By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 93 / OC: 93)

Tagged games:

Bonzinga said:
DonFerrari said:

So you didn`t read the reviews but are sure they aren`t trolls?

And again not liking a game is one thing totally different than doing a professional work. Also from 25 points bellow average the alternative of not liking but seeing the game is great there is a lot of leeway until you hit 100.

So you think major outlets don`t put troll reviews? Ok then

I am not saying there are no troll reviewers, what I am saying is a 7 is not a troll score. A 7 is actually considered an average/good score and there is nothing wrong with that number. What's the point in having multiple different outlets doing reviews just so they can all give the same score.. than there is no real point. Just pick your favourite outlet and go by there score, you don't need every reviewer to agree with your own views.

I admit I didn't read the 7/10 reviews, I don't need to, however you are the one trying to criticize the review scores, maybe you need to read them yourself before jumping on the negative band wagon. I am still curious as to know why you think the game is better than the 7s when you haven't actually played it. Unless you are a reviewer yourself, you don't really have an opinion on someone else's work since its not your field.

A troll review would be the 4/10 given to Uncharted 4 or the 2/10 given to Halo 4 and Forza Horizon 2. They are questionable review scores, not a 7/10. Heck if they were trolling, they would give the game a lot worse than a 7.

I asked about the review scores on these game not in general. A 4 could be a serious review depending on the game.

You are discussing something else.

I already told you what those reviewers touched, but you aren`t looking at they. Plus seems like you don`t get that the real point of a troll is not be perceived as one. Or perhaps you do but act as if you don`t.

A game that averages in the 80s, a 60 score could very well be reasonable. A game that averages 60 a 30 could be ok. It isn`t about the number in absolute but how it diverges of the average and the reasons for so.

Immersiveunreality said:
To Skillup his defence i must say ,he is one of the very rare reviewers that DOES have personal takes on things but does not involve any agenda in his reviews.
Honesty without agenda,sometimes i like it or not but i mostly always respect it.

On review taking it personal is bad, so you aren`t really defending him =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

"IGN Japan (7): "The Last of Us Part II tries too hard to differentiate itself from its predecessor. While astonishing cityscapes and more varied combat options are great evolutions, Part II lacks the poetic serenity that made the original road-movie-like epic such a masterpiece. On top of that, uninteresting new characters burden the story, making Ellie's journey feel conventional and not nearly as captivating as the original."

Exactly.

Hunting Season is done...

DonFerrari said:
Bonzinga said:

I am not saying there are no troll reviewers, what I am saying is a 7 is not a troll score. A 7 is actually considered an average/good score and there is nothing wrong with that number. What's the point in having multiple different outlets doing reviews just so they can all give the same score.. than there is no real point. Just pick your favourite outlet and go by there score, you don't need every reviewer to agree with your own views.

I admit I didn't read the 7/10 reviews, I don't need to, however you are the one trying to criticize the review scores, maybe you need to read them yourself before jumping on the negative band wagon. I am still curious as to know why you think the game is better than the 7s when you haven't actually played it. Unless you are a reviewer yourself, you don't really have an opinion on someone else's work since its not your field.

A troll review would be the 4/10 given to Uncharted 4 or the 2/10 given to Halo 4 and Forza Horizon 2. They are questionable review scores, not a 7/10. Heck if they were trolling, they would give the game a lot worse than a 7.

I asked about the review scores on these game not in general. A 4 could be a serious review depending on the game.

I already told you what those reviewers touched, but you aren`t looking at they. Plus seems like you don`t get that the real point of a troll is not be perceived as one. Or perhaps you do but act as if you don`t.

A game that averages in the 80s, a 60 score could very well be reasonable. A game that averages 60 a 30 could be ok. It isn`t about the number in absolute but how it diverges of the average and the reasons for so.

Immersiveunreality said:
To Skillup his defence i must say ,he is one of the very rare reviewers that DOES have personal takes on things but does not involve any agenda in his reviews.
Honesty without agenda,sometimes i like it or not but i mostly always respect it.

He always does acknowledge it heavingly when he himself thinks he is being biased in some sort of way but can not help himself to avoid that,the defence is that he acknowledges having a personal view instead of saying all people with other takes on a certain game are wrong.

