By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios

 

Which Sony studio do you like the most?

Bend Studio 0 0%
 
Guerrilla Games 10 15.38%
 
Insomniac Games 5 7.69%
 
Japan Studio 7 10.77%
 
Media Molecule 2 3.08%
 
Naughty Dog 24 36.92%
 
Polyphony Digital 4 6.15%
 
Santa Monica 10 15.38%
 
Sucker Punch 2 3.08%
 
Other 1 1.54%
 
Total:65
Pok87 said:
Looking at which Sony studios will soon release PS5 games, you can easy to cross out:
Bend Studio, Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch.

So they stay:
- Guerrilla Games (Horizon 2)
- Insomniac Games (maybe a new Ratchet?)
- Japan Studio (Knack 3, Gravity Rush 3 or new IP)
- Polyphony Digital (GT7)

Naughty Dog are working on their MP game (which broke off from TLoU2).

San Diego will have MLB wthin the first 6 months of PS5. 

London Studios I think is a wild card. Possible but probably not.

And of course Japan Studios, San Mateo and XDeV all work with external partners for exclusive games. 

sales2099 said:
twintail said:

Bot Bend and Media Molecule are fine. Day's Gone has been mentioned in the past few PS financials as helping boost profit gains around the time of it's release.

I can see Studio Japan helping another team make PSBR2. But they didn't spend the PS4 gen working towards that I feel. Their goal is def towards becoming a Guerrilla or Santa Monica esque studio. The Silent Hill rumours point towards this (that is if it's true)

There's nothing to be concerned about. MM have been consistently making profit ever since the release of LBP. Their financial statement ending Mar 2019 reveals profit for at least the last 3 years. This was before the release of Dreams Early Access in April, and the final release in Feb 2020. Older statements receal profit earnings.

People seem to always think that MM is in some critical situation when in fact they are a finally secured studio.

How would that be possible given their last title LBP 3 released in 2014? 

Well Tearaway in 2015 but I get what you mean.

Contractual agreements with Sony based on activity progress and milestones.

The selling of, and royalties from, their games, and DLC.



Around the Network
sales2099 said:
twintail said:

Bot Bend and Media Molecule are fine. Day's Gone has been mentioned in the past few PS financials as helping boost profit gains around the time of it's release.

I can see Studio Japan helping another team make PSBR2. But they didn't spend the PS4 gen working towards that I feel. Their goal is def towards becoming a Guerrilla or Santa Monica esque studio. The Silent Hill rumours point towards this (that is if it's true)

There's nothing to be concerned about. MM have been consistently making profit ever since the release of LBP. Their financial statement ending Mar 2019 reveals profit for at least the last 3 years. This was before the release of Dreams Early Access in April, and the final release in Feb 2020. Older statements receal profit earnings.

People seem to always think that MM is in some critical situation when in fact they are a finally secured studio.

How would that be possible given their last title LBP 3 released in 2014? 

games don't stop generating revenue the day they release



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

How would that be possible given their last title LBP 3 released in 2014? 

games don't stop generating revenue the day they release

Oh you so funnnnny. The game sold what approx 2 million, I didn’t think that would be enough to sustain the dev costs plus 5 years going forward. But if the financials check out then nm 



Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

games don't stop generating revenue the day they release

Oh you so funnnnny. The game sold what approx 2 million, I didn’t think that would be enough to sustain the dev costs plus 5 years going forward. But if the financials check out then nm 

No need for the sarcasm. But anyway as I was gonna' say... it also had a fuck ton of DLC costume packs and stuff that I imagine brought in quite a bit of money over the years too



sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

games don't stop generating revenue the day they release

Oh you so funnnnny. The game sold what approx 2 million, I didn’t think that would be enough to sustain the dev costs plus 5 years going forward. But if the financials check out then nm 

The development of LittleBigPlanet 3 was not really expensive. Sony never inteded it to be a huge financial success, it was just released to make the holidays line-up stronger in 2014. Dreams was always the big project of Media Molecule since 2013, the problem was that development for that game just took so long. 



Around the Network

Santa Monica. Naughty Dog is not far behind.



4 ≈ One

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Guerilla has 2 teams? Then why are there 4 year gaps between games? 
Even so, I doubt it. Looking at KZ sales vs Horizon which arguably outsold the entire KZ franchise with one game, it’s clear Sony knows what their fans want. “Single player story driven 3rd person action adventure”. Seems to be the main recipe for their top games. PS gamers seem to not get enough of this so a FPS seems out of the cards right now. 

From what I remember they created a new team after HZD.

That's right, the studio expanded after Horizon Zero Dawn's - success :)

axumblade said:
Insomniac but I also love Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch.

Cant wait of the Future :) The Last of Us 2 this month and Ghost of Tsushima next month, we live in the heaven - currently = ) Love this studios.



"The Last of Us 2" is officially Game of the Year 2020, worldwide. Ghost of Tsushima-Artwork:

Last gen probably Naughty Dog. This Gen I don't really know. I loved what SM did with GoW, loved what Insomniac did with Spiderman, loved what Guerilla did with Horizon and loved Japan Studio for Astro Bot, TLG and Knack. ND fucked up the amazing theme song in Uncharted 4 which peed me off so I'm left them off, but even then I loved U4 and Lost Legacy.

Don't think I can choose one to be honest.



Truthstation said:
sales2099 said:

Oh you so funnnnny. The game sold what approx 2 million, I didn’t think that would be enough to sustain the dev costs plus 5 years going forward. But if the financials check out then nm 

The development of LittleBigPlanet 3 was not really expensive. Sony never intended it to be a huge financial success, it was just released to make the holidays line-up stronger in 2014. Dreams was always the big project of Media Molecule since 2013, the problem was that development for that game just took so long. 

MM was started by ex Lionshead developers, and has never had a large workforce in fact it is a core philosophy of the studio not to be big, for much of LBP's development the team size was around 12 or so people and was increased to 24 just after the finish moving to 37 a few months later. even today there are just 57 employees, so they are a lean machine and it's that model that affords them the luxury of being able to take their time to experiment and iterate while keeping to  a budget that meant 1.1 million pounds profit for 2019 and equity of 33 million .

An interesting aside Ninja Theory after struggling with the same headwinds that prevail in the industry regarding independents and the one game to the next   existence  went with a similar strategy that they called independent AAA where they moved to a small 20 person studio but retained AAA values  so it shows that profitability has more than one template.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 07 June 2020