Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts May 2020 Discussion Thread

Read and share this article here.

PS4 vs DS Sales Comparison – DS Lead Shrinks in May 2020

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 482,475 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,631,276 – DS

Total Lead: 33,721,925 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 110,984,796

DS Total Sales: 144,706,731

May 2020 is the 79th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared with the Nintendo DS during the same timeframe by 482,475 units. However, the Nintendo DS has grown its lead over the PlayStation 4 in the last 12 months by 3.63 million units. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 33.72 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

The 79th month on sale for the PlayStation 4 is May 2020, while for the Nintendo DS it is May 2011. The PlayStation 4 has sold 110.98 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 144.71 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 154.02 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 is currently 43.04 million units behind the lifetime sales of the Nintendo DS.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Read and share this article here.

PS4 vs PS3 in Japan Sales Comparison – PS4 Lead Shrinks in May 2020

PS4 Vs. PS3 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 23,368 – PS3

Gap change over last 12 months: 200,743 – PS3

Total Lead: 21,802 – PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 9,132,198

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 9,110,396

May 2020 is the 75th month of the PlayStation 4 being on sale in Japan. The gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 3 by 23,368 units in the last month and in favor of the PlayStation 3 by 200,743 units in the last 12 months. The PlayStation 4 currently leads by just 21,802 units.

The PlayStation 3 launched in November 2006, while the PlayStation 4 launched in February 2014. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

The 76th month for the PlayStation 4 is May 2020, while for the PlayStation 3 it is February 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 9.13 million units, while its predecessor the PlayStation 3 sold 9.11 million units.

The PS3 sold 10.47 million units lifetime in Japan. The PS4 is currently 1.34 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS3.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Read and share this article here.

PS4 vs PS3 in Japan Sales Comparison – PS4 Lead Shrinks in May 2020

PS4 Vs. PS3 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 23,368 – PS3

Gap change over last 12 months: 200,743 – PS3

Total Lead: 21,802 – PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 9,132,198

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 9,110,396

May 2020 is the 75th month of the PlayStation 4 being on sale in Japan. The gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 3 by 23,368 units in the last month and in favor of the PlayStation 3 by 200,743 units in the last 12 months. The PlayStation 4 currently leads by just 21,802 units.

The PlayStation 3 launched in November 2006, while the PlayStation 4 launched in February 2014. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

The 76th month for the PlayStation 4 is May 2020, while for the PlayStation 3 it is February 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 9.13 million units, while its predecessor the PlayStation 3 sold 9.11 million units.

The PS3 sold 10.47 million units lifetime in Japan. The PS4 is currently 1.34 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS3.

Neck and neck still, but given PS4 got much better Japanese support than PS3 (namely mainline Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest) and sold much better globally, a mediocre result.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Read and share this article here.

PS4 vs PS3 in Japan Sales Comparison – PS4 Lead Shrinks in May 2020

PS4 Vs. PS3 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 23,368 – PS3

Gap change over last 12 months: 200,743 – PS3

Total Lead: 21,802 – PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 9,132,198

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 9,110,396

May 2020 is the 75th month of the PlayStation 4 being on sale in Japan. The gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 3 by 23,368 units in the last month and in favor of the PlayStation 3 by 200,743 units in the last 12 months. The PlayStation 4 currently leads by just 21,802 units.

The PlayStation 3 launched in November 2006, while the PlayStation 4 launched in February 2014. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

The 76th month for the PlayStation 4 is May 2020, while for the PlayStation 3 it is February 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 9.13 million units, while its predecessor the PlayStation 3 sold 9.11 million units.

The PS3 sold 10.47 million units lifetime in Japan. The PS4 is currently 1.34 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS3.

Neck and neck still, but given PS4 got much better Japanese support than PS3 (namely mainline Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest) and sold much better globally, a mediocre result.

Japan has become Nintendo land, much like mainland Europe is mainly Sony land. PS4 in the end will likely fall short of the PS3 in Japan. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Read and share this article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison – Switch Closes the Gap in May 2020

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 241,098 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,182,018– Switch

Total Lead: 1,963,006 – 3DS

Switch Total Sales: 13,597,741

3DS Total Sales: 15,671,182

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap to the 3DS by 341,098 units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 1.18 million units. The 3DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 1.96 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

The 39th month for the Switch is May 2020, while for the 3DS it is April 2014. The Switch has sold 13.60 million units, while the 3DS sold 15.67 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS has sold 24.61 million units lifetime in Japan through May 2020. The Switch is currently 11.01 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Read and share this article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison – Switch Closes the Gap in May 2020

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 241,098 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,182,018– Switch

Total Lead: 1,963,006 – 3DS

Switch Total Sales: 13,597,741

3DS Total Sales: 15,671,182

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap to the 3DS by 341,098 units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 1.18 million units. The 3DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 1.96 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

The 39th month for the Switch is May 2020, while for the 3DS it is April 2014. The Switch has sold 13.60 million units, while the 3DS sold 15.67 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS has sold 24.61 million units lifetime in Japan through May 2020. The Switch is currently 11.01 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

3DS had already peaked a couple of years ago by this point.  Meanwhile Switch is currently outpacing itself YoY by a massive amount in Japan.  It's already up over 1 million.  If Switch can keep up the pace then it will catch 3DS in Japan by the end of the year.  



Yeah I reckon this will be a tortoise and the hare situation, with Switch having better legs than 3DS.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Read and share this article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Tops 2 Million in May 2020

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 457,845 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,925,730 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,108,772 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 19,980,811

PS4 Total Sales: 17,872,039

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 457,845 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months the Switch has grown its lead by 2.93 million units. The Switch currently leads by 2.11 million units.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 39th month on sale for the Switch is May 2020, while for the PS4 it is January 2017. The Switch has sold 19.98 million units, while the PS4 sold 17.87 million units during the same timeframe. The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 47 where it sold a total of 20.16 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 79 months in the US and has sold 33.34 million units in the country. The Switch is currently 13.36 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Read and share this article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Tops 2 Million in May 2020

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 457,845 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,925,730 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,108,772 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 19,980,811

PS4 Total Sales: 17,872,039

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 457,845 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months the Switch has grown its lead by 2.93 million units. The Switch currently leads by 2.11 million units.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 39th month on sale for the Switch is May 2020, while for the PS4 it is January 2017. The Switch has sold 19.98 million units, while the PS4 sold 17.87 million units during the same timeframe. The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 47 where it sold a total of 20.16 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 79 months in the US and has sold 33.34 million units in the country. The Switch is currently 13.36 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.

Well, the old double helix is well and truly broken at this point; even the downswing in Switch's lead (first graph) that usually comes after each peak has been reversed. Switch will win this one I think.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Well, the old double helix is well and truly broken at this point; even the downswing has been reversed. Switch will win this one I think.

What is interesting is comparing the US and worldwide sales of the Switch vs PS4 charts. They both look fairly similar. Though, in the end Switch is going to finish ahead in North America and WAY ahead in Japan, but be behind in most of Europe. Switch will likely outsell the PS4 in the UK and France.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.