Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?

With Sony and MS releasing new hardware, will Switch be considered as 9th gen?

Yes 79 51.97%

No 73 48.03%

Total:152
d21lewis said:
73 to 73

Closest vote, ever!

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

This seems pretty par for the course in the years I've discussed this on YouTube, Reddit, and other avenues. I firmly stand by that Switch is ninth generation, but it's not like I am guaranteed to feel that way for the rest of my life.

I also consider Game Boy Color a successor, not an upgrade to the Game Boy. There's not a clear consensus on that either.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
73 to 73

Closest vote, ever!

The 'No's are split between Switch being gen 7 or gen 8 (and they can't explain why Switch Lite belongs to the same gen as 3DS) therefore 'Yes' wins by default.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
d21lewis said:
73 to 73

Closest vote, ever!

The 'No's are split between Switch being gen 7 or gen 8 (and they can't explain why Switch Lite belongs to the same gen as 3DS) therefore 'Yes' wins by default.

😲

Oh. My. God.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

JRPGfan said:
160rmf said:

Did you actually bothered to look for the definition? Clearly not.

When you search for the meaning of generation the first thing you found is a picture of a elder woman, their daughter (probably around their 30s ) and her granddaughter ( around 10 years old). The description of the picture is " 3 generations on the same picture"

Generations are not the about the characteristics of the elements grouped within but only about the time of replacement.

For example a boy with 14 years old living in a small traditional farm with absolutely no contact with the urban life and no desire to know about it further and a girl with the same age living in a big city will share the same characteristics? So according to you they don't belong to the same generation

Just because many of you use the wrong term doesn't make it right

Not when you use the word to talk about human offspring, as birthed in order.
Grandparents -> mother -> child.

However if you talk about it in reguards to say a generation of kids (x,y,z, milleniums ect):
(this is the one most like our consoles)

Generation Z:

"The demographic cohort succeeding Millennials and preceding Generation Alpha.Researchers and popular media use the mid-to-late 1990s as starting birth years and the early 2010s as ending birth years. Most members of Generation Z have used digital technology since a young age and are comfortable with the Internet and social media, but are not necessarily digitally literate. Most members of Generation Z are the children of Generation X[1] and sometimes millennials.[2]

Do you see?
They talk about time, they talk about what sets them apart from older gens (they grew up with internet, social media, ect).

Its the same with consoles.

This would be like time, specific technologies used this gen in games, games shared library for a gen between devices.

You are reaching. This is so over the top and unnecessary reasoning for console generations, we will only have 3 consoles for the following years ffs, but anyway...

I can see that you are kind for the type of tech that Sony and MS bring every gen so you buy this marketing stunt of "NEXT GEN" so you all will keep this classification and messy timeline till the end, so I won't bother with this conversation anymore.

We reap what we sow

d21lewis said:
Pyro as Bill said:

😲

Oh. My. God.

See how much clearer things become when you apply a little bit of logic and common-sense?

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
d21lewis said:
73 to 73

Closest vote, ever!

Switch Lite is the same gen as the 3DS because generations are defined by power.

Power is also the reason why the PS4 is in the same generation as the 3DS.

EDIT: The Wikipedia page for the eighth generation of video game consoles is hilarious. As if it wasn't already bad enough to make the launch timings cover 2011-2017 by wrongly labeling Switch as gen 8, they even run a handheld-only section that has launch timings from 2011-2019 and still don't realize that something went very wrong.

Label Switch as gen 9 (as it should be) and you get 2011-2013 for gen 8 and 2017-2020 for gen 9. Makes a lot more sense, but is apparently too much to ask for.

Last edited by RolStoppable - on 06 August 2020

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Switch Lite is the same gen as the 3DS because generations are defined by power.

Power is also the reason why the PS4 is in the same generation as the 3DS.

EDIT: The Wikipedia page for the eighth generation of video game consoles is hilarious. As if it wasn't already bad enough to make the launch timings cover 2011-2017 by wrongly labeling Switch as gen 8, they even run a handheld-only section that has launch timings from 2011-2019 and still don't realize that something went very wrong.

Label Switch as gen 9 (as it should be) and you get 2011-2013 for gen 8 and 2017-2020 for gen 9. Makes a lot more sense, but is apparently too much to ask for.

"Although it is a hybrid console, Nintendo classifies it as "a home console that you can take with you on the go".

Nintendo has never used the word hybrid afaik so it's pretty bold of Wikipedia to declare Switch a hybrid without any source especially when Nintendo have repeatedly said “Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost,”

It can't be a handheld anyway because everyone (except wiki) knows handhelds don't have detachable controllers.

One thing about saying the Switch is 9th gen. That means they came in dead last in the 6th and 8th gen. That's 2/3 losses to Xbox.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

d21lewis said:
One thing about saying the Switch is 9th gen. That means they came in dead last in the 6th and 8th gen. That's 2/3 losses to Xbox.

The Dreamcast finished last in the 6th gen. But yes, Nintendo finished behind Xbox twice so far. That's factual.

At this point it's a foregone conclusion for virtually everyone that Switch will sell more lifetime than the XSX, so Nintendo equalizes to 2-2 vs. Xbox. It's also likely that Switch will sell more lifetime than the PS5, so the Nintendo vs. PS tally goes to 4-3 in favor of Nintendo. You know what this means? Microsoft is stronger competition than Sony.

Spoiler!
How many people will take the second paragraph dead serious?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

8.5th gen home console
6th gen portable
1st gen hybrid

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!