By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread (MC: 83 / OC: 85)

Tagged games:

LudicrousSpeed said:
I don’t care for much of Microsoft’s games either, so your ad hominem nonsense regarding exclusives is mostly irrelevant. And why would SP have a meta critic ceiling? Why do meta scores even matter?

The combat I can see with my own eyes, I don’t need to trust reviewers opinions on it. The design of the open world and the quality of the side quests however, i haven’t seen. And it seems like it’s another Horizon ZD in that regard, not a good thing imho.

As I said I will still play it, just not day one now. Idk why some of you get so bothered by a simple opinion.

So you trust your eyes to perfectly judge how the combat plays despite the wild praise it's received from reviewers? I think we can agree that eyes are capable of reliably judging the quality of graphics, production values, and aesthetics, but gameplay when it comes to this kind of games? 

I have no problems with you quoting the reviewers on anything but it is hypocritical to selectively trust them and distrust them when it's obviously convenient for you to do. "Trusting your eyes" to the extent of dismissing countless reviewers who spent hours playing the game is flawed logic, and calling out flawed logic is not ad hominem.

I personally thought the gameplay looked tight, but I still waited for the reviews to check if my impressions match their experience, and it's not like I am buying the game any time soon either. 

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
COKTOE said:

Of course. Of course the only adjectives you use are terrible and generic.

Generic isn’t my word, friend. It’s what the reviews I read have said. Hope that helps.

So weird they called the open world generic,it looks really diverse and they use so many different colors and the asset placement seemed to be handled with care.

I would say the open world of this game is one of the parts with most effort put into it.

LurkerJ said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
I don’t care for much of Microsoft’s games either, so your ad hominem nonsense regarding exclusives is mostly irrelevant. And why would SP have a meta critic ceiling? Why do meta scores even matter?

The combat I can see with my own eyes, I don’t need to trust reviewers opinions on it. The design of the open world and the quality of the side quests however, i haven’t seen. And it seems like it’s another Horizon ZD in that regard, not a good thing imho.

As I said I will still play it, just not day one now. Idk why some of you get so bothered by a simple opinion.

So you trust your eyes to perfectly judge how the combat plays despite the wild praise it's received from reviewers? I think we can agree that eyes are capable of reliably judging the quality of graphics, production values, and aesthetics, but gameplay when it comes to this kind of games? 

I have no problems with you quoting the reviewers on anything but it is hypocritical to selectively trust them and distrust them when it's obviously convenient for you to do. "Trusting your eyes" to the extent of dismissing countless reviewers who spent hours playing the game is flawed logic, and calling out flawed logic is not ad hominem.

I personally thought the gameplay looked tight, but I still waited for the reviews to check if my impressions match their experience, and it's not like I am buying the game any time soon either. 

Yes? You can’t look at a game and tell if you will enjoy the combat or not? You can’t see if the stealth is any good, how much weight the weapons have, etc? There were plenty of videos from SP themselves and leaks as we got closer to release. 

I am a sucker for these open world games usually, and if the world and quests are any good I’ll stomach bad combat. But a generic design and bad combat means I don’t want to pay $60. I’ll pay less down the line.

There is nothing at all hypocritical about trusting some reviewers but not others. There’s also nothing wrong with forming an opinion on an element of a game you have seen but holding out for opinions on others. 

I saw someone on Instagram getting her copy delivered today.

Is there anyone else already playing it? Gonna pick up mine tomorrow morning.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Not sure if this has been posted but this is pretty amusing considering the hype around SSDs and loading times

Ghost Of Tsushima Devs Slowed Down Load Times So You Could Read The Tips

https://kotaku.com/ghost-of-tsushima-devs-slowed-down-load-times-so-you-co-1844409624

I will probably get this game soon though.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
With Edge 60 it has now fallen to 83 on Metacritic.

Edge is such trash. In every single issue they pan a game, and then give a higher score to an inferior game. This issue it was GoT getting put under the most intense microscope, while Valorant basically got a free pass. I'm sure Valorant is a good game, deserving of the 8 they gave it, but if they had any editorial consistency, in their review methodology, then Valorant should be critiqued to death just as much as GoT.

BraLoD said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Edge is such trash. In every single issue they pan a game, and then give a higher score to an inferior game. This issue it was GoT getting put under the most intense microscope, while Valorant basically got a free pass. I'm sure Valorant is a good game, deserving of the 8 they gave it, but if they had any editorial consistency, in their review methodology, then Valorant should be critiqued to death just as much as GoT.

EDGE is all over the place, it's definitely one of the weirdest out there.

Like, who could ever give Diablo a 7, Diablo II a 6 and Diablo III a 9?

I think I know the answer, Edge.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

My favorite review outlets are Easy Allies, and Destructoid. Both use the same reviewer for almost everything, except when the regular reviewer is overburdened or unfamiliar with a genre. And even then, they find somebody qualified from a small team of respectable staff.

Who is on the Edge review team? I feel like they have several shitty freelance writers with absolutely no taste in games.

BraLoD said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Keep in mind, I don't think each game was reviewed by the same person. I got a lot of flack for that when I wrote for GamrReview here, and one thing I notice is that readers will scrutinize the hell out of any low score given to a game they love. sometimes that means bitching becuase the scores among the franchise are inconsistent, other times becuase they're too consistent....bah. Don't let it get to you. Reviews are subjective, and that's why I like Meta so much, it's the closest thing to an objective, overall opinion of a piece of media. but even though this is 'only' at an 83 right now, the actual content of the reviews praise the things I am excited for while criticising things I don't think will bother me or don't matter to me. 

The biggest complaint seems to be that the game gets a little grindey/repetitive/generic at points. I say...sometimes that's exactly what I want. Sure, it's not original or new or groundbreaking, but there's a reason I kept going back to Assassin's Creed games. they're simple and full of boring busywork, but they're still fun to play. They're pablum in interactive media form. It's comfort food. It's not a high-class meal, it's tasty and satisfying tripe. But I'm rambling. I should sleep.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

John2290 said:
Oh great. MC chose this game to gate of user reviews for a time, it'll be bombed out of spite now. Good idea though, a shitty solution to a shitty problem but a solution nonetheless.

Or, you know, they're trying their best to curb an issue becuase The Last of Us Part 2 is I think the worst metabombed games of all time, which was a Ps4 exclusive released just a month ago? 

Dude, context is key. Every post I see of yours lately seems to completely eschew any nuance and goes only for the broadest strokes in order to get your point across. That is a logical fallacy similar to a strawman. I think it's something like argumentum ad reductum or something. Not sure if that's a thing, but you're boiling points down to their most basic versions in order to make a point. It's bad logic and you employ it a lot. That and you seem to go overboard bemoaning progress, choosing instead to settle on regressive, traditionalist values. You are literally a part of the problem that has been stopping the rest of us from making positive change in the world becuase of your outdated, ignorant views on many things, most notably your concept of masculinity. (Referring to your recent post in the LAst of Us 2 thread where you bitched about how 'californians are trying to erase masculinity' or some ignorant bullshit)

User was banned for this comment - Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 17 July 2020

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android