By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Users: Show Me Your POWAH! Summer 2020

I normally just lurk but, couldn't resist this thread.
Case: Corsair 780T
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ
GPU: 3080 FE
CPU: 8700k at 4.8
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15S
Storage: 500gb 850 EVO, 500gb WD SN750 and 1tb WD SN750
Memory: 32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz
Displays: Acer Predator XB271HU, LG 27UD58-B and Asus VE247H(I'll fix this eventually.)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558
Speakers: Logitech Z906

Around the Network

Since 2006 I had the same PC with DVD-drive and even a floppy disk drive.

Here is a 2007 picture of it:

Okay, the internal changed a bit since then (2013 upgrade of mainboard, CPU and RAM, a SSD upgrade and a few GPU upgrades over the years), but that black PC case was a constant in my living room for almost 15 years while most other stuff was replaced over the years several times (TVs, projectors, consoles, AV receivers, speakers, furniture, wallpapers,...)

The new PC case is (again) a black midi tower without RGB lightshow... once you go black, you never go back:

For a better airflow, putting stuff on top of the case ain't an option anymore... but the dust sieve on top of the upper fans is a good idea:

On the back side there is a small RGB compromise, but from all other directions, the lighting still looks subtle:

For the next days my old PC stays in the room (it just moved a meter to the right and I connected it to my good old 1200p Dell 2407) until all data transfers are finished and I prepared a Windows setup for my brother. That gift will be a huge upgrade to his current PC (dual core, GTX 650 Ti).

Specs of my new PC:

• PC case: Fractal Meshify C
  • power supply: Enermaxx MaxTytan 800W
  • mainboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz
  • RAM: 32 GB DDR4
  • GPU: ASUS TUF 3070 OC Gaming
  • SSD 1: Corsair Force MP600 SSD 1 TB (for the OS + a few games)
  • StoreMI: an old 120 GB-SATA-SSD (to cache HDD data)
  • HDD: WD Red 14 TB
  • two external MyBook Duos (Raid 0)

Copying games from the external HDDs only takes a few minutes due to transfer speeds of 300 - 400 MB/s, so I'll settle for now with 1 TB SSD space. But knowing me, it won't take long until I buy another M2.SSD.

The PC is connected to my 1440p-monitor (G-Sync up to 165 Hz) and 4K-OLED-TV (G-Sync-compatible up to 120 Hz), so I can Switch between small screen and big screen quite easy.

I also reconnected my Oculus Rift which always brought the USB-capabilities of my old PC to its limit and the connections were often fragile.

Next month my preordered HP Reverb G2 should finally arrive... with a lot less cables thanks to inside-out-tracking.

Last edited by Conina - on 09 November 2020

A somewhat old pic (like a week ago or so) - I did clean up a bit but almost the same.

-Gaming Laptop (2014) - mainly used as a means to web surf
-Gaming Desktop (2019) - bought it last Black Friday, AMD RX 580 8GB, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 3600, 2 TB HDD and 240 GB SSD
-Nintendo Switch (2020)
-Nintendo WiiU (2014) - not shown but it is under the Switch closed doors
-Playstation 4 (2015)
-Playstation 3 (2011) - not shown but is under the PS4 closed doors
-Nintendo DS Lite (2007) - not shown but is under the Nintendo WiiU closed doors
-Nintendo 3DS XL (2013) - not shown but is under the Nintendo WiiU closed doors
-Playstation Portable (2005) - not shown but is under the PS3 closed doors
-Dualshock 3
-Dualshock 4 Black (for PS4)
-Dualshock 4 Gold (for PC)
-Switch Pro Controller - not shown cause I only just got it yesterday
-HDMI Switcher - due to having so many devices
-Two 15 ft USB extension cables for my Dualshock 4 for PC and my wired mouse/keyboard combo since I prefer playing wired over wireless.
-75'' Sony x900F 4K TV

Last edited by BasilZero - on 27 November 2020

Basil's YouTube Channel

I added a "gaming chair" to my setup thanks to Black Friday sales.

