By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 93 / OC: 93)

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:
Carl said:
Have any of y'all tried Grounded?

Much different than Survival?

I'm playing a much harder game right now: Fall Guys.

I have 2 wins and level 22, no way I'll manage 5 straight wins to plat it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Of thing that people seem to ignore on the end of TLOU1 is not only that for Joel the world meant Ellie and it wouldn't be worth to life in a world without her and that is why he was dead set on rescuing her, put that together with he being and feeling betrayed, trapped and jailed. His mental state was totally throwed off and we have to remind that almost everyone on his way was shooting at him to prevent he rescuing Ellie, so yes he saw everyone as enemies so he didn't even need to justify the killing to himself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
KratosLives said:

Spoiler ahead! They say Joel killed innocent people to survive, but it's never implied he blatantly murdered people just to survive. He may have asked someone for food or supplies, they said no, he got into a fight , turned ugly and he happened to kill them , as fighting meant survival. I doubt he ambushed innocent men and woman from the corner like hunters in tlou1.

Joel tells Ellie in the first game he had done a lot to survive, that he wasn't that different from those other guys.

Ellie also tells Dina that Joel and Tommy were doing some very hardcore stuff back then, which includes torture like Joel was shown doing in the first game and you see the results of a fresh one by Tommy in the hotel in the second game.

Yeah but still doesn't imply he was on Hunter level.  Doing hardcore stuff doesn't mean he was out there killing innocent woman. I think the worst he did was Rob someone of supplies, get into a fight and killed someone. probably tortured someone who wouldn't talk and maybe left him maim or dead.

John2290 said:
Anyone want a Last of us 3 with Abby and Lev? I'm tottally for it, maybe they find a medical institution and have to go on a trek to hunt down Ellie for her immunity. I would not mind this at all as long as it's a more concise game and trimmed to around the 20 hour mark. Or perhaps just a standalone expansion where they attempt to find a home? They are the only two characters in this world that matter that havn't been ruined. I wouldn't mind playing an Abby game, it's the only way i can see myself playing a Tlou3 unless they start fron scratch in a new location and don't do a revenge story.

No. I'd only go for an spin off. I want both Abby and Ellie to go away for good.

DonFerrari said:
John2290 said:
Anyone want a Last of us 3 with Abby and Lev? I'm tottally for it, maybe they find a medical institution and have to go on a trek to hunt down Ellie for her immunity. I would not mind this at all as long as it's a more concise game and trimmed to around the 20 hour mark. Or perhaps just a standalone expansion where they attempt to find a home? They are the only two characters in this world that matter that havn't been ruined. I wouldn't mind playing an Abby game, it's the only way i can see myself playing a Tlou3 unless they start fron scratch in a new location and don't do a revenge story.

I wouldn't mind their story and remaking fireflies on a more hopeful setting.

But I would preffer a 1.5 telling how Joel and Tommy made their city and how they changed (would cover some of the criticism of this game) could even be a standalone expansion, would make it cheaper on reussing assets and releasing on PS4 faster;

Yes. I'd go for a more family friendly, sorta happy ending, 1.5 part. 

Jontexx said:

Guys really? Everything i read about this game os related to its plot and story. But its a game or a movie ? I don't see any kind of analysis on gameplay, game method, features, innovations, interaction ... anyway ... I wonder how much time we have of cutscenes within the total game time.  Its should be considered to  Oscar instead goty

Story is very important. Although I haven't found anyone bashing gameplay and mechanics. In this regard, this game is truly something else.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

KLAMarine said:
KratosLives said:
My wife is still attached with joel and could't forgive/empathise with abby. At the end of it was was content and felt sorry for abby in the end scene, but said the first is still her fav, and misses joel .I on the other hand was able to accept abby and her actions. Love it. I guess it's all about how one interprets the game world, the chracters and past actions and setting them selves up for expectations. I liked joel in the first game but his actions at the end had me perplexed. I knew what was coming.

What was perplexing about it? Joel saved his surrogate daughter, someone he grew to deeply care for.

I'd have done the same thing. To avoid my daughter death and to cover up her secret. Most people on that building would try to track my daughter, so they'd have to be taken down.

