By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some TLOU2 Haters Are Nut Jobs CONFIRMED!

KratosLives said:
d21lewis said:
Nut job or not, I kinda feel like it would have been better if we'd never even gotten this game. It should have been "One and done" in my opinion.

Take it as you will, I admit that Sony isn't my favorite company but I love good games and TLoU was a good/great game. With TLoU 2, it started off slowly. Then things ramped up. I said to myself "This is about to get good!" and for a while, it did. Outsmarting the AI was thrilling and fun. But now, on "Day 3", that's worn kinda thin. The story kinda sucks. The characters aren't likeable, and I just want it to end. I don't even care about spoilers anymore.

Yes there was no need for a sequel, but I am glad we got it and it could have only gone in such a direction. I am thankful for the amazing gameplay, music, scenes of so and so we know, and abby and .., gameplay.  

Yeah, outsmarting the AI was some of the most fun I've had in a game. They just did it so much that it became routine. It reaches a point where I started saying "Why the fuck are you randomly walking around, random person!?" (I know why, btw).

And in defense of the game, I made my post roughly ONE MINUTE before the moment that probably pissed off 90% of the haters. I kinda like the twist. I still want the game to end-- I thought it was pretty much over before "it" happened. I'm willing to hold off until the credits roll before posting again.

I want this game to be good/great. I have avoided every single trailer, review, and thread prior to release because I want everything fresh. If I post something, it's coming from the heart and it's my personal opinion. I haven't even read this thread aside from a couple of posts that my mind "auto read" at a glance. I'll be back when I'm done with the game unless someone quotes me.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
KratosLives said:

Yes there was no need for a sequel, but I am glad we got it and it could have only gone in such a direction. I am thankful for the amazing gameplay, music, scenes of so and so we know, and abby and .., gameplay.  

Yeah, outsmarting the AI was some of the most fun I've had in a game. They just did it so much that it became routine. It reaches a point where I started saying "Why the fuck are you randomly walking around, random person!?" (I know why, btw).

And in defense of the game, I made my post roughly ONE MINUTE before the moment that probably pissed off 90% of the haters. I kinda like the twist. I still want the game to end-- I thought it was pretty much over before "it" happened. I'm willing to hold off until the credits roll before posting again.

I want this game to be good/great. I have avoided every single trailer, review, and thread prior to release because I want everything fresh. If I post something, it's coming from the heart and it's my personal opinion. I haven't even read this thread aside from a couple of posts that my mind "auto read" at a glance. I'll be back when I'm done with the game unless someone quotes me.

The beauty about the AI and the gameplay is the different approaches you can take with the game.  Trust me when I say this, the game truly becomes alive and at it's best when you approach it on the hardest difficulty. The thrill you will get, the tense excitemnt and the more advanced AI that takes place, when you overcomes the challenge is just the best. It becomes a new game.

KratosLives said:
d21lewis said:

The beauty about the AI and the gameplay is the different approaches you can take with the game.  Trust me when I say this, the game truly becomes alive and at it's best when you approach it on the hardest difficulty. The thrill you will get, the tense excitemnt and the more advanced AI that takes place, when you overcomes the challenge is just the best. It becomes a new game.

I think I'm just playing on normal. I'll give it another try in a year or two after I've forgotten a lot. Even now, I think the ai is pretty great but I can tell they're trying to turn their back to me on purpose to make things easier on me.

I would like to have had something more like Hitman where the NPCs are living a kinda normal life until you do something to raise their attention. In TLoU2, it usually feels like they go from kinda looking for... somebody to REALLY looking for somebody, and that's it. I did like the one girl just playing her Vita. She felt like more than just "cannon fodder". More stuff like that would have been welcomed.

Dulfite said:
This thread sounds like it went the way I figured it would. I do not enjoy games or movies that push political messages of any kind. I want to ESCAPE the stresses and drama of real life when I play games.

This is why I generally play Nintendo games. No one can take anything politically serious about a short, fat Italian plumber saving a tall Aryan princess from a freaking Alligator Snapping Turtle, while eating mushrooms to get powered up. It's glorious, relaxing, and pure escapism haha.

Well I could ruin your day by pointing out that there are some pretty clear gender roles (i.e. politics, if you will) to most installments of the Super Mario franchise. And yeah, I did wind up noticing the consistency of those gender roles in video games as a kid (nearly all video games back then required me to see myself through the lens of a guy and damsel in distress scenarios were used in many if not most adventure video games (or else the game might just simply not feature any female characters at all, like with most of the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games)), and it did come to make me feel weird, like maybe I shouldn't be playing video games because they're not meant for me. I mean surely it was called the Game Boy for a reason. I ultimately powered through that sentiment but many girls my age didn't and by high school I was the only remaining female gamer my age that I knew of. But I get the idea that you're at least trying to communicate here anyway