It's very comfortable in all positions (upright for mouse+keyboard gaming), more lean back for gamepad gaming:

Wow those rigs are impressive. And here I am thinking about moving from console to PC but with a £700 budget only...

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

After finally getting my new parts all installed and ready to go (save for an additional graphics card), I thought it's been a while since I made one of these threads and want to see what everyone is working with these days! So, let's have it! Drop a pic, or two, in here with system specs and also if you plan to make any adjustments to your stuff in time for the next gen consoles (I'll be upgrading my CPU before year's end, for example).

SKYLAKE-RTX (as I call it):

• CPU: Intel Core-i9 7920X @2.9GHz (4.4 Turbo)
  • GPU: NVIDIA TITAN RTX (second one in July)
  • RAM: 128GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz
  • Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix-E Gaming II
  • PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Maker 1500
  • Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (3500 Read, 3300 Write) x 2
  • Case: Cooler Master H500M
  • Cooling (CPU only):  Cosair H90 Liquid Cooler

Your turn! Let's see those slick builds!

Sorry I really have to ask... is this only for gaming? That's a lot of money...

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 28 November 2020

EnricoPallazzo said:
CGI-Quality said:

After finally getting my new parts all installed and ready to go (save for an additional graphics card), I thought it's been a while since I made one of these threads and want to see what everyone is working with these days! So, let's have it! Drop a pic, or two, in here with system specs and also if you plan to make any adjustments to your stuff in time for the next gen consoles (I'll be upgrading my CPU before year's end, for example).

SKYLAKE-RTX (as I call it):

• CPU: Intel Core-i9 7920X @2.9GHz (4.4 Turbo)
  • GPU: NVIDIA TITAN RTX (second one in July)
  • RAM: 128GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz
  • Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix-E Gaming II
  • PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Maker 1500
  • Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (3500 Read, 3300 Write) x 2
  • Case: Cooler Master H500M
  • Cooling (CPU only):  Cosair H90 Liquid Cooler

Your turn! Let's see those slick builds!

Sorry I really have to ask... is this only for gaming? That's a lot of money...

Nope. I'm a Commision-Hobby based 3D Designer and do a lot of physics related work (also allowing colleagues/friends to use my rig for their work).

This year I built a budget mini-pc dedicated to retro gaming, just for emulation using LaunchBox/BigBox and RetroArch.
It has not much horse-power, about PS4 performance level at an estimated 1.9Tflops, but it's in a very tiny build!

It works great (with a very little tweaking) out of the box and it is connected to a 65" 4K TV.

MiniPC specs:

APU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (4 cores / 8 threads @3.7Ghz) with iGPU RX Vega11 (11 cores @1400Mhz) - €135
RAM: 8Gbyte DDR4 @2933Mhz - €70
Disk: 1x SSD (1Tbyte) - €90
Mini Barebone: AsRock Deskmini A300 (MB Asrock a300, integrated Realtek HD soundboard, stock cooler) (No overclocking possible) - €140
Total cost: about €435 (less then $400)

It runs games from Atari 2600 up to the Arcades, PSX, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast and PSP at fullspeed.
At native resolution works well also for PS2, Gamecube and Wii games emulation.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 28 November 2020

Conina said:

It's very comfortable in all positions (upright for mouse+keyboard gaming), more lean back for gamepad gaming:

That looks great, how much is that?

I've been meaning to get a replacement chair for my general PC chair (the one I use to do surfing mainly, editing, paper work, typing, etc)

Basil's YouTube Channel

BasilZero said:
Conina said:

That looks great, how much is that?

I've been meaning to get a replacement chair for my general PC chair (the one I use to do surfing mainly, editing, paper work, typing, etc)

normal price €180 - €200

on Black Friday sale I got it for €131 (shipping & taxes included)