By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NSW is here to Stay!! It’s Life Will Be Long and No Successor Will Come Before 2025!

When will NSW2 come out?

2022 Holiday 15 11.19%

2023 Spring 19 14.18%

2023 Holiday 25 18.66%

2024 Spring 38 28.36%

2024 Holiday 23 17.16%

2025 Spring 10 7.46%

2025 Holiday 3 2.24%

2026+ 1 0.75%

Total:134
Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

BOTW would be impossible on Wii, 3DS, or any Nintendo hardware before Wii U. 

In top down perspective?

What about 3D with lots of loading times?

That's not the same game, merely a simplified approximation.

No Nintendo system before Wii U could handle the physics processing.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

In top down perspective?

If that means Magnesis gets dropped, good.

It could have been done on older HW. It might have been 2.5D or a series of Eventide Islands at lower res instead of one open world, either would be better than Skyward Sword.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

If that means Magnesis gets dropped, good.

It could have been done on older HW. It might have been 2.5D or a series of Eventide Islands at lower res instead of one open world, either would be better than Skyward Sword.

Changing and simplifying it for older HW would mean it would no longer be BOTW, it would be a different game without the complex and dynamic world that earned BOTW its status as an instant classic.

All of you are wrong. Every last one of you. It's laughable how you all are arguing when everybody is wrong. Even I'm wrong.

/Thread

Pyro as Bill said:
tbone51 said:

Nah way more, a holiday release would sell thru well over 10mil and legs would be much stronger 

A new Mario Kart could singlehandedly keep Switch alive for 3-5 extra years (like it did with WiiU).

That’s why I think NSW will have a new MK in 2021, perfect way to keep near 20mil figures for years to come ;)

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
tbone51 said:

Nah way more, a holiday release would sell thru well over 10mil and legs would be much stronger 

A new Mario Kart could singlehandedly keep Switch alive for 3-5 extra years (like it did with WiiU).

This is assuming that their are millions upon millions of people who would be enticed by MK9 but are not enticed by MK8? Why would that be?

Its potentially the same reason why TLOU2 had a smaller hardware boost for PS4 compared to something like Final Fantasy VIIR. Hardware sellers are about convincing people who haven't already been convinced. This is why I think people grossly overestimated the value of most evergreen sequels ability to extend a platforms life. Nintendo could just keep marketing Mario Kart 8 for the next few years and i imagine it would have near enough the same effect on hardware as selling a new Mario Kart 9. Unless of course Mario Kart 9 comes out looking like a new Pixar Movie and has compelling new USPs which imo hasn't happened since it went online.

MK8 continues to do its magic for the Switch

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

BOTW would be impossible on Wii, 3DS, or any Nintendo hardware before Wii U. 

In top down perspective?

Then that is not BOTW. BOTW is Nintendo most modern looking Zelda game since Windwaker. Everything since has almost been dated on arrival but BOTW actually could have been a compelling AAA experience on PS4 (obviously you would expect better AA & Resolution but still). I think this shininess & moderness (seamless open world) has helped contribute towards its selling power compared to previous entries.

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:
Better to hold back MK9 as a killer app launch title for Switch's successor I feel; Switch and BOTW showed how important it is to have a killer app right out of the gate.

Screw that.

They can test MK9 on Switch 1 and Deluxe it with DLC for Switch 2.

Mario Kart is so big now it needs to become Nintendo Kart. Zelda, 3D Mario and Animal Crossing have all hit new heights after being featured in Mario Kart. I think that's the way forward for MK now. Bi-annual DLC and/or subscription exclusive tracks. They could even offer to feature some 3rd party tracks in exchange for certain favours. MK8 showed how crap hardware held back a 50m selling game. If Switch 2 is a flop then so is MK9 (relative to it's potential). If they mess it up they can always reset with Mario Kart 10 on Switch 2 instead of MK9 Deluxe.

This wouldn't work so well. MK8 delux did great for the Switch because most people hadn't played the Wii U version lol.

But again if Nintendo wants to balance releasing software across a huge userbase + building a future platform at the same time, then releasing cross gen works best for that. 

A new console generation means new excitement, everybody in the gaming industry (and most importantly the gamers) is full of enthusiasm. This alone has great selling power even if the new console is just more of the same just in better (graphics).

Does anybody remind the dry presentation of the PS4 Pro? Nobody in the audience cheered and the same lack of excitement was followed on YouTube. And what about Xbox One X? Phil Spencer tried everything to make it BIG, nobody could overhear "the witness of the most powerful console ever“ but the reaction of the gamers was only lukewarm.

Should consoles vanish in the future and be replaced by streaming services you will see how lots of enthusiasm and excitement will be gone forever! You will never ever see next generation games anymore as the technical upgrades will be gradual and minimal and you will only notice them if you compare an current game (in the future) with a 10 or more year old game. I dearly hope we will never have such a future! The gaming industry needs real generations!

Regarding Nintendo Switch, if they can do a handheld only version, they can also do a TV only version (and hopefully they will do so). The demand for it is there. surveys showed that about half of Switch owners play it as handheld and the other half as home console (can't remember if the surveys also shows how many use it as both regularly).

Last edited by Fight-the-Streets - on 05 July 2020

Yeah, even as someone who hasn't bought a Sony/MS system since the PS3/360, I'm getting excited about PS5/XSX, simply because a new generation (usually) has that sense of something new and impressive, of offering us things we haven't played or seen before in video games.

With incremental upgrades that excitement would be diminished greatly, if not lost altogether.