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 195,217 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,176,995 – PS4

Total Lead: 3,733,217 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 46,697,469

DS Total Sales: 50,430,686

July 2020 is the 81st month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared with the Nintendo DS during the same timeframe by 195,217 units and by 2.18 million units in the last 12 months. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 3.73 million units.

The DS launched in March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, that is why you see spikes and dips. The DS is the best-selling platform in Europe in the last two video game generations, while the PlayStation 4 comes in second place.

The 81st month on sale for the PlayStation 4 in Europe is July 2020, while for the Nintendo DS it is November 2011. The PlayStation 4 has sold 46.70 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 50.43 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 51.84 million units lifetime in Europe. The PlayStation 4 is currently 5.14 million units behind the lifetime sales of the Nintendo DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - Switch Closes the Gap in July 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 280,333 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 22,987 - Switch

Total Lead: 6,187,742 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 16,339,542

Wii Total Sales: 22,527,284

July 2020 is the 41st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 280,33 units when you align the launches of it with the Wii. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by just 22,987 units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 6.19 million units.

The Wii launched in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 41st month for the Nintendo Switch is July 2020 and for the Wii it is April 2010. The Switch has sold 16.34 million units, while the Wii sold 22.53 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold 33.88 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 17.54 million units to outsell the Wii.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - Wii Lead Grows in July 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 161,886 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 165,692 - Wii

Total Lead: 7,069,440 - Wii

Wii Total Sales: 27,993,725

July 2020 is the 41st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Wii grew its lead over the Switch when you align the launches by 161,886 units. In the last 12 months, the Wii has outsold the Switch by 165,692 units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 7.07 million units.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 41st month for the Nintendo Switch is July 2020 and for the Wii it is March 2010. The Switch has sold 20.92 million units, while the Wii sold 27.99 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 20.78 million units to outsell the Wii.

trunkswd said:

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - Wii Lead Grows in July 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 161,886 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 165,692 - Wii

Total Lead: 7,069,440 - Wii

Wii Total Sales: 27,993,725

July 2020 is the 41st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Wii grew its lead over the Switch when you align the launches by 161,886 units. In the last 12 months, the Wii has outsold the Switch by 165,692 units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 7.07 million units.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 41st month for the Nintendo Switch is July 2020 and for the Wii it is March 2010. The Switch has sold 20.92 million units, while the Wii sold 27.99 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 20.78 million units to outsell the Wii.

Unless Nintendo do something really stupid like replace is prematurely, I still think it will have superior enough legs to catch up and eventually pass Wii's US total.

It'll be a tougher fight than globally, but while the Wii was a monster, Nintendo cut its legs short too soon; all they have to do now is not make the same mistake with Switch.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The fact the Switch is selling on par with the Wii right now is a really good sign. It should close the gap by a decent amount in 2021.

The Wii had a strong start but weak legs. The Switch had a good start, but it has been increasing very steadily each year. I'd expect the Switch to have some very strong legs.