By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread (MC: 83 / OC: 85)

Tagged games:

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:
I'll be optmistic and predict 85.

@BraLoD put the scores of the Infamous series for people to have an idea of the average review of Sucker Punch.
Infamous 1 - 85, Infamous 2 - 83, Infamous Second Son - 80 and the standalone DLC First Light 73.

I don't want a completely different series to influence the prediction of this game to people, this is like the Killzone - Horizon transition, inFamous has nothing to do here xP

It is still the same dev =p

And even though I don't think it will cross over 85 it is the game I have been mostly excited about. How many days between review embargo and release? Because if it is another one week or more difference I'm willing to say it have a good shot of over 90.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

It is still the same dev =p

And even though I don't think it will cross over 85 it is the game I have been mostly excited about. How many days between review embargo and release? Because if it is another one week or more difference I'm willing to say it have a good shot of over 90.

3 days.

1 week is actually pretty rare, specially for a new IP.

It's not God of War or The Last of Us =P

Also, yeah, I've been more hyped for it than for TLoU2, I can't wait for this thing.

3 Days is still plenty for a new IP that haven't show much of its gameplay so far. Good, at least they are confident enough to not go for the only on same day or even a day after release.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
Runa216 said:
Hmmmm. I'm torn. On its own I wanna say 92-93, but comparing it to another open world new IP by a sony company trying a new genre - Horizon Zero Dawn - I'll say it'll be just a step below so I'm going with 87.

I loved inFamous and everything about this game looks great. I love Sucker Punch but I always thought they came across as a scrapped, mid-level developer compared to bigger companies like Naughty dog, Guerrilla, and Insomniac. Then again, I never saw Insomniac as a AAA developer until Spider-Man (Which is weird becuase Ratchet and Clank are some of my all-time favourite games and Spyro holds a place in my heart. Point is, they were always A or AA based on game size and budget, a middle-tier dev team with smaller-scaled but tones of fun games).

So yeah this generation we've now had three sony companies known for one genre and franchise branch out into new genres and new IPs (or at least new IPs for them). Guerrilla Games with Horizon after doing Killzone, Insomniac with Spider-Man after doing Ratchet & Clank, and now Sucker Punch with Ghost of Tsushima after doing inFamous. Also, Sony Bend with Days Gone, but that wasn't as much of a success. Not bad, but not great.

Man, Sony really is knocking it outta the park this generation. New IPs, great games, lots of variety. Can't wait for PS5! This looks like a hell of a swan song.

Horizon is exactly the same that came to my mind when thinking about it, Sucker Punch is going to elevate themselves like Guerrilla, this game is on a completely different game from their past ones, like Horizon was.

And this is not like Bend, SP has been doing good games constantly, this is their second game (plus a standalone DLC) this gen, Bend as you said came straight from the PSP days.

Shiken said:
Gonna go with 88.

I think it will both review and sell about the same as Horizon Zero Dawn, both being what look to be new quality open world IPs.

I was thinking about the 89 Horizon got and I almost picked it, but I believe GoT will be more critically acclaimed that Horizon and sell considerably less.

Samurai vs Robot Dinossaurs, the appeal is completely different.

GoT is really artsy, it looks ridiculously good and the art actually blend on the gameplay, everything about this game screams beauty, not only graphically.

Oh, I would love nothing more than to see this get Horizon: Zero Dawn hype and The Last of Us 2 reviews. I think it has potential to hit 93-94, but since Horizon only got 88, I don't see a new IP getting that high. Spider-Man also only got 89 I think, and both Horizon and Spider-Man were Game of the Year Contenders! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

My gut feel said tlous 2 was 96 opening dropping to 94 I said 95. my gut this time says 89 dropping to 86 it can't be right twice so I have decided to counter my gut by using my arse and speaking through my arse I say 88

Last edited by mjk45 - on 10 July 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

TruckOSaurus said:
I really hope it can qualify as a spiritual successor to Tenchu. Some of the gameplay previews I've seen have me hopeful. I'll go with 92 which I know is wishful thinking but I don't care.

Isn't Tenchu one of those unrealistically hard stealth games? Like Splinter Cell or Thief?

BraLoD said:

Wanna try a prediction, btw?

I could see it ranging anywhere from 78 to 93 on Opencritic. So I'll split the difference, and predict 85/100.

I'll say 82

BraLoD said:
JRPGfan said:
I honestly think it can be a 90+ rated game.
The detail and polish looks higher than typical 80's rated games to me.

We've seen gameplay, and it looks pretty damn good, so I dont expect that to get in the way.
I expect it to review well, atleasat in the high 80's if not above 90's.

Any actual prediction, tho?

90+.

88 baby