BraLoD said:
KLAMarine said:

He was not going to kill Ellie, she was going to die so he could develop a cure.

>So was the surgeon just gonna lay Ellie down on the operating table and wait for her to die from natural causes or something? I don't understand. The process of developing the vaccine was going to kill her and fireflies were the ones developing said vaccine.

They were very much going to kill Ellie.

It's like blaming a scientist for testing a vaccine/medicine, it's a process for a greater good, and Ellie wanted that herself.

>I still maintain the fireflies were staffed by idiots. There's a real world example we can compare this to: the fight against smallpox.

Long story short, when inoculating people against small pox, a simple sample of cow pox, a less severe form of small pox, was all that was needed. The cow pox patient didn't need to die. Why does Ellie have to die?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqUFy-t4MlQ

Maybe I'm missing something, some portion where the science in TLoU is explained in more detail?..

There is a very big difference between killing a person as a murder and as a way to save the entire planet, and she wanted it herself.

Ellie was going to die for the vaccine, not because the doctor choose to kill her, that's what I'm talking about, the doctor was innocent, he was saving the world and Ellie was collateral damage (which is still not good, but he is not doing it because he wants to).

Spoiler!
And in the sequel you see he is still sad she would have to die for it, thinking about what would he do if she was his daughter, aka, the dillema Joel was into.

About if they were able to not kill her and still get a cure, pay in mind that it was the world 20 years after the apocalipse, and they were a revolutionary army in the brink of destruction, they didn't have anywhere close the same means, resources and capacity for such delicate surgery as they would in the world before the outbreak.

They explain the only way to develop the vaccine is to extract the part that growns in the brain, which I don't even know if modern science was able to without killing the patient.

The fungus grows in the brain (which is evident everywhere, from the story to the infected evolution stages as well), and at least in the story, only having access to the part of Ellie's brain that was able to fight back the fungus growth they could understand what was the cause and develop a cure.

I'm on the opinion that she had no choice. She was a child and I know better. Children shouldn't decide this sort of things. A bunch of adults that aren't their parents, simply deciding to take her life to do a surgery that could remotely, by some chance, save the world is something that I don't agree with. I bet none of those doctors would do that to their children. So why would they do that to mine, or even worse, to a girl, an orphan, that have no parents to speak for her? I'd speak for her and kill everyone to protect her.

Last edited by 0D0 - on 28 August 2020

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
Carl said:

In terms of infected enemies...

Spoiler!

What are peoples thoughts on future enemies?

Outside of the obvious shift to cordyceps evolving and starting to infect wildlife, what else do you think we could be seeing? Shamblers will forever be unique to a more water-based climate on what the game tells us while Bloaters will generally remain as the 4th stage infected "sub-boss". The Rat King will remain as a unique enemy type, based on it being in a unique situation for 25+ years.

If going forward they introduce new infected based on environment and time, I'm really curious as to how they'll expand on enemy-types in future installments and the locations they choose.

I liked the comments made in-game about Las Vegas and how the infected could be heard from far out due to just how many thousands there seemed to be. A game based in or around one of the bigger cities of America that has a failed QZ and hasn't been taken over by rival factions could be really interesting. The military from a neighbouring city trying to regain a big city that fell to infected. Large numbers of infected instead of small packs of 3 or 4, more opportunities for them to introduce other "joined" infected (Joined clickers coming at you? Evolved stalkers that can cling to the wall or roof? Large groups of runners chasing you down?)... I'd be down for that.

I'd also *really* love to see them go beyond the "human" looking enemies and go more body horror, finally utilizing the concept art from the original. Imagine having things like this coming for you.

One of the things i like about this game is how the infected look like real people in distress. It makes me feel pain for them. If we get to have grotesque monsters, they'll become just normal monsters and boring.

God bless You.

