By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [RUMOR] According to Xbox fan Microsoft will rebrand Xbox Series X to " SEGA Series X " in JAPAN, EDIT: Sega announcing " Arcade cloud " Cloud gaming for Arcade store

Tagged games:

What do you think " if " this is tru

Unexpected 15 38.46%

I always do love Sega more than Xbox 11 28.21%

I hate it , i want Xbox name keep as it is 4 10.26%

Some fans don't have loyalty at all 1 2.56%

I love Sega and Xbox equally 7 17.95%

Actually i love Xbox beca... 1 2.56%

Total:39
NobleTeam360 said:
I think some people seem to be confusing this as MS buying Sega when in fact it's basically just MS using Sega's name instead of Xbox's name in Japan, Sega would still be multiplatform (PS4, Switch, PC, Xbox and whatever else).

Why would that rile the industry up? How would that even help Xbox? 

Unless they get exclusivity deal with SEGA to have all their games only come to Xbox/PC, I don't get why the simple Sega Series X would sell better than Xbox Series X. I refuse to believe Japanese consumers would be so easily manipulated to buy merchandise.

Around the Network

Stupid as it may seem, I would be far more likely to by the Sega Series X, even if everything else about it was exactly the same.

From Jeff Grubb a journalist from Venturebeat.  

shikamaru317 said:
JWeinCom said:
Stupid as it may seem, I would be far more likely to by the Sega Series X, even if everything else about it was exactly the same.

You're not alone. I've spoken to several people who said they would import the Sega Series X if it is real, instead of buying an Xbox Series X from their home market. I myself might buy the Sega version if it is real. There is no region locking, so the only disadvantage is paying a higher price for shipping. 

I dunno if I'd pay more for it.  Nostalgia is one thing, but I'm also cheap.

Pemalite said:
mjk45 said:

Actually MS market cap is lower than than Australia's GDP but it's only around a 100 billion behind, and Market cap isn't the best indicator of a companies capacity to spend money it can go up and down a lot faster than gdp. after all MS went from 800 billion down to 250 billion before rebounding to today's numbers but it's purchasing capacity remained steady, still your point still stands, I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue against MS's capacity to pay that amount or even more.the catch is the xbox division is worth a fraction of that market cap and any expenditure would have to be seen from that perspective,so it really comes down to a business case and that's why we don't see companies making purchases just because they can.

My read of this is if it turns out true, is it would consist of a marketing/ branding deal covering Japan with SEGA making all their games be available on the SEGA branded console first along with gamepass day one availability,it may even see some games become exclusive in Japan.

Microsoft is at 1.39 Trillion today.

IMF/International Monetary Fund lists Australia at 1.27 Trillion.

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2020/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=68&pr.y=10&sy=2017&ey=2021&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=193&s=NGDP_RPCH%2CPPPGDP%2CPCPIPCH&grp=0&a=

And:
https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2019/02/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=89&pr.y=0&sy=2016&ey=2021&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=193&s=NGDP_RPCH%2CNGDPD%2CPPPGDP%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPPC%2CPCPIPCH&grp=0&a=

Otherwise, you are right of course. Hence why I stated "Food for Thought". - The point trying to be conveyed is that $5 billion is relatively small stuff for Microsoft when they have a $1.4~ Trillion dollar market cap, $140~ Billion dollars in the bank and revenues that exceed $125~ Billion.

Market cap is the number that investors think a company is worth and companies with a reliable track record of consistent growth and who have substantial cash reserves tend to be worth more due to their ability to make their stocks more valuable at the drop of a hat.

vonny said:

They could also buy both Sony and Nintendo and no blink an eye and have a real monopoly in the video game market, there's a reason they don't and it's the same reason why this rumor is nonsense.  

Pretty sure Japan has some extremely strict market rules and regulations that prevents overseas organisations/businesses/governments from buying up everything willy nilly, Japan is actually pretty Pro-Japan, so lots of scrutiny happens.
A Microsoft-Nintendo or Microsoft-Sony merger would thus likely be blocked on anti-competition grounds for example.

The GDP figures vary the world bank and UN have it at 1.47 trillion and the IMF has a history of lower GDP figures across the board compared to the other institutions s

but that most likely comes down to accounting differences, anyway comparing GDP and market cap is apples to oranges but it does show how much market value the big tech giants hold and we both  agree that 1.4 trillion buys a lot of fruit.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Wouldn't be a bad play for MS. Probably costs them little and Sega is still an active, visible brand in Japan if you've ever been there.

There are tons of "SEGA" branded amusement centers and arcades that are still popular, plus their console history, plus the possibility of some Sega IP ... when you have nothing to lose, there's no problem in taking a risk.

So it seems it won't be related to Microsoft according to Industry analyst and insider Daniel Ahmad A.K.A ZhugeEX

HollyGamer said:

So it seems it won't be related to Microsoft according to Industry analyst and insider Daniel Ahmad A.K.A ZhugeEX

If this is true, the rumor that Sony has something with Sega seems stronger... or Nintendo with Sega

Ryotsu said:
HollyGamer said:

If this is true, the rumor that Sony has something with Sega seems stronger... or Nintendo with Sega

Yup , or it could be worse Amazon or Google buy Sega LOL 

HollyGamer said:
Ryotsu said:

Yup , or it could be worse Amazon or Google buy Sega LOL 

Yes, maybe