When I was a kid, I would sometimes fast-forward movies to skip the "boring" dialogue and get right to the action parts that I really wanted to see. Then I matured out of that mindset because I started finding stories I cared about; stories that spoke to me. That's what I'm reminded of when I see arguments like the above made. They strike me as childish. One needn't like this game's story or anything, but to write off the whole concept of storytelling in games? Pssh. I can't take that reaction seriously. I suspect you just haven't found the right kind of narrative for you yet. I guarantee you there's something out there that will speak to you if you find it.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 11 July 2020

Immersiveunreality said:
Jaicee said:

Okay. First of all, I'm sorry about lashing out the other day. My Facebook wall is an absolute nightmare to even look at right now over this game and I guarantee you it's coming from one direction pretty exclusively. I'm also tired of, for months and months now, just wanting to catch more stuff about TLOU2 on YouTube, more info (at earlier points), interviews, theories, that sort of thing, and being recommended nothing but insufferably petty grievance videos with titles like "Joel Deserved Better" and "Is TLOU2 a Masterpiece? ABSOLUTELY NOT!" and a bunch of ludicrous, Gamergate-style conspiracy videos about how Anita Saarkesian really made this game, how Laura Bailey supposedly had sex with Druckmann, how Sony absolutely paid off the critics, and other "legitimate criticisms" like that. So you'll forgive me if my temper seems short. I'm absolutely sick and tired of this! I'm sick and tired of EVERYTHING being turned into a "Did you vote for Trump or Crooked Killary?" culture war, and let's face it, that's exactly what this is. At this point I wish this game were never even made because, for as much as I've loved it, it's existence isn't worth the real-world social consequences. *sigh* Anyway, looking back, I overreacted. I was trying to apologize just there, but I think that might've gotten lost somewhere along the way.

So anyway, you say that I "minimize[d] the issue on the other side". Let's look back to your preceding reply to me to see what "issue on the other side" you're referring to. Here it is, quote:

"...Between people being banned from forums for voicing a negative opinion about the game, to journalists like Jason Schreier being shamed on twitter, to users on vgchartz having to endure the typical witch hunt, the only conclusion is that people are not allowed to say things against the game."

I'll highlight the "users on vgchartz having to endure the typical witch hunt" part in particular because it stands out here as symptomatic of a persecution complex. I offered a 19-paragraph commentary on the game not too long ago that included several paragraphs of criticisms. I was not banned or attacked, but up-voted by six people as a result. In fact, there is an *official* VG Chartz review of the game up now scoring it a mere 7 out of 10, which is much lower than most other professional reviews. Or just look at the average level of up-votes you see on this thread. Who gets more on average: supporters of this game or detractors? The latter, by a margin of like 2 to 1. You are NOT being marginalized and persecuted here on VG Chartz! The fact that you believe you are shows how warped your perspective is. You literally don't know what marginalization is.

I find that I'm permitted to voice a number of opinions openly here on VGC that have gotten whole subreddits closed of late. I don't feel that this is an unreasonably restrictive place. To that end, I strongly suspect that anyone who may have been banned in connection to comments about this game on the forums (I haven't been following that to know, I'm afraid) proooooobably was banned for something much more than just whether they liked or didn't like The Last of Us Part II.

Point being: Unless we're specifically talking about the board policies of ResetEra, which is a place that I don't join precisely because I feel like I wouldn't make it 24 hours there without being permabanned anyway owing to their ludicrous volume of rules, I'm just not seeing any real case here for 'TLOU2 haters are being persecuted off the internetz!', considering that they pretty much ARE the internetz. There is a real social censorship problem out there. I hear you on that. Your treatment/pedestal here ain't it though. There IS, however, a very, very real toxicity (and in particular, misogyny) problem going on around this game that comes pretty much exclusively from one direction.

Yeah when we start venting here about all the drama we see on social media we often target those that mostly take a softer approach so reactions from both sides here are understandable aaaaaand a tiny bit misdirected but everyone does it and we mostly acknowledge afterwards.(that's the important part!)

I stay far away from facebook as it became a platform for a lot of selfobsessed people,was one of the first creating an account when facebook started like 14 or 13 years ago but i deleted it few years in.Twitter is amongst the same kind of shit but even easier to be antisocial,in good and bad ways.

Have you tried to take a step back from all the social media bs when you feel like it is getting too much?

i can almost feel your stress and mental health i so important.

I do take take social media breaks and yeah, you're right, it is important for my mental health to do so. There's a part of me (the dominant part) that wishes the internet was never conceived of in the first place, to tell you the truth. But then something like this pandemic happens. And also, the social medias are a reality today whether I participate or not and I don't really have friend-friends right now outside of those avenues, so there's both good and bad involved in leaving them.

Around the Network

Off topic: Can we all agree that people who post insults and death threats to voice actors of fictional video game characters should be held accountable for their shit? This is a very dumb, childish and ugly behaviour and this needs to stop right now.

Jaicee said:
Dulfite said:
This thread sounds like it went the way I figured it would. I do not enjoy games or movies that push political messages of any kind. I want to ESCAPE the stresses and drama of real life when I play games.

