By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [RUMOR] According to Xbox fan Microsoft will rebrand Xbox Series X to " SEGA Series X " in JAPAN, EDIT: Sega announcing " Arcade cloud " Cloud gaming for Arcade store

Tagged games:

What do you think " if " this is tru

Unexpected 15 38.46%

I always do love Sega more than Xbox 11 28.21%

I hate it , i want Xbox name keep as it is 4 10.26%

Some fans don't have loyalty at all 1 2.56%

I love Sega and Xbox equally 7 17.95%

Actually i love Xbox beca... 1 2.56%

Total:39

Something smells, probably the bullshit

Around the Network

This isn't happening for a couple of reasons:
1) Series X is already announced as Xbox Series X in Japan with no SEGA involved. Does anyone think they will change it last minute? https://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/consoles/xbox-series-x
2) I don't see much benefit for both sides. SEGA gets a lot of money from MS, sure. But instead they would be obligated to bring all their games to additional platform which they could have skipped before that. It also removes an ability to partner with Sony or Nintendo for timed exclusivity for them which can also bring a lot of money. MS will get an increase in one of the biggest Japanese publishers support but it will come at a huge cost for them I guess, so not so sure if they are willing to invest that much into it. Also, seems like SEGA is not the best partner to choose as SEGA has been pretty good already with Xbox support even during Xbox One gen.

On the other hand, I still expect some partnership between MS and SEGA because there has been a few rumors about it but I don't expect it to be hardware related at all.

Seems pointless if they're still planning to release games on Sony and Nintendo's systems. As a console name, I can't imagine the SEGA name having much goodwill after their last two systems failed two decade ago.

4 ≈ One

The only way this makes sense is if Microsoft bought SEGA. SEGA isn’t going to slap their brand on something they have no control of. I think it would be awesome if Microsoft did buy sega, as they are just about the most aimless company in gaming and they are sitting on a treasure trove of IP’s. Not going to happen though, at least not like this. First of all, that is too much money to throw at gaming. Even when Microsoft went on a buying spree last couple of years, they didn’t buy anything big. They were all small studios. If they were buying sega, it wouldn’t be a secret, it would be all over the news, it’s too big of a purchase to hide for a gaming event.

Somebody should buy SEGA from Sammy though...

shikamaru317 said:
hinch said:
Stupid rumour is stupid. The SEGA name is pretty irrelevant in Japan why would MS even do this. Nope.

You are thinking of Sega Mega Drive and Sega Dreamcast only. Sega Saturn sold quite well in Japan, even though it was only on the market for 4 years before it's successor was released, it managed to sell 5.8m units in Japan. That is nearly 4x more than the bestselling Xbox console in Japan, Xbox 360, which sold 1.6m. 

Also Sega has several IP's that are fairly popular in Japan, which MS could potentially get as timed Xbox exclusives to help push the system (as well as xCloud) in Japan, including Persona, Yakuza, and Sakura Wars.

Thanks for proving my point. That was how many years ago? Like over 20. And Saturn was a catastrophic failure.

Have to ask why would proud Japanese company even think about being bought out by a foreign company. On their 60th anniversary at that.

Again, dumb.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
hinch said:

Thanks for proving my point. That was how many years ago? Like over 20. And Saturn was a catastrophic failure.

Have to ask why would proud Japanese company even think about being bought out by a foreign company. On their 60th anniversary at that.

Again, dumb.

Nothing here says they are being bought out. This may simply be a partnership, much like the Tencent-Nintendo partnership in China, where Tencent markets and sells the Switch for Nintendo. 

Well sell out, was I meant to say. Its still doesn't make sense, at all.

I digress. Wait a few days.. this is one of those stupid rumours.

Captain_Yuri said:
KLXVER said:
Well MS would need to do something this drastic to get anywhere in Japan. The XB1 numbers are pathetic there to say the least.

Would mean they also got Atlus, so that would be huge for them. Persona 6 a Series X exclusive.

The internet would go insane

All that chaos and rage though. I already saw ppl like Jaytechtv lose their collective shit over HZD, imagine Persona 6, it'd be a bloodbath of endless rage.

We all know it's never going to happen though, but can you imagine?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

shikamaru317 said:
hinch said:

Again, dumb.

Nothing here says they are being bought out. This may simply be a partnership, much like the Tencent-Nintendo partnership in China, where Tencent markets and sells the Switch for Nintendo. 

That's the bad example. Not sure if anyone would want a partnership like Tencent-Nintendo has. There is only 5 games in total there available on Switch which in my opinion shows that Tencent is making a terrible job at selling Switch in China.

Leynos said:
This is dumb and desperate. Why not just try to get Nintendo more appeal in the west by naming it Atari? SEGA has not made a console in 20 years. An entire generation grew up without them. Nothing says SEGA console-like Halo as a launch title that is also on Xbox One. So this just sounds stupid.

First let me start by saying this is unlikely. The rumor is going by the logic MS would use Sega as the face of the system in Japan to appeal to Japanese customers... because Sega is actually pretty relevant in Japan.

It would also suggest Series X would be getting unique support that would justify using Sega as the face. It actually wouldn't be a terrible idea if they wanted to grow the Xbox brand in Japan, but again it just seems unlikely.

More importantly, I don't see Japan as a market worth fighting for. In the grand scheme, its a small niche market. Not worth pouring resources into. At best I would simply suggest MS encourages and perhaps fund ports of Japanese games, then put them on Gamepass. I suspect they may be doing that already. If they want to do that and use Sega as their face in Japan, I guess that would be fine.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

On second thought, the nerdrage of Persona as an Xbox franchise does make me smile like a madman, so I say go for it.