By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NSW is here to Stay!! It’s Life Will Be Long and No Successor Will Come Before 2025!

When will NSW2 come out?

2022 Holiday 15 11.19%

2023 Spring 19 14.18%

2023 Holiday 25 18.66%

2024 Spring 38 28.36%

2024 Holiday 23 17.16%

2025 Spring 10 7.46%

2025 Holiday 3 2.24%

2026+ 1 0.75%

Total:134
HyrulianScrolls said:
I have been hypothesizing lately that Nintendo may just ride out this entire next gen with Switch rather than put themselves in a weird mid gen cycle again, and after how the Switch is selling I think it’s very possible. If that’s the case, we probably wouldn’t get the successor until something like q4 in 2026 (assuming ps6 and Xbox come in 2027, same 7 year span as last gen).

On the contrary, I think mid-gen releases are perfect for Nintendo with the hardware they're pushing. A 2024 or later launch gives enough time for the mobile technology to catch up, so that the next Switch will once again be able to run modern AAA games to a decent degree. Maybe even better with what they've learned already.

Nintendo not being reliant on AAA games means having them ported a year or two later isn't a big deal. They'll still find a nice market just like they are right now on Switch. But it's important Nintendo still try to support that market too.

Around the Network

Switch 2 will arrive by holiday 2022 and maybe even holiday next year.

It will not replace Switch 1.

It will replace the concept of a Switch Pro, it will have it's own exclusives from third parties but Nintendo will enforce cross gen internally for 2 years for most titles.

They will make more money and secure a safer future then they ever could by just relying on the Switch alone until 2025 lmao. We really think after all these hardware inconsistencies Nintendo wants another hard reset, and at a point where they will be at their least relevant? 

Imagine Nintendo waiting until their ONLY hardware falls to 10m sales? You really think after these heights they are going to wait until they are surviving off crums & dying software sales

$399 (2TFlop/250GB flash memory/720p-1080p focus/DLSS upscaling)

Who waits to replace their console 5 years after peak? I feel like quarantine has warped your perception of time.

Anyway next system will be iterative & non cannabolising, whereas "Switch" 3 will involve new concepts and arrive end of the decade.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk ^_^

Last edited by Otter - on 24 June 2020

RolStoppable said:
Shaunodon said:

It's easy to identify people who didn't own a PS4 during year one (or two), or at least aren't honest about it.

"Right Now, There Are No Defining PS4 Exclusives...

Of all the reasons to be dissuaded from buying a PS4 right now, the scarcity of an essential game is the most convincing. Most of the PS4's third-party games can be found on Xbox One, although the tremendously terrifying P.T. is a notable exception. Microsoft's next-gen system also edges ahead in terms of exclusive titles, particularly with the likes of Forza Horizon 2 and Titanfall (though the latter's exclusivity extends across all Microsoft platforms). Meanwhile, the Wii U is in a different league when it comes to essential games (although Nintendo's console has major problems with its third-party line-up).

The Last of Us Remastered might swing it for you, but Sony's first-party studios have generally created somewhat underwhelming PS4 games so far, none of which carry long-lasting appeal."

"PS4 is an Indie Games Haven"

Meanwhile the first year for Switch was one of the most stacked in console history. Puzzles me how you keep managing to lose perspective of that. And yet here you are, still doomsaying about the software slump for this calender year, when we're only halfway through with an already record-breaking new release, and still no idea what Nintendo has planned for the holidays.

It's crazy curl, that's how. I've been considering to compile a Google doc with posts of crazy curl, but I was too worried that the few GB of free cloud storage would fill up within a month. crazy curl keeps getting things wrong, but it never stops him from popping up again. It's not just that crazy curl doesn't learn, it's that he doesn't want to learn.

Just as an example, earlier this year he was super worried about Switch sales because of COVID-19.

"People can't buy Switch consoles if they can't leave their house." - I tell him that online retailers exist.

"But people won't buy Switch consoles because they have to worry about COVID-19." - I tell him that people need something to spend their time on when they are facing increased time at home.

"I refuse to believe that Nintendo can do well in 2020." - I remind him how often he has been wrong with his paranoia in the past, but he doesn't care.

And thus the cycle repeats and repeats and repeats.

It's not uncommon for people to want things to look forward to. For Switch to maintain these kind of sales, they need to maintain its relevancy - with upcoming games.  I don't buy the fact that Covid had completely messed with Nintendo's plans, as said by others, other companies haven't seemed to be negatively impacted that much... The next gen is still coming this year. Sony just had a massive presentation. After Paper Mario, Nintendo should really start making more announcements/have an actual Direct again.

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
RolStoppable said:

It's crazy curl, that's how. I've been considering to compile a Google doc with posts of crazy curl, but I was too worried that the few GB of free cloud storage would fill up within a month. crazy curl keeps getting things wrong, but it never stops him from popping up again. It's not just that crazy curl doesn't learn, it's that he doesn't want to learn.