Oooh most reviewers taking it personal are doing it in a more egoistic manner,and i'm talking about a big proportion of those reviewers.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 13 June 2020

Immersiveunreality said:
DonFerrari said:

He always does acknowledge it heavingly when he himself thinks he is being biased in some sort of way but can not help himself to avoid that,the defence is that he acknowledges having a personal view instead of saying all people with other takes on a certain game are wrong.

I understood your point, I just meant that if you can`t separate yourself and taste from the review you aren`t being professional.

I know that Halos mostly are 9+ games, but since I don`t like FPS in general would give "a honest" 6 or lower if based on my taste or how much fun I had. But if I were to be a professional reviewer I would need to give it a professional and objective analysis based on the technical aspects mostly.

If I wanted just how much fun or the personal interest someone had on the game I would either view a youtube rant or ask a friend. But I rather see DF on the technical or CGI on the graphical aspect of a game that are done mostly professionally or technically as possible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think we can all agree on there only being one review that really matters.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I understood your point, I just meant that if you can`t separate yourself and taste from the review you aren`t being professional.

I know that Halos mostly are 9+ games, but since I don`t like FPS in general would give "a honest" 6 or lower if based on my taste or how much fun I had. But if I were to be a professional reviewer I would need to give it a professional and objective analysis based on the technical aspects mostly.

If I wanted just how much fun or the personal interest someone had on the game I would either view a youtube rant or ask a friend. But I rather see DF on the technical or CGI on the graphical aspect of a game that are done mostly professionally or technically as possible.

I know,was just adding more information.

I am looking forward to the dunkview.

Last edited by Anonymous1796 - on 19 June 2020

Hiku said:
iron_megalith said:

Never said SkillUp had a different set of restrictions. But sure let's just it at that.

So if every reviewer has the same capability of being as critical as SkillUp, why did you mention the 'insane' restrictions?
Which SkillUp did not refer to as insane, but rare. He says they're not unique to TLOU2, and that he has reviewed a handful of games like that before.

You said "most reviews ended up praising all the time". But have you read through most of the 87 reviews?
Because it's their job to be critical. So if you actually read through the reviews, you should find plenty of it.

1. ‘Being critical involves seeing different sides of an argument and seeking to present a
balanced view.’
2. ‘Being critical means finding fault with the arguments, analyses, interpretations etc. of
others.’
3. ‘Being critical involves always supporting your arguments with clear factual evidence.’

Being critical does not mean being negative.
One reviewer can for example critique the gameplay the exact same way SkillUp did, but end up finding it more of a positive, because that part is subjective.
If they really liked the gameplay in TLOU1, and wanted more of the same, or more of the same with some extras, then they can chalk it up to something positive.
But if you didn't particularly like the gameplay before, like SKillUp, then you may need many substantial strides in the gameplay to view it as an overall positive.

iron_megalith said:

I'll wait for things to settle down at this point. There are scenarios where when the hype has died down, we get to hear more critical reviews. Also, I feel that the restriction on the reviews is a tad too much and just makes it harder for reviewers to express their opinion on the matter.

The restrictions mean they cant be specific when describing details from the second half of the game, but if they have negative feelings towards the gameplay or story, they will still express that and it will be reflected in the score.

I also don't quite understand why you're waiting for those other reviews. If you trust that your taste will match up with SkillUp, then you've already found the only thing that matters. A review that gives you a good idea of what you can expect.

Because it is clear to me that people are hyped about the game. It's not the first time this has happened.

DonFerrari said:
Bonzinga said:

A game that averages in the 80s, a 60 score could very well be reasonable. A game that averages 60 a 30 could be ok. It isn`t about the number in absolute but how it diverges of the average and the reasons for so

I actually agree with you in a way, I do believe reviewers need to base a game off its technical merits. Someone that hates JRPGs shouldn't just give a game a 2/10 just because they don't like the genre.. to an extent. I believe a reviewer should discuss a percentage of the game based off its merits and a small percentage off there own opinion if they personally like it or not as well. Giving a game a 7 is far from a bad score and maybe lower than the average for this game however the 7 is obviously giving the game credit in the fields it does right as well, they just fall a little harder on things they didn't like about the game compared to others and that's okay.

If all reviewers base their reviews only on the technical aspects of the games and how well they are engineered without having a personal taste or opinion added to there own scores than it defeats the purpose of having 100 reviewers as the scores will all be the same. Regardless, this game scored incredibly well, I don't know many people who would complain about a 90+ score.

So I've preordered on the PS store and for some reason I can't preload?

Anyone have any ideas?