By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some TLOU2 Haters Are Nut Jobs CONFIRMED!

Can I weigh in? Oh dear GOD, can I weigh in, pleeeeeaaaase??

Most people have responded to the OP with at least some level of minimization. The campaign against this game has been by far the largest and most extreme I've seen in my entire life. I mean by a margin of like 10 to 1. It's not even close. Could this uniquely insane reaction have something to do with the fact that The Last of Us Part II happens to be the first AAA release to narratively center a lesbian character, I ask you? The thought has more than crossed my mind.

When I read these messages we're referencing, the fact is that most of them feel like they're attacks on me personally as a woman, as a lesbian, for being a woman, for being a lesbian, not just the staff. WHY do these people want Neil Druckmann and the women dead? Because..."cuck", "bitch", "twat", "radical feminist", "gay", etc. etc. (also Abby is "trans" for being gender-nonconforming), it's strikingly consistent. There is definitely a specifically anti-female/anti-gay vibe to them overwhelmingly. 

Don't get me wrong, I get that this game would be controversial even in a world without bigotry. Not ANYTHING like this though. Not like surpassing the Grand Theft Auto level of controversy by a factor of a thousand percent. Jesus fucking Christ!

The game is emotionally challenging to me (it's supposed to be). Not anything like the response though. That's been much more exhausting because it feels personal. It feels like hate most of the time to me. You can say that it's not, but it feels like it is. I'm just saying. I mean I feel like my brain is probably exaggerating the volume of actual hate there is among this game's detractors, but I can't help it. There's simply so...goddamn...much!! So I mean I'm sorry if it ever comes across like I'm lumping people in with something they're not a part of, but in this context it can be a challenge not to.

No one should be threatening anyone's life over a video game, and least of all for reasons like these. That's all.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 07 July 2020

Around the Network
Shiken said:
vonny said:

Disliking the game has nothing to do with the term "hater" don't be deliberately obtuse

To the bolded below, you clearly state here that I am grouping people who dislike the game with haters.  Also try not contradicting yourself.

vonny said:

I never said you did, show me where I said that?

You're the one which conflated Haters to equal anyone who dislike the game to devalue the issue of bat shit insane people, you yourself just said the topic is about haters not people disliking the game so why make a deflective claim "as if no one can hate the game without being a nutjob"

To the rest of your reply, I did not devalue anything nor did I conflate haters equal to just disliking the game.  You seem to be lookong for an argument that does not exist, and hurting your credibility at the same time with contradictions.  But let me spell it out for you anyway.

What's ironic is you stating someone should improve their comprehension as to be little them when the person making that statement should follow their own advice.

"The title says all LoU2 haters are nutjobs, as if no one can hate the game without being a nutjob" If you fail to see how you conflated the topic of thread that's on you pal!.

am ashamed to say it, but when i first saw the leaks, i over reacted, i was part of the hater crowd for a while, but not the extreme level of online hate. I thought agenda this, that, abby is this, neil is that, how dare the team of writers do this.. but thank God i came to my senses. When i gave it some thought, and saw how low other people got to, the level of disrespect to the naughty dog team, it broke my heart, i felt like shit. I told my self i don't want to be anything like those people hating, and that i'd give the game a chance. One of the best games i've ever played, the team out did themselves. And i actually ended up really liking Abby.

vonny said:
Shiken said:

Never said it did.  Don't be unnecessarily defensive.

"The title says all LoU2 haters are nutjobs, as if no one can hate the game without being a nutjob"

No, it didn't.

Kind of related since he is a hater, angry joe has been banned from resetera since his review and his remarks about tlou2 were considered bigoted.

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:
Kind of related since he is a hater, angry joe has been banned from resetera since his review and his remarks about tlou2 were considered bigoted.

Not surprised, he says a lot of shitty stuff. I can't point to any one example of him being bigoted in the past, but he has a lot of piss-poor takes on a lot of games so it makes sense to me that the logical progression involved bigotry. 

Plus, you know, when you get right down to it, 99% of the criticism lobbed at TLOU2 is based in bigotry of some sort. I read like 50 negative reviews on metacritic and only like 2 of them didn't have some reference to their 'SJW agenda' or 'pushing beliefs' or 'just let us play a game'. Almost all of the reviews had a problem with the elements put in the story rather than the writing or quality itself. Almost all of the criticism was about the story decisions, not the gameplay or the presentation. 

Maybe as a writer who understands the subjective nature of art a whole lot better than the average person (Seriously I went to school for Film and Television with a focus on the writing and production of said mediums so it's not hard to translate those skills to more effectively assess those same qualities in videogames; yes, this means I have qualifications to speak of the quality of ND's work), I completely respect what Naughty Dog has done. The fact that so many people are so incensed about it shows that they did their job. They have made artwork of the highest order. It makes you think. It makes you feel. It might not be a feeling you like, but in igniting the conversation, they unequivocally succeeded. 

