By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts April 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Switch continues to prove itself less frontloaded than its predecessors. Gonna breeze passed their combined lifetime sales with ease, almost certainly by the end of next year.

Wii U sales from here on out are almost zero, leaving 3DS standing alone and passed its peak.

The third graph really shows the slowing of the sales for the 3DS and Wii U.

Exactly, while Switch is trending ever upwards. With demand still so high it's facing shortages all over the globe, Nintendo moving to boost production this year, and plenty of room for future price cuts, revisions, and bundles, there's no sign of it flattening out any time soon either.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

The third graph really shows the slowing of the sales for the 3DS and Wii U.

Exactly, while Switch is trending ever upwards. With demand still so high it's facing shortages all over the globe, Nintendo moving to boost production this year, and plenty of room for future price cuts, revisions, and bundles, there's no sign of it flattening out any time soon either.

Now what kind of legs will the Switch have? 100 million? 125 million? 150 million? 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Now what kind of legs will the Switch have? 100 million? 125 million? 150 million? 

The way I see it, 100 million is a given, 125 million is unlikely, 150 million highly unlikely.

110 million or so sounds about right.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

The way I see it, 100 million is a given, 125 million is unlikely, 150 million highly unlikely.

You never know. Nothing is out of the question right now. I do agree around 110 million is probably the most likely outcome for the Switch. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

You never know. Nothing is out of the question right now. I do agree around 110 million is probably the most likely outcome for the Switch. 

Hence why I didn't say out of the question, just unlikely. ;)

It'll still outsell Wii and PS1 and wind up the #5 best selling system of all time, by my estimates.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

It'll still outsell Wii and PS1 and wind up the #5 best selling system of all time, by my estimates.

So you don't see it outselling the PS4? 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

No. While it's ahead for now I think PS4 will have better legs and thus cruise to a higher final total.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

No. While it's ahead for now I think PS4 will have better legs and thus cruise to a higher final total.

It all depends on Nintendo. The GameBoy and DS had good legs. And Nintendo is only developing for one platform now, instead of two. While there is no new Pokemon game this year, I'd expect one to come out in holiday 2021. Probably, a remake of an older title or a Sword and Shield 2. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

It all depends on Nintendo. The GameBoy and DS had good legs. And Nintendo is only developing for one platform now, instead of two. While there is no new Pokemon game this year, I'd expect one to come out in holiday 2021. Probably, a remake of an older title or a Sword and Shield 2. 

It's not that I expect Switch to have bad legs, just not quite as long as PS4's. We'll see.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

It's not that I expect Switch to have bad legs, just not quite as long as PS4's. We'll see.

I guess generally speaking Sony's consoles has better legs than Nintendo's. Obviously, not always the case.