Forums - Politics Discussion - (POSSIBLE SPOILERS INSIDE) The agenda and political discussion of Naughty Dog

Have politics damaged the quality of ND games

No 38 42.22%
 
Yes 52 57.78%
 
Total:90
EnricoPallazzo said:
DonFerrari said:

Not sure if Popular can only be used when it is positive (even though Populist is a negative connotion of politician that do things to be popular), but yes that doesn't matter and famous would be a better world (altough for me I always think on famous on the positive side and infamous on the negative).

Now I'm curious too... I though it meant people or things or arts that became famous/had a huge following etc at a certain point in time.

Mussolini definitely was very popular at a certain period and even today for a few.

Damn english is hard.

It can. All of those people were definitely popular (past tense). I don't think it's accurate to say they are (present tense) though. Especially considering one of them is now probably the most hated person of all time.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Not sure if Popular can only be used when it is positive (even though Populist is a negative connotion of politician that do things to be popular), but yes that doesn't matter and famous would be a better world (altough for me I always think on famous on the positive side and infamous on the negative).

Popular only has to be positive in that it's liked (rather than disliked). Whether it's liked for good or bad reasons doesn't matter.

That's also why I was hesitant to say the people you mentioned aren't popular. I mean, I'd certainly hope they're not liked by anybody, but they may well be popular in certain circles, even if they aren't within the general populace.

I would bet that each of those guys have like more than 1M people that still likes then nowadays (yes it is ludicrous, but we know some human beings are like that).



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

Don't remember saying that without referring to popular entertainment. Depends how long you require after it hits the market before you can justifiably state it's popular, and depends on what you're comparing it to.

Can something planned on being popular, fail at being popular? If it fails at being popular, is it still referred to as popular?

If a man wants a baby boy born to him, which is the popular choice by men, and it ends up being a baby girl instead, does it mean she's actually a baby boy? Should people refer to her as a boy? The man never truly knew what the sex was going to be until after birth, just like how a studio doesn't truly know if the game will be well received until after launch. The man won't know the child's overall gender for quite some time, just like how the studio won't know it's games overall sales for quite some time. If the baby girl doesn't meet the expectation, is she really a boy, and if the game doesn't meet the expectation, is it popular?

Yes it can, a pop music is a pop music even if it doesn't do success.

And considering how much conversation TLOU2 generated you can't say it isn't popular. Even if something is hated to the 11th power then it is popular, Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin, etc are all popular people.

You are still trying to put some very odd fallacies for who know why to try and say TLOU2 isn't popular or that AAA aren't made to be popular. Worse yet, since woman are bigger part of the population they would be the most popular outcome, not that it matter since when we also have over 3B man they are popular as well. Just stop making analogies that makes no sense.

Pop music isn't pop music, if it sounds more like rap music. If you set out to create a pop album and the listeners say it sounds a lot more like rap, then is it still a pop album?

So what was the likely outcome of TLOU2 based on the games politics and the population?

If this is the way communication worked nothing would ever make sense. Which in upside down backwards world, is why you must be... right?

Go on Twitter and tweet that you think Hitler was popular, and tell me how it works out for you. I'll bet that saying Hitler was popular will quickly become a 'popular thing to say' after all is said and done...



EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes it can, a pop music is a pop music even if it doesn't do success.

And considering how much conversation TLOU2 generated you can't say it isn't popular. Even if something is hated to the 11th power then it is popular, Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin, etc are all popular people.

You are still trying to put some very odd fallacies for who know why to try and say TLOU2 isn't popular or that AAA aren't made to be popular. Worse yet, since woman are bigger part of the population they would be the most popular outcome, not that it matter since when we also have over 3B man they are popular as well. Just stop making analogies that makes no sense.

Pop music isn't pop music, if it sounds more like rap music. If you set out to create a pop album and the listeners say it sounds a lot more like rap, then is it still a pop album?

So what was the likely outcome of TLOU2 based on the games politics and the population?

If this is the way communication worked nothing would ever make sense. Which in upside down backwards world, is why you must be... right?

Go on Twitter and tweet that you think Hitler was popular, and tell me how it works out for you. I'll bet that saying Hitler was popular will quickly become a 'popular thing to say' after all is said and done...

You'll fail even harder on trying to argue that TLOU2 isn't popular by any mean or metric, dunno why you are being so stubborn on it.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

Pop music isn't pop music, if it sounds more like rap music. If you set out to create a pop album and the listeners say it sounds a lot more like rap, then is it still a pop album?