BraLoD said:
John2290 said:

I don't understand that line of thought, just because it's built really well doesn't male it instantly a masterpiece. Nioh 2 is built extremly well, even better than the original but it fails at so much and falls so short from the original masterpiece and same with this  sure a game can be so good in some aspects that it outshines the bad, The Witcher 3 at release or Ghost of Tsushima for example but TLOU2 has so many flaws, the progression hit mid game for one thing, the worst pacing in a game since.... dammit, I can't even remember anything, the story inconsistencies and the massive gap between the good writing and the bad writing. The Ai being mindless after you realise it's just an illusion of extra animations and the inconsistency in level design throughout the game which feeds back into the awful, pacing for another. You still don't see these issues? And that's before the story fuck ups and these kills that try to be emotional and shocking but you don't know who you're even killing or why you should care until after... okay, I'm not getting into the story and characters, there is too much wrong but you really don't see them? Did you play in Spanish? Did that help mask sone of the issues if you did? I genuinely don't understand how people can see this game as a 10 but calling it a masterpiece is another thing entirely, I'd have loved to have my playthrough be as good as yours was, I envy ya, man. 

It's not because it's a technical marvel only, it's because it's great all around.

Graphics, story, story telling, gameplay, music/sound, play length, atmosphere, animations, everything.

Again, the fact you don't like the story don't make it bad by aby means.

BraLoD said:
KLAMarine said:

terrible pacing

ham-fisted messaging

contrivances

lack of multiplayer (previous game had mp meaning more bang for your buck, this one doesn't have it)

forced drama

terrible ending

Those are all your opinions.

Multiplayer certainly is good, definitely not a necessity for me by any means, it was a great plus on the original, but it was also a 10 without it.

Singleplayer is almost the sole reason I buy games.

Story, story telling, and pacing are attributes that can be analysed and rated as it is in books and films. It's not only opinion.

God bless You.

I haven't read many reviews, but the reviewer that most understood what I felt is from Kotaku. It's my favourite review.

https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-part-ii-the-kotaku-review-1844006193

Quoting:

"My playthrough of The Last of Us 2 felt terrible to experience. Over the course of my 27 hours with the game, it grew to the point of feeling nearly unbearable. This wasn’t because it asked me hard questions about my own capacity for harm or revenge, or pulled some Spec Ops: The Line-style moralizing about video game violence. Despite Druckmann’s promised “philosophical questions,” I never felt like the game asked me anything. Instead, it told me “brutality,” repeatedly and louder, until by the end I couldn’t hear what it was trying to say at all. Characters make hideous, irredeemable choices, over and over. Everybody suffers, physically and emotionally, in graphic detail. This is all intended to prove a point, but the only point I got from the game was simply to be required to stare at violence, and play through violence, and then do that again, and more, and again, and more."

"Type of game: Misery simulator"

"I didn’t find it prurient—the game doesn’t relish in its gory deaths or emotional suffering. It just takes every opportunity to show them, over and over, and decides that counts as saying something about them. It showed me so much ugliness, and in such detail, that I felt numb as terrible things befell more characters I cared about."

"Eventually, my numbness turned to an anger I’ve never felt about a video game. "

End quoting.

If there's a lesson from this game, despite all other good theories and explanations about everything that went on, I think this game represents a media product of a heartless generation. A story like that would never be produced 30 years ago. I think my parents and grand parents would throw up watching this game (my grandmother probably would call the pastor to bless the house). This game doesn't look like survival horror entertainment, doesn't look like any entertainment at all.

If I had to choose one word to describe this game is "ugly".

I'm not saying it's a 0/0 game at all. This post is still not my full thoughts on the game.

God bless You.

BraLoD said:
0D0 said:

Story, story telling, and pacing are attributes that can be analysed and rated as it is in books and films. It's not only opinion.

They are still opinions, even if someone chooses to attribute a number on it, it's an opinion.

Someone can tell me the story telling is terrible and I'll tell them it's magnificent, in the end it's all opinion, even as it can have some kind of rating.

You didn't get my point. I said that it can get some kind of rating exactly because it's not opinion.

Story pacing for example is truly technical. A good story can be ruined by bad pacing. Stories also can be inherently bad by false tautologies, nonsense assumptions, characters out of place or portraying behaviours that don't make sense and the list goes on. Books are mostly all rated in those terms and some books do have bad stories and get universally low rates from multiple sources.

But we can agree to disagree.

God bless You.

Anyone tried permadeath already?

I’m still on my 4th run of the game and want to try it but don’t have too much time lately.
I heard some people already got the trophy for permadeath while I Still haven’t got the platinum (yeah I suck for trophies)