The abuse and harassment is not okay. MOST of the discourse is rooted in bigotry and anti-sjw agendas, but the few other criticisms of the game and the discussion erupting around the game is good. And sales and reviews make it clear that this is going to be a rightly successful game. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Wrong info, ignore.

Last edited by EnricoPallazzo - on 07 July 2020

padib said:
LivingMetal said:

No, it didn't.

Something's definitely wrong with the title, and pretty much the whole situation. The title's ambiguous by saying that "Haters are nut jobs CONFIRMED", because it reads as if anyone that dislikes the game is a hater, and all haters are crazy.

This issue with TLOU2 highlighted the following problems:

• It is currently impossible to criticize the game without being personally attacked or called a hater.
  • It is currently impossible to worry about the bashing of the white male "patriarchal" figure without being called a bigot.
  • It is currently impossible to tell people that bigotry, on all sides, is unacceptable, and be believed, because only bigotry on one side nowadays is untolerable. In other words, if I say that I am not happy with how the patriarchy is being portrayed in movies, I automatically become a bigot, but if someone says that they are not happy with how people are negatively reacting to feminism, homosexuality and transgenderism in media, by saying that it's arguably forced and not natural to the characters and plot and alters the characters from their original form, then that's okay (Examples in Star Wars, Ghostbusters and possibly TLOU2). Double-standards are not right.
  • It is currently impossible to have a personal opinion without being attacked, or being shamed for it.
  • It is almost currently impossible to have a reasonable dialogue on the matter because people are so personally involved in all of it.

What's the solution?

• We stop bullying each other, insulting each other, and hating each other.
  • We start listening to each other, for once.
  • We give the benefit of the doubt and allow people to explain themselves without vilifying them.
  • We understand that people are different, have different lifestyles and those need to be respected. That includes homosexuality, conservativism, religion, feminism, patriarchy, progressivism, and everything in between.
  • We start respecting that everyone has their own opinion, and unless they are intentionally trying to hurt others (on all sides!), then people have a right to their thoughts, and to express them, just like you are free to express yours.
  • We stop trying to fit everyone into our mold, as if it is the only right way to see the world.
  • We start trying to actually build a community together where we can be different from the rest, and foster dialogue.
  • We start caring for each other, our personal issues and testimonies about things that actually bothered us in the past.
  • We learn to use some discernment and read into subtleties, such as the difference between being critical of something and hating it.
  • We use logic and sensibility, in order to all become better and smarter.
  • We take a moment before we post to make sure we are in a good head-space and are fostering the right attitude.

If we don't, we will just perpetuate the cycle of hatred just like everyone else does and we all clearly don't want that.

While I agree 100% with you, it is just too late for it. Society will get more and more separated in two until it culminates with a civil war, be it a hot or cold war.

Leynos said:
It's just a minority of people. Plenty of people who dislike TLOU are not like this. Me. Just often the minority who act like this is the loudest. I dislike TLOU as I don't feel it challenges anything. I dislike Duckman for various reasons for him being a creep. Pretentious. Petty. Not a fan of TLOU as it's nowhere near as good as people say it is. Not a fan of the cult-like following ND has. Extremists exist on both sides and both need to stop. Sure I may dislike TLOU but I'd never do this kinda stuff. Then there are people who enjoy TLOU but don't act like it's gods gift to gaming either. However, this is too far. Way too far. Fandoms often just go too far one way or the other and it's dumb.

I despise what they have done with Star Trek with Kurtzman. I mean I really hate the new Trek. I never once sent him a death threat. Never wished him death or any harm. I only wished he didn't have anything to do with Trek. However, it is a TV show and I will live. If people who are fans of TLOU and do not like the direction. Well sucks for you but if you have not noticed. Worse things in the world esp now and no form of entertainment is worth sending death threats or such hateful speech.

I was a bit shocked to see just mobs of people going against those that found negatives in the games and vice versa.

Well yeah i have seen this kind of behaviour before but not in such a magnitude over a game and even on this forum,my comments got liked when i was still defending the game after the leaks but whenever i commented what i personally did not like about the writing(when i had seen the full story for myself) those same people that liked my comments previously got upset.

Thread title could be: TLOU2 fandom has Nut Jobs CONFIRMED. Would be more fitting,and there are tons of things to not like about the game and tons of things to like and those all have different weights depending on the person playing the game.

Yeah, the internet is a place full of nut-jobs. Things like this happen, unfortunately, very often.

But I can already see how this will be used as an excuse to deflect any legitimate criticism. In fact, it's already happening.

Last edited by freebs2 - on 07 July 2020