So what was the likely outcome of TLOU2 based on the games politics and the population?

If this is the way communication worked nothing would ever make sense. Which in upside down backwards world, is why you must be... right?

Go on Twitter and tweet that you think Hitler was popular, and tell me how it works out for you. I'll bet that saying Hitler was popular will quickly become a 'popular thing to say' after all is said and done...

You'll fail even harder on trying to argue that TLOU2 isn't popular by any mean or metric, dunno why you are being so stubborn on it.

Stubborn. Hmm.

When exactly do you think Hitler became popular? The moment he decided to attempt to take command of Germany, or after he had his population saluting him? 

Maybe we should just wait and see how TLOU2 plays out before we agree or disagree if it ends up being popular. Who knows, maybe gamers are just waiting to get it on PS5.



Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

You'll fail even harder on trying to argue that TLOU2 isn't popular by any mean or metric, dunno why you are being so stubborn on it.

Stubborn. Hmm.

When exactly do you think Hitler became popular? The moment he decided to attempt to take command of Germany, or after he had his population saluting him? 

Maybe we should just wait and see how TLOU2 plays out before we agree or disagree if it ends up being popular. Who knows, maybe gamers are just waiting to get it on PS5.

It sold 4M+ on 3 days, there is no way you can say it isn't popular without putting like 99% as not popular (over 4000 titles on PS4, with like 40 selling over 5M TLOU2 already sold)

If it ends up hated in some years sure you can also say that, but there isn't anything right now that can put TLOU2 as not popular. Not even by your exaggeration like the "it isn't popular because it didn't sell like minecraft".



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

Stubborn. Hmm.

When exactly do you think Hitler became popular? The moment he decided to attempt to take command of Germany, or after he had his population saluting him? 

Maybe we should just wait and see how TLOU2 plays out before we agree or disagree if it ends up being popular. Who knows, maybe gamers are just waiting to get it on PS5.

It sold 4M+ on 3 days, there is no way you can say it isn't popular without putting like 99% as not popular (over 4000 titles on PS4, with like 40 selling over 5M TLOU2 already sold)

If it ends up hated in some years sure you can also say that, but there isn't anything right now that can put TLOU2 as not popular. Not even by your exaggeration like the "it isn't popular because it didn't sell like minecraft".

I never could have expected in backwards upside down world, flipping it to the exact opposite and suggesting it be judged right away and then possibly change minds later. Though, people deciding on something and forming a strong mindset first, and then changing it later, is much more realistic than simply waiting for everything before you make a decision at all. This is a rush type situation though so it's not like people have all the time in the world..

Hitler is also hated now, even by his own people. At least I would think that's safe to say, but you also suggested that it doesn't change that he was still popular. Which would likely mean that the implied TLOU2 popularity wouldn't change down the road either, even if it was hated, so..

I will say, that if anyone ever suggests that TLOU2 is literally Hitler, I certainly wouldn't agree with them.



EricHiggin said:

I will say, that if anyone ever suggests that TLOU2 is literally Hitler, I certainly wouldn't agree with them.

Although folk that defends deceptive advertisment (amongst other tactics of manipulation), influencing and censoring reviews, the hypocrisy of the ones responsible and condoning gagging voices critical of such practices and the game come off as a little... fascist.



Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:
EricHiggin said:

I will say, that if anyone ever suggests that TLOU2 is literally Hitler, I certainly wouldn't agree with them.

Although folk that defends deceptive advertisment (amongst other tactics of manipulation), influencing and censoring reviews, the hypocrisy of the ones responsible and condoning gagging voices critical of such practices and the game come off as a little... fascist.

Joke?



 

China Numba wan!!

John2290 said:
Zoombael said:

Although folk that defends deceptive advertisment (amongst other tactics of manipulation), influencing and censoring reviews, the hypocrisy of the ones responsible and condoning gagging voices critical of such practices and the game come off as a little... fascist.

Joke?

Regardless, if it were viewed that way by some, it still wouldn't literally be Hitler. Not even close. Trying to push a 'fascist' agenda through a video game and trying to push a fascist agenda to take over a war worthy country is a pretty gigantic gap. There's nothing wrong with anyone pointing out what they see and think about it though. Some would even say it's highly beneficial.