Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like the PS5 console design?

Do you like the PS5 console design?

Yes 132 55.23%

No 80 33.47%

On the fence 27 11.30%

Total:239
CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

Sony have already pretty much conceded defeat in the Japanese market. Their focus is overwhelming on the West nowadays.

The only real area of "defeat" is in the handheld space. As a home console, they should do fine (relative to the climate).

I also disagree with the notion that its size will hurt much (I know you didn't say that, but still). Barring serious blunders there, it should sell on par with the PS4.

I don't think its size will be the issue either. Japan simply isn't much interested in dedicated consoles any more, and Sony's focus is clearly on Western audiences. PS4 is struggling to sell as much as PS3 in Japan, which was already massively down from PS2. Doing fine "relative to the climate" at this point means being a distantly secondary contender. 

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DroidKnight said:
I don't mind the design at all, as long as it plays the games I want. The giant size of it will probably hurt Japan sales. They gonna take one look at it in the store and point and laugh like they did with other large consoles from past generations.

Sony have already pretty much conceded defeat in the Japanese market. Their focus is overwhelming on the West nowadays.

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

The only real area of "defeat" is in the handheld space. As a home console, they should do fine (relative to the climate).

I also disagree with the notion that its size will hurt much (I know you didn't say that, but still). Barring serious blunders there, it should sell on par with the PS4.

Size will most certainly be a factor in Japan but not the only one.  More Japanese gamers will continue to switch over to handhelds and xcloud streaming to play their games on their mobile devices.  There is no way the PS5 will sell anywhere close to the PS4. Series X will also bomb there. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

curl-6 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I don't think its size will be the issue either. Japan simply isn't much interested in dedicated consoles any more, and Sony's focus is clearly on Western audiences. PS4 is struggling to sell as much as PS3 in Japan, which was already massively down from PS2. Doing fine "relative to the climate" at this point means being a distantly secondary contender. 

Outside of VGC, I've not seen a breakdown of PS3 vs PS4 JP numbers. Regardless, there's simply nothing in the console space for Sony to be worried about there, so as noted, barring a lack of games, high price (or both), it should be a natural reduction relative to interest in the region.

DroidKnight said:
CGI-Quality said:

Size will most certainly be a factor in Japan but not the only one.  More Japanese gamers will continue to switch over to handhelds and xcloud streaming to play their games on their mobile devices.  There is no way the PS5 will sell anywhere close to the PS4. Series X will also bomb there. 

It'll be a factor so small, it will hardly make any difference. Come launch, we'll see, but I stand by that.

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

Outside of VGC, I've not seen a breakdown of PS3 vs PS4 JP numbers. Regardless, there's simply nothing in the console space for Sony to be worried about there, so as noted, barring a lack of games, high price (or both), it should be a natural reduction relative to interest in the region.

I changed the wording to just "conceded", but as a hybrid, Switch can also serve as a console, and indeed the version that can is preferred even in Japan over the handheld-only Lite.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I changed the wording to just "conceded", but as a hybrid, Switch can also serve as a console, and indeed the version that can is preferred even in Japan over the handheld-only Lite.

No way to know how the Switch would compete outside of a handheld portion, so I won't speculate on it. All I'd like to see is a breakdown of PS3 vs PS4 numbers (not from us, something that has access to more data).

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like it was last reported about a year ago at around 8 million (roughly 2 million behind the PS3). So while it was certainly down, when all is said and done, it'll probably settle just under it. Not great, but decent (relatively) and means the PS5 could potentially do about 7-8m (opening price and software accommodating, of course).

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 17 June 2020

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

No way to know how the Switch would compete outside of a handheld portion, so I won't speculate on it. All I'd like to see is a breakdown of PS3 vs PS4 numbers (not from us, something that has access to more data).

I'm sure there's Famitsu numbers to corroborate, though I don't have them myself.

Any way you slice it, Sony were once a strong presence in Japan, selling over 20 million with the PS1, PS2, and PSP. Now they're lucky if they break 10 million, and play second fiddle in a market dominated by Nintendo.

curl-6 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm sure there's Famitsu numbers to corroborate, though I don't have them myself.

Any way you slice it, Sony were once a strong presence in Japan, selling over 20 million with the PS1, PS2, and PSP. Now they're lucky if they break 10 million, and play second fiddle in a market dominated by Nintendo.

Which isn't a fault of Sony's, rather a changing climate. Nintendo dominates by focusing on what sells there and playing to their strengths, as all companies do. Same reason no one touches Sony in EU and many other places outside NA/JP. 

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

Which isn't a fault of Sony's, rather a changing climate. Nintendo dominates by focusing on what sells there and playing to their strengths, as all companies do. Same reason no one touches Sony in EU and many other places outside NA/JP. 

Sony are conceding that market though rather than trying to adapt to it, which is honestly the best move as the Vita showed that supporting two systems at once to try to appeal to mobile-centric Japan isn't necessarily worth it. Still, that doesn't change the outcome, which is that Sony are focused on the West and have effectively conceded Japan to Nintendo.

curl-6 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Sony are conceding that market though rather than trying to adapt to it, which is honestly the best move as the Vita showed that supporting two systems at once to try to appeal to mobile-centric Japan isn't necessarily worth it. Still, that doesn't change the outcome, which is that Sony are focused on the West and have effectively conceded Japan to Nintendo.

The issue was lack of support, not that they tried hard and failed. Nintendo proved that you can cover two machines at once so long as the support is there, and they also understand the handheld portion needs to be intact. Last attempt for them outside of it (Wii U), they were obliterated (part Vita-like blunder, part declining home console interest).

Thus, yes, Sony are playing to their strengths in the West, Nintendo to theirs in the East. The former simply has no other home console to threaten whatever it is left that they can do in the region.