By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread (MC: 83 / OC: 85)

Tagged games:

I believe the embargo lifted 1 minute ago....

Around the Network

Spoiler!
9 from IGN
Last edited by hinch - on 14 July 2020

Currently 84 with 48 reviews very close to my prediction

Awwww so close!!! I predicted 85

Hope it goes up 1 more point and stays there lol

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/ghost-of-tsushima

Around the Network

lol I was way off. A bit worried that so many seem to compare it to Assassins Creed tbh.

85 on Open Critic with 28 reviews. I'm guessing it will settle around 84-85.

Looks like a very solid game from the reviews I've seen of it so far, on YT.

Update: Still 85 on OC with 79 reviews.

Last edited by hinch - on 14 July 2020

84 current. I said 87, should have known. Thought it was a Guerilla situation where they go from Killzone to Horizon levels of improvement. Sucker Punch is a consistent mid 80s meta developer. It’s a respectable score. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

83 on Meta so far... my conservative position was gonna be a 86 but i decided to dream with a 90, seems like even my moderate estimate was off the mark.

That being said Infamous second son got like an 80 and i enjoyed it, and i don't really let review scores completely dictate my purchasing decisions so im still fully on board.

Just gonna leave this here from one of my favorite reviewers.

Last edited by estebxx - on 14 July 2020

some of these 60 metacritic scores are just baffleing...

Digitally Downloaded : "I found the moment-to-moment gameplay of Ghost of Tsushima to be excellent and massively entertaining, if a little derivative at this point in time – the open world genre as a whole does need some new ideas. Tsushima doesn’t do anything that will surprise you if you’ve played any of Sony’s other first party games in recent years, but it does it all in a way that’s as refined and sharp as a samurai’s blade, and that is fundamentally enjoyable." 6/10

Reasoning for a bad score? Wasn't american enough, didnt feel like it did "historical epic inspired by Kurosawa" well enough.
Its not supposed to be 100% fact.... its a game, its allowed to take liberties with history surely? Do they judge assasins creed by the same logic?

VGC - "Sucker Punch’s Kurosawa homage has atmosphere and sharp combat, but it's weighed down by the genre’s more perfunctory tropes."
(doesnt like open world games) so 6/10

VG247 - "It has its moments, but like Jin Sakai in the opening hours, the past holds it back. It’s Open World: The Video Game. It’s far too easy, too - the lack of consequence for failure makes it feel like you’re just going through the motions. If you’ll excuse the wind-based pun, it’s a breeze. While playing it, I often found my mind wandering. By the third and final act, I just wanted it to be over. Like the samurai, Ghost of Tsushima feels like a relic of a bygone era."

Wasnt challengeing enough for him (did he play on easy mode?), so he couldnt consentrate about the game? so 6/10.

Guardian - "Unlike Assassin’s Creed, which always uses its historical settings as stages for its own eccentric stories, Ghost of Tsushima sticks so closely to the tropes and storylines of classic samurai fiction that it sometimes forgets to have a personality of its own. After I caught myself repeatedly checking my phone out of boredom during the story missions, I decided to abandon them entirely for a while and had a great time chasing foxes, bathing in hot springs, composing deeply average haiku and climbing mountains in search of a legendary bow instead. This is the most beautiful version of Japan ever conjured in code, and when running errands and slashing Mongol spearmen to bits gets tedious, you can always just drink in the view."

hmm....