Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts May 2020 Discussion Thread

Switch vs Wii is purely a matter of legs.
And it shouldn't be hard for the former to win in that respect, given the latter is a classic example of how to cut a system short prematurely.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Switch vs Wii is purely a matter of legs.
And it shouldn't be hard for the former to win in that respect, given the latter is a classic example of how to cut a system short prematurely.

Nintendo does a good job cutting a consoles lifespan short, especially with the Wii. I don't count the Wii U as the console was pretty much already dead after its first year. Though, Microsoft did it as well with the OG Xbox. I hope Nintendo supports the Switch for 6 or 7 years before releasing a new console - Super Switch / Switch Pro. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Read and share this article here.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - Close Race Through May 2020

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 141,297 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 46,338 - Switch

Total Lead: 368,586 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 14,836,935

PS3 Total Sales: 14,468,349

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 141,297 units when you align the launches of it with the PlayStation 3. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 46,338 units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 368,586 units.

The PlayStation 3 launched in in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

The 39th month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is May 2020 and for the PlayStation 3 it is May 2010. The Switch has sold 14.84 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 14.47 million units during the same timeframe.

The PlayStation 3 sold 34.99 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 20.15 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 141,297 units when you align the launches of it with the PlayStation 3. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 46,338 units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 368,586 units.

The PlayStation 3 launched in in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

The 39th month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is May 2020 and for the PlayStation 3 it is May 2010. The Switch has sold 14.84 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 14.47 million units during the same timeframe.

The PlayStation 3 sold 34.99 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 20.15 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

To sell competitively with any Playstation console in Europe is an impressive feat, it being the brand's stronghold.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

To sell competitively with any Playstation console in Europe is an impressive feat, it being the brand's stronghold.

The PS3 didn't exactly set the world on fire. Though PS1 in Europe did sell slightly worse than PS3 in Europe. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Hardware/EU/

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

The PS3 didn't exactly set the world on fire. Though PS1 in Europe did sell slightly worse than PS3 in Europe. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Hardware/EU/

The world no, but 34 million in Europe is still a considerable amount, so the fact Switch is keeping pace is a good sign.