Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Star Fox game would you recommend?

Is it controversial to say that I enjoyed both "Zero" and "Command"?

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods – Bit Sized, Episode 4

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

Also false. Miyamoto produced every Star Fox game, not just Zero.

Yeah but back when he produced the SNES and 64 games he was still a genius and hadn't yet lost his touch.

But that's beside my point. My point is he didn't "start meddling with the franchise during game X" because it's been his creation from the beginning of the franchise. There are a few times where the license was given out, but those games are even less noteworthy than Star Fox Zero.

Also, you're basically saying: "Hey, I don't like one of the recent games you produced, you're no longer a genius. Even though I do love several other of the games you produced recently."

Star Fox, as a franchise, has often been used as a vessel of showing off unique mechanics, it's kind of like Steel Diver in that way. Lylat Wars was an exceptional title, but is not the rule; no other game in the franchise shone even close to as bright as that one. The quality of Star Fox Zero is on par with the rest of the franchise. The only really fair argument I see is that outside of Lylat Wars, Miyamoto hasn't been that good with Star Fox games.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

StuOhQ said:
Is it controversial to say that I enjoyed both "Zero" and "Command"?

I don't think it should be. I mean, people enjoyed other Star Fox games besides Lylat Wars, too.

The only ones I really couldn't get into were Star Fox 1 and 2 on SNES. As far as I'm concerned, those games are as playable as bad NES games from the earlier half of the generation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah but back when he produced the SNES and 64 games he was still a genius and hadn't yet lost his touch.

But that's beside my point. My point is he didn't "start meddling with the franchise during game X" because it's been his creation from the beginning of the franchise. There are a few times where the license was given out, but those games are even less noteworthy than Star Fox Zero.

Also, you're basically saying: "Hey, I don't like one of the recent games you produced, you're no longer a genius. Even though I do love several other of the games you produced recently."

Star Fox, as a franchise, has often been used as a vessel of showing off unique mechanics, it's kind of like Steel Diver in that way. Lylat Wars was an exceptional title, but is not the rule; no other game in the franchise shone even close to as bright as that one. The quality of Star Fox Zero is on par with the rest of the franchise. The only really fair argument I see is that outside of Lylat Wars, Miyamoto hasn't been that good with Star Fox games.

It's much more than one game, Miyamoto's almost sole value for the past decade has been in a hands-off role of executive producer and such. His influence in hardware design contributed to the gimmicky designs of the Wii U and 3DS, and stuff like Project Giant Robot/Guard and comments on not wanting to make an F-Zero unless he can come up with a new gimmick for it, as well as Zero, show he's too consumed by the pursuit of toy-like novelty for its own sake.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 May 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Miyamoto wasn't "meddling" with Star Fox 1, 2, or 64, because he was the director of those games. They were very much his thing, really.

You say someone's "meddling" with something when they intrude into something that's not really theirs. Which is what happened with Adventures. I suppose going by that definition, we can't really use Zero as an example, but it is one of those where everyone knows it'd have turned out a far better game had Miyamoto stayed away and let Platinum do their thing.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

The closest thing to a good Starfox game since 1997 is the Switch version of Starlink

Except for the fact it's nothing like a Star Fox game

Nothing? Thats a bit of hyperole dont u think? U dont think the space pirate battles or hideout battles in starlink were anything like an "all range mode" encounter from 64?

my controversial pick: Star Fox Assault

CarcharodonKraz said:
mZuzek said:

Except for the fact it's nothing like a Star Fox game

Nothing? Thats a bit of hyperole dont u think? U dont think the space pirate battles or hideout battles in starlink were anything like an "all range mode" encounter from 64?

Thematically, they're close I guess, but the gameplay is nothing alike. It always felt like I was just mashing buttons in Starlink, press whatever until HP goes down, rinse and repeat. In Star Fox games there's usually a lot more nuance, the gameplay is snappy, movement feels good, your individual shots feel like they matter. Each button press means something, I think I can say that even for worse Star Fox games like Assault or Zero. In Starlink every battle was just a grind, honestly.

Star Fox 64. Everyone else is wrong :)