Just as an example, earlier this year he was super worried about Switch sales because of COVID-19.

"People can't buy Switch consoles if they can't leave their house." - I tell him that online retailers exist.

"But people won't buy Switch consoles because they have to worry about COVID-19." - I tell him that people need something to spend their time on when they are facing increased time at home.

"I refuse to believe that Nintendo can do well in 2020." - I remind him how often he has been wrong with his paranoia in the past, but he doesn't care.

And thus the cycle repeats and repeats and repeats.

It's not uncommon for people to want things to look forward to. For Switch to maintain these kind of sales, they need to maintain its relevancy - with upcoming games.  I don't buy the fact that Covid had completely messed with Nintendo's plans, as said by others, other companies haven't seemed to be negatively impacted that much... The next gen is still coming this year. Sony just had a massive presentation. After Paper Mario, Nintendo should really start making more announcements/have an actual Direct again.

Smash just had a character reveal and it shows how COVID19 is affecting them. Sony/MS releasing their consoles on track and showing off a lot of games doesn’t mean they weren’t impacted. Games that will follow afterwards are the ones more being delayed.

A good example of what I’m saying is television , shows and movies are still being released now but does that mean they aren’t effected? Of course not. Movies were already in production and being made. You’ll see a notable decline in releases starting probably end of 2020 or beginning of 2021.

most of the games shown were probably already done or close to completion. That said yes we all want Nintendo to show us what’s in store for the rest of the year. I don’t disagree with that. I’m just saying they are the most infamous ones to show a big game and suddenly release it shorty after. RFA did it in less than a month and paper Mario in 2 months 

I would say spring or holiday 2023 for a Switch successor. As others have pointed out, Switch 2 will not hard-reset what have been done with the current model, it need to be backward compatible and share the games library. When Switch 2 is released, the current model will still be supported for several years to come, as for the 3DS.

Speaking of the no-new-games situation... Actually the Switch is my favorite Nintendo console since the SNES, but last game I played on it was Link's Awakening and some good indie games in January/February.. I'm not a fan of Pokemon or Animal Crossing, and not much interested in the recently released third-party ports/remasters.

I'm still waiting for announcements by Nintendo, at least to just know if there will be something for me to play by the end of the year.. or not.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 24 June 2020

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:

I take it you missed FFVIIR, TLOU2, GOT and Cyber Punk 2077 all being delayed with some games more than once.

tbone51 said:

My prediction and better estimate with FY being higher and a small decline in 2022 FY.

NSW

FY1 2.74mil (launch)

FY2 15.05mil

FY3 16.95mil

FY4 21.03mil

FY5 23.50mil (stock almost on store shelves)

FY6 19.00mil -19%YoY (new model/more aggressive deals)

FY7 14.25mil -25%YoY

FY8 10.50mil -25%YoY

FY9 7.50mil -30%YoY

This looks probable I think. But I think a Spring 2024 Switch 2 launch is most likely and Switch sales die off quickly after that, so that FY9 will drop off I think to like 3mil instead of 7.5mil. But through FY8 I feel like you're pretty much dead on, I might adjust FY5 - FY8 down by a total of like 1 or 2 million but that's about it.

A 2022 launch for successor is just a completely absurd idea at this point. 2023 is a bit early as well. At absolute earliest Nintendo might release it holiday 2023. But Spring 2024 feels just right. Holiday 2023 might be a Pokemon game as the last major first party title for Switch, and lots of discounts to close out the Switch with a great final holiday, as people look forward to the Switch 2 a few months later. Any longer than that feels like it would probably be dragging on. By 2024 it'd probably be a very weak year for Switch if they tried to keep it going all the way until the holidays before a successor launches.

I'd say like 60% chance of spring 2024 launch, 35% holiday 2023, 4% holiday 2024, 1% spring 2023.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 24 June 2020

If they capitalize on their momentum in the first half of the year, Switch's 2020 sales total could be one of the highest for any game system ever.

Unfortunately, they are currently showing no sign at all of doing so. 

HyrulianScrolls said:
I have been hypothesizing lately that Nintendo may just ride out this entire next gen with Switch rather than put themselves in a weird mid gen cycle again, and after how the Switch is selling I think it’s very possible. If that’s the case, we probably wouldn’t get the successor until something like q4 in 2026 (assuming ps6 and Xbox come in 2027, same 7 year span as last gen).

So you are the one person who voted 2026+

With a correct handling I definitely see them reaching a 8-9 year lifespan. It all depends on how they move regarding revisions and upgrades. In certain point they should promote hardcore Switch users to upgrade but they should keep supporting older Switch versions with First Party games, so less "hardcore" users may have the option of keep playing Nintendo games.