By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will/Can the PS4 Outsell the PS2? - Analysis - Sales

It's not going to happen, the PS2 sales were extremely inflated by the fact that the PS3 had a disastrous launch selling at 600$, so many people in regions primarily dominated by Playstation and beyond decided to go for the much cheaper PS2 which was still getting good multi-plat support after the PS3 launched, it doesn't seem like PS5 is going to do anything crazy like the PS3 and will launch at a more affordable price( With Regards To Inflation), so it doesn't seem like the many people will settle getting just a PS4 when a PS5 likely won't be much more expensive once it launches.

Another reason is that PS4 isn't anywhere near as dominant as the PS2 was before in certain regions, Japan's gaming landscape over the past 20 years has completely changed with many moving to mobile devices with dedicated home consoles becoming very niche in that region, during the PS2 era console gaming in Japan was still somewhat relevant, now it's very niche. PS4 will likely end up with 10M sold in Japan compared to the PS2's 23M

Even in NA, while the PS4 is still certainly selling very well over there, I still have find it unlikely that PS4 will be as dominant in NA as the PS2 was before, and I think it's cause of increased competition in NA. Back in the PS2 era, to most people the PS2 was legitimately the only console Americans went to for 3rd Party Support, the Gamecube wasn't getting much and while the OG Xbox was getting 3rd Party Support, it was Microsoft's first console so developers and consumers weren't really as willing to try an Xbox over a trusted name brand like Playstation. The PS4 however is dealing with far more competition in NA with Xbox being big primarily in NA and many are likely choosing an Xbox One over the PS4, which is the reason why I dont think PS4 will have the same success sales wise in NA as the PS2 had.