This is why I generally play Nintendo games. No one can take anything politically serious about a short, fat Italian plumber saving a tall Aryan princess from a freaking Alligator Snapping Turtle, while eating mushrooms to get powered up. It's glorious, relaxing, and pure escapism haha.

Well I could ruin your day by pointing out that there are some pretty clear gender roles (i.e. politics, if you will) to most installments of the Super Mario franchise. And yeah, I did wind up noticing the consistently of those gender roles in video games as a kid (nearly all video games back then required me to see myself through the lens of a guy and damsel in distress scenarios were used in many if not most adventure video games (or else the game might just simply not feature any female characters at all, like with most of the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games)), and it did come to make me feel weird, like maybe I shouldn't be playing video games because they're not meant for me. I mean surely it was called the Game Boy for a reason. I ultimately powered through that sentiment but many girls my age didn't and by high school I was the only remaining female gamer my age that I knew of. But I get the idea that you're at least trying to communicate here anyway

When I was a kid, I would sometimes fast-forward movies to skip the "boring" dialogue and get right to the action parts that I really wanted to see. Then I matured out of that mindset because I started finding stories I cared about; stories that spoke to me. That's what I'm reminded of when I see arguments like the above made. They strike me as childish. One needn't like this game's story or anything, but to write off the whole concept of storytelling in games? Pssh. I can't take that reaction seriously. I suspect you just haven't found the right kind of narrative for you yet. I guarantee you there's something out there that will speak to you if you find it.

No need to call my perspective childish. State your disagreement with it in a respectful way, please.

As to your point, there have been exceptions to my mindset of gaming for sure over the years. I was just stating my general view that I enjoy escaping life's stresses in world's I can't take seriously. But I do love a good story, though I prefer books for that. I read a LOT of books.

Jaicee said:
Dulfite said:

Well I could ruin your day by pointing out that there are some pretty clear gender roles (i.e. politics, if you will) to most installments of the Super Mario franchise. And yeah, I did wind up noticing the consistently of those gender roles in video games as a kid (nearly all video games back then required me to see myself through the lens of a guy and damsel in distress scenarios were used in many if not most adventure video games (or else the game might just simply not feature any female characters at all, like with most of the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games)), and it did come to make me feel weird, like maybe I shouldn't be playing video games because they're not meant for me. I mean surely it was called the Game Boy for a reason. I ultimately powered through that sentiment but many girls my age didn't and by high school I was the only remaining female gamer my age that I knew of. But I get the idea that you're at least trying to communicate here anyway

Exactly. Pretty much all games have some sort of message or inherently political slant to them. Obviously Mario was less 'gender politics' and more 'traditional' for the sake of simplicity, but if you look deep enough pretty much all games that actually have characters in them have some sort of political lean to them. Might not be intentional, might not be overt, but it all matters on how deep you're willing to look into it. 

What Dulfite was more or less saying is less 'I play games to escape politics' and more 'I prefer it when the politics in a game don't make me feel or think about it'. Which, when further translated, speaks the message that he just doesn't like playing games that have an SJW agenda. (Obviously there's a bit of extrapolation, but it's in line with pretty much everything else in this thread I've seen and read. A bunch of privileged people complaining when something questions the status quo).

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Jaicee said:

Exactly. Pretty much all games have some sort of message or inherently political slant to them. Obviously Mario was less 'gender politics' and more 'traditional' for the sake of simplicity, but if you look deep enough pretty much all games that actually have characters in them have some sort of political lean to them. Might not be intentional, might not be overt, but it all matters on how deep you're willing to look into it. 

What Dulfite was more or less saying is less 'I play games to escape politics' and more 'I prefer it when the politics in a game don't make me feel or think about it'. Which, when further translated, speaks the message that he just doesn't like playing games that have an SJW agenda. (Obviously there's a bit of extrapolation, but it's in line with pretty much everything else in this thread I've seen and read. A bunch of privileged people complaining when something questions the status quo).

Ah yes, limit me to a privileged person that can have no valid opinion. Oh I'm a white male, by the way, do I lose more points now?

And by the way, I grew up with two very UNPRIVILEGED parents. Both had lower class or lower middle class jobs. Both were let go when my older brother and I were babies. My mom took us to the mall to shop to give us the illusion that we were okay financially, and would just not buy things for us. You cannot claim I grew up privileged or my family. My mother got harassed in the street as a child growing up in the City all the time. My grandpa was a butcher for 38 years after serving in the Korean war. Not one of my parents or grandparents were wealthy, or even decently middle classes, until my parents got close to retirement age. Why do people assume someone is privileged just because they have a thought that may differ with theirs? You don't know me, my family, or anything we've dealt with.

Woke person: I'm going to think what I want! Hurray for free speech!

Non woke person: Hey, good for you! I'm also going to think what I want even though we may differ in opinion. Hurray for free speech!

Woke person: You suck for your views!

Last edited by Dulfite - on 11 July 2020

I didn't like TLOU 2 but I am not a hater , this game didn't deserve this hate