By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Australia’s top climate scientist says “we are already deep into the trajectory towards collapse” of civilisation

VAMatt said:

I'm 40 years old. I recall pretty well the last 35 years of my life, and there has been a never-ending stream of impending climate emergency proclamations for those 35 years. It's always just a few years off. But those few years keep coming and going, any nothing serious ever happens.  Older people tell me that the same kind of thing was happening previous to the beginning of my memories in the early 80s. I know there was a big scare about global cooling before I was born. So, I put absolutely zero stock in the proclamations of so-called environmental experts.

That doesn't mean that I think environmental issues are unimportant. On the contrary, I think such issues are far too important to entrust to people or organizations that have been wrong about them over and over and over again.

I don't think a civilisation ending runaway climate has ever been seriously talk about as occurring in a "few years" by most scientists until very recently, they did start the warnings back in the 70's, 80's and 90's of global warming, saying we had some decades to reverse the trend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_climate_change_science

As the Science instruments/measuring gets better the consensus has really built round uncontrolled climate change occurring much sooner now, it's a huge risk to let this slide or be downplayed, the consequences are dire       

Last edited by Rab - on 21 June 2020

Around the Network

Better call greta

Rab said:
FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:
Another one from the doomsday cult.

Your from the cult of denial, the same cult that asks its members to practice having their head in the sand and has it's command and control in lala land :P   

I'll believe the science 

What you have faith in was first coined by Paul R. Ehrlich. He’s been wrong so many times that I lost count. This argument is heavily fueled in confirmation bias and appeal to authority with that authority being controlled by financial powers and government bodies that harm those who go against it. A lot of these alarmists use their own mathematical equations which are inherently flawed, an example as using math which assumes the earth is flat instead of round. Your other comment mentioned that pesky 90% number. The man who claimed the 90% number originally was cartoonist John Cook and you can look up criticism with his methods. As with Australian wildfires last year, most likely arsonists and I’ve read several articles that “prove” they were caused by climate change (or some that move the goalpost to even if they didn’t cause it they increased its devastation). We know that the vast majority of wildfires have been caused by arsonists and the minority that we don’t know probably include addition samples. There are also accidental fires caused from neglect. If CO2 or methane is the problem then why don’t we blame termites? Do you have proof termites are increasing in population due to human activity or rather proof their population has never changed and humans pushed a tipping point? There are so many problems...

On Australia arsons: https://aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/tandi348

Last edited by FormerlyTeamSilent13 - on 21 June 2020

VAMatt said:

I'm 40 years old. I recall pretty well the last 35 years of my life, and there has been a never-ending stream of impending climate emergency proclamations for those 35 years. It's always just a few years off. But those few years keep coming and going, any nothing serious ever happens.  Older people tell me that the same kind of thing was happening previous to the beginning of my memories in the early 80s. I know there was a big scare about global cooling before I was born. So, I put absolutely zero stock in the proclamations of so-called environmental experts.

That doesn't mean that I think environmental issues are unimportant. On the contrary, I think such issues are far too important to entrust to people or organizations that have been wrong about them over and over and over again.

same situation here. Its always fun to go back to their predictions from 20-30 years ago.

Anyway we should be listening to IPCC only, and not an isolated group of scientists from just one country.

This whole debate is just messed up with hidden interests, the media not doing their job as usual and helping mislead people and the serch for solutions going in the wrong direction. As usual.

We better raise taxes and make polluting too expensive for the poor. Because none of us are going to stop driving on gas and the forrests are gonna continue turning into parking lots.

Around the Network

Climate change is real and we must fight it. Everybody can make small changes that will add up to a big change. Especially first world people like myself are the ones with the biggest possibe influence. I believe the globalisation of the economy, with all the benefits it has, is a main driver of the climate change. I try to buy my stuff locally for a change and eat less meat.

EnricoPallazzo said:

same situation here. Its always fun to go back to their predictions from 20-30 years ago.

Anyway we should be listening to IPCC only, and not an isolated group of scientists from just one country.

This whole debate is just messed up with hidden interests, the media not doing their job as usual and helping mislead people and the serch for solutions going in the wrong direction. As usual.

"Isolated group of scientists from just one country" :)

It's funny and sad how much denial of science there is :/

Sounds like a good video game..

Bonzinga said:
Sounds like a good video game..

But no saves

Hiku said:

Worst case scenario = We make the world a bit better for nothing. Or cause an irreversible catastrophe.

Considering how some are handling Covid-19, it's not surprising that they are also willing to risk millions of lives for a different reason. 

This feels good rhetoric isn’t actual policy. Also, Covid-19 hass been handled terribly with this shutdown which has caused massive unemployment and destruction of parts of our economy. My sister lost her job through her university which ruined her entire future. She lost her free education for her masters, free summer camp for my nephew, free daycare for my nephew, on top of her healthcare. Many of these jobs will never come back and competition will increase for the jobs that remain. I’m not denying Covid-19 is real, but I will also point out the facts. They count deaths include deaths that are not related to covid as covid related, they put people on ventilators that should not be which kills them, in Sweden they refused to give oxygen to older people and nursing homes who asked for basic oxygen (not ventilators) despite no shortage, and people can’t visit their families in hospital or have a proper funeral. Hospital mistakes were the third leading cause of death before covid-19 even existed now add in hysteria, unknowns, and no family there to keep an eye on the nurses or doctors. The vast majority of Americans have worn masks as directed and followed all the rules all while WHO was self contradicting itself as to say which measures actually work or matter. The policies involved with climate change doomsday are often extremely aggressive and could create extreme problems. Before this pandemic the global economy was producing more than enough food to feed to entire human population with data only pointing to increased production ratios over an already healthy number.