By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts April 2020 Discussion Thread

yo33331 said:
also let's make new comparisons such as switch vs xbox 360 in europe, or switch vs ps3 in europe (ps4 is way ahead that's why I give PS3 for example, and 360 too, since it's quite ahead of switch and it should be interesting)

I haven't done the PS4 vs 360 in the US yet. As for your suggestions I'll take a look and see if they make sense to do. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

and just looked at now, PS4 vs DS in europe, would be very interesting too, they are only 7M apart, so it will be very close and interesting to watch

trunkswd said:

Read and share this article here

PS4 vs Wii in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – April 2020

PlayStation 4 Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 333,281 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,270,981 – PS4

Total Lead: 7,887,078 – Wii

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 33,113,899

Wii Total Sales: 41,000,977

April 2020 is the 78th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared with the Nintendo Wii during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 has caught up to the Wii by 333,281 units and in the last 12 months outsold the Wii by 2.27 million units. The Wii currently leads by 7.89 million units.

Both consoles launched in November in the US. The Wii launched in November 2006, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holidays for the two consoles do lineup.

The 78th months for the PlayStation 4 is April 2020, while for the Wii it is April 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 33.11 million units, while the Wii sold 41.00 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold units 41.70 million lifetime in the US, therefore the PlayStation 4 needs to sell another 8.59 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the Wii.

Not much to add since last month really; it'll be close, but Wii will most likely come out ahead as PS4 is about to be replaced.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

With replacing the old console the sales don't magically stop.
8M is not impossible to be made for another 5 years (which will assumabely be the left life of PS4 on the market).
So it is more 50/50 situation, however with this year moderate sales, and at least 1 more price cut on the system I can see PS4 come just barely above the wii total US sales.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 29 May 2020

yo33331 said:

With replacing the old console the sales don't magically stop.
8M is not impossible to be made for another 5 years (which will assumabely be the left life of PS4 on the market).
So it is more 50/50 situation, however with this year moderate sales, and at least 1 more price cut on the system I can see PS4 come just barely above the wii total US sales.

It's certainly possible, I just don't think it's the most likely outcome as Sony don't seem to be much interested in aggressively reducing PS4's price, and such cuts tend to make a bigger difference midway through a console's life rather than near the end of it.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Read and share this article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – April 2020

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 146,072 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,369,851 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,006,350 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 19,251,426

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 17,245,076

April 2020 is the 38th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe by 146,072 units. In the last 12 months the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 2.37 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS and Wii U by 2.01 million units.

The 3DS launched in March 2011 in the US and the Wii U launched in November 2012, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 38th month for the Nintendo Switch is April 2020, for the Nintendo 3DS it is April 2014 and for the Wii U it is December 2015. The Switch has sold 19.25 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 17.25 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 46.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold a combined 28.85 million units in the US. The Switch is currently 9.60 million units behind. The Wii U has been off the market for a few years, while the 3DS is still on the market. However, 3DS sales have shrunk considerably and is selling well under 10,000 units per week.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

April 2020 is the 38th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe by 146,072 units. In the last 12 months the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 2.37 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS and Wii U by 2.01 million units.

The 3DS launched in March 2011 in the US and the Wii U launched in November 2012, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 38th month for the Nintendo Switch is April 2020, for the Nintendo 3DS it is April 2014 and for the Wii U it is December 2015. The Switch has sold 19.25 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 17.25 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 46.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold a combined 28.85 million units in the US. The Switch is currently 9.60 million units behind. The Wii U has been off the market for a few years, while the 3DS is still on the market. However, 3DS sales have shrunk considerably and is selling well under 10,000 units per week.

Sayonara suckers; Switch is going to smash the benchmark many set for it by arguing that as a successor to both platforms it had to outsell them combined to succeed.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have lift off.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Sayonara suckers; Switch is going to smash the benchmark many set for it by arguing that as a successor to both platforms it had to outsell them combined to succeed.

Lead should only be growing from here on out. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Lead should only be growing from here on out. 

Pretty much, I don't think Wii U even sells a million in the US from this point onwards, so it's all just 3DS now, and that was also passed its peak by year 4.