Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 94 / OC: 94)

Tagged games:

DakonBlackblade said:
CGI-Quality said:

Games getting lower scores later on has happened before. On top of that, it has a 94 based on 111 counted reviews (a mere two points since release day and and an enormously high score). I'm not sure what people are looking for at this point, but the narrative surrounding the game have really reached the point of "silly" now. 

So ppl aren't allowed to find the game bad now cause you said so ? There are plenty of reasons to find it wierd that reviewers tought this was the "Shindler's list of videogames" and a lot of ppl playing ti aren't at all seeing the paralel. Also the games defenders are super keen to lable anyone saying the story is just bad as a bigot. The Dina Ellie relation was one of the best parts in the game, but it gets completly swamped by so many things going wrong you barely even remember it was there.

I said nothing of the sort. Merely that the over analyzing of the scores (and now its sales) is ridiculous. It isn’t any different from a numerical change than any game before it. 

Around the Network

AngryJoe's review is up:

It's a long one, almost 50 minutes, so you may need some coffee to go with it.

DakonBlackblade said:
CGI-Quality said:

Games getting lower scores later on has happened before. On top of that, it has a 94 based on 111 counted reviews (a mere two points since release day and and an enormously high score). I'm not sure what people are looking for at this point, but the narrative surrounding the game have really reached the point of "silly" now. 

So ppl aren't allowed to find the game bad now cause you said so ? There are plenty of reasons to find it wierd that reviewers tought this was the "Shindler's list of videogames" and a lot of ppl playing ti aren't at all seeing the paralel. Also the games defenders are super keen to lable anyone saying the story is just bad as a bigot. The Dina Ellie relation was one of the best parts in the game, but it gets completly swamped by so many things going wrong you barely even remember it was there.

People are allowed to like and dislike it as much as they want.

That's not the issue at all, people are being ridiculous about things that are common as if that is proof the game is underperforming because its widely hated.

Games on that score range almost always drop 2 to 3 points as I said when it was still with a 96 score, and on the sales oriented threads it has also been explained that big games always have the kind of second week drop we are seeing with TLoU2.

People can hate it all they want, but the hate campaign this game got even way before it released has nothing to do with its quality at all.

People where trying to push a boycott before release, where going everywhere deliberatedly spreading leaks to ruin it for people before they played and paint a misleading impression of its story, then people review bombed it on Metacritc to an extent never seem to try to paint the game as bad as now that the game has been performing extremely well on all fronts they are pushing the narrative people actually hate it.

The problem is not someone genuinely hating it, that's completely normal, even if a lot of people do hate it, the problem is the absurd overreaction to something that is completely normal.

TLoU2 is a giant game as a lot of people feared it would be, so they are overreacting now.

Let people hate it as much as they want, it doesn't change the fact this game is a monumental success.

Last edited by BraLoD - on 03 July 2020

@cerelbralbore You replied in one of these threads, I wanted to continue with thoughts when I had time but I can't find it now.

China Numba wan!!

Anyone want a Last of us 3 with Abby and Lev? I'm tottally for it, maybe they find a medical institution and have to go on a trek to hunt down Ellie for her immunity. I would not mind this at all as long as it's a more concise game and trimmed to around the 20 hour mark. Or perhaps just a standalone expansion where they attempt to find a home? They are the only two characters in this world that matter that havn't been ruined. I wouldn't mind playing an Abby game, it's the only way i can see myself playing a Tlou3 unless they start fron scratch in a new location and don't do a revenge story.

China Numba wan!!

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Anyone want a Last of us 3 with Abby and Lev? I'm tottally for it, maybe they find a medical institution and have to go on a trek to hunt down Ellie for her immunity. I would not mind this at all as long as it's a more concise game and trimmed to around the 20 hour mark. Or perhaps just a standalone expansion where they attempt to find a home? They are the only two characters in this world that matter that havn't been ruined. I wouldn't mind playing an Abby game, it's the only way i can see myself playing a Tlou3 unless they start fron scratch in a new location and don't do a revenge story.

I would like to see that direction yes.

Immersiveunreality said:
John2290 said:

I would like to see that direction yes.

Do you think the player base would go for something like that? With Abby i mean. It's so hard to tell if it's a small minority of hardcore gamers against her or if it is how it is on MC, in reality.

China Numba wan!!

Angry Joe reviewed it and besides for Abby ans the ending he has near complete parallel with ny opinion, altough I do disagree with is score of 6 but if I had to choose a 5 star rating system we'd be in agreement on score. 

China Numba wan!!

hinch said:
DakonBlackblade said:

The majority of people who actually played the game enjoyed it, hence good scores.

The other stuff is a shit show about politics and how story is crap is way overblown. Criticism is criticism but you hardly ever people criticizing ever find anything OTHER than the story (which to be fair should have seen coming from watching the initial trailers) to discount the game or how SWJ the director is. What about the gameplay, music, graphics and looking at it as an entirety or whole package. Its a high quality and extremely well polished game with 20-30 hour of game time.

So yeah a good game gets a good score. I can see the criticisms about the story but honestly thought it was decent. Not as good as the first but serviceable and has good gameplay and is fun to play.

If you hated the story a 80 score is understandable, but considering it is only one aspect of the game and technically you can't discount points from basically everything else (except perhaps AI on low difficults and your partner still being useless and undetected - but if was detected it would likely break the game), there is no way a serious and honest review could score it lower.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

John2290 said:

I wouldn't mind their story and remaking fireflies on a more hopeful setting.

But I would preffer a 1.5 telling how Joel and Tommy made their city and how they changed (would cover some of the criticism of this game) could even be a standalone expansion, would make it cheaper on reussing assets and releasing on PS4 faster;

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994