Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest return to form for a franchise

Cerebralbore101 said:
Sonic Mania

Sonic floundered in 3D for decades until some fans came together and finally made a good Sonic game, with the blessing of Sega.

100% this. All of those awful Sonic games. I didn't even like the ones that some did like Sonic Adventures, and don't get me started on Sonic 4 yuck. Sonic Mania on the other hand felt perfect and played like a true Sonic game. I also got a sweet physical version on Switch with a reversible Mega Drive cover. The nostalgia was next level. 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Nautilus said:

That was the Capcom who created RE 6. We are now living in an age where Capcom has produced Megaman 11, RE 7 and RE 2R and RE 3 R, DMC 5, and so on.

I get your skepticism, but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

Being optimistic about the Mega Man series only leads to heartache. Besides, this is also the age where Capcom has produced Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (although Disney's partially to blame for that one) and Dead Rising 4.

Fair enough!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

For moi....

- Super Mario Galaxy. After the bland tedium that was Sunshine, so lacking in Nintendo's usual magic, Galaxy recaptured that sense of wonder and joyous ingenuity that characterizes the company's best games. To this day, it remains the #2 best game ever made in my opinion.

- Twilight Princess. It returned Zelda to what it should be; an epic, dramatic fantasy adventure with a tasteful measure of darkness, a sort of video game equivalent to what Lord of the Rings is to literature and film.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

h2ohno said:
Animal Crossing New Horizons. Not that the previous mainline game was bad. Just that the series suffered from 7 years of crappy spinoffs so any true sequel would be a welcome return to form.

Forgot to mention Animal Crossing. It was painful to have an Amiibo game on the Wii U, a house designer game on 3DS, and a barebones mobile game during a seven-year wait for the main event. 

I'm probably dead wrong about development teams and resources on the spin-offs, but I feel we could've gotten New Horizons in Q3 2018 - Q2 2019 if not for all the shifted focus on spin-offs and to some extent the Welcome Amiibo update of New Leaf.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Cerebralbore101 said:
Sonic Mania

Sonic floundered in 3D for decades until some fans came together and finally made a good Sonic game, with the blessing of Sega.

This.

Sonic is a perfect example of a major franchise originating in the 2D era only to crash head-first into the "polygon ceiling" and struggle after the transition to 3D. Some series simply work best in 2D, and Sonic is one of those. Adventure was merely okay, and it seemed to just go downhill from there. Sega essentially innovated Sonic nearly to death, culminating in the disaster that was Sonic '06, and it wasn't until releases like Colors and Generations that they started making a much-needed course correction (though the series still saw continued blunders, including Sonic Boom and the half-hearted attempt to go back to 16-bit that was Sonic 4). But it was definitely Sonic Mania that got me interested in actually playing a Sonic game for the first time. It demonstrated that, sometimes, innovation is overrated, and doing "more of the same, but better" is the right approach. I honestly would not mind if Sonic simply kept with the Mania approach from now on.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 11 June 2020

Around the Network

Doom 2016 is also up there in my book.

Doom 3 was not a bad game, in fact it was quite good for what it was, but as a result of its much slower pace it lost the sheer fun factor of the originals. The 2016 reboot brought the excitement and energy back with a vengeance, not only recapturing the fast-paced arcadey action of the first two games but improving on it with its "push forward" combat that incentives aggression and speed and is one of the most satisfying combat loops of any FPS ever in my opinion.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Sonic Mania the thread.

For me, probably Super Mario Galaxy. Don't get me wrong, Sunshine is a pretty damn good game. Still better than most games out there. It just felt...not quite right. It didn't live up to the standard I was expecting. I think FLUDD was a mistake. I thought the best parts of the game were those little levels were Shadow Mario would steal FLUDD. Those parts actually felt great, and it made me just wish standard platforming was in the rest of the game.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links