By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned - December 2023 Update

Kakadu18 said:
S.Peelman said:

Mario Kart 8 is ridiculous, that game actually accelerates year after year. I wouldn't dare predict a final number for that game anymore. It's basically having an opposite sales curve of the usual game.

It actually sold a bit less in 2021 than in 2020, but still almost 10mil.

Ow did it? Then the graph on the first page deceives my eyes, it's probably the stellar holiday that makes it look like the 2021 line is steeper.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Kakadu18 said:

It actually sold a bit less in 2021 than in 2020, but still almost 10mil.

Ow did it? Then the graph on the first page deceives my eyes, it's probably the stellar holiday that makes it look like the 2021 line is steeper.

Yeah, this holiday was it's biggest quarter. The previous quarter was way down YoY though.

Amazing stuff. Sales are the best indicator of quality. Even the WiiU was a success if you consider it a HD Wii.

S.Peelman said:

Mario Kart 8 is ridiculous, that game actually accelerates year after year. I wouldn't dare predict a final number for that game anymore. It's basically having an opposite sales curve of the usual game.

It's like the game itself. It starts it's sales in 50cc mode and ends in reverse 200cc mode

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Now updated for the December report.

Well here it is, I finally split it into 3 charts to avoid making them too crowded; which games goes in what chart might change with time. I've decided to name the highest tier "Top Dogs" as "Super Heavyweights" just felt too long :D
2 new entries - Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Superstars both being put into the middle chart - if Super Mario Party is anything to judge by Superstars will have a long and healthy life ahead of it. On the other hand I expect BD/SP to have a sales curve similair to Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, so despite a very strong start I doubt it will reach the same heights as the biggest titles.

In other news:
- We got an update on Luigi's Mansion 3 numbers and it's actually keeping a strong pace.
- The holidays kept Super Mario Odyssey from falling behind BotW launch aligned, so the 2 are neck and neck for now.
- Super Mario Party, while still going strong, had a much weaker holiday after the launch of Superstars (around 0.9 mil shipped down from 1.7 last year)

With the current lineup there should be several new entries this year (Arceus, Splatoon 3, BotW Sequel and, assuming it performs well, Kirby and the Forgotten Land), so it'll be interesting to see how they all do.

Any chance of getting a legend?  I can tell what most of them are, but SMP and RFA in particular don't immediately stand out.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Now updated for the December report.

Well here it is, I finally split it into 3 charts to avoid making them too crowded; which games goes in what chart might change with time. I've decided to name the highest tier "Top Dogs" as "Super Heavyweights" just felt too long :D
2 new entries - Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Superstars both being put into the middle chart - if Super Mario Party is anything to judge by Superstars will have a long and healthy life ahead of it. On the other hand I expect BD/SP to have a sales curve similair to Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, so despite a very strong start I doubt it will reach the same heights as the biggest titles.

In other news:
- We got an update on Luigi's Mansion 3 numbers and it's actually keeping a strong pace.
- The holidays kept Super Mario Odyssey from falling behind BotW launch aligned, so the 2 are neck and neck for now.
- Super Mario Party, while still going strong, had a much weaker holiday after the launch of Superstars (around 0.9 mil shipped down from 1.7 last year)

With the current lineup there should be several new entries this year (Arceus, Splatoon 3, BotW Sequel and, assuming it performs well, Kirby and the Forgotten Land), so it'll be interesting to see how they all do.

Any chance of getting a legend?  I can tell what most of them are, but SMP and RFA in particular don't immediately stand out.

Sure, don't see why not

I'll go ahead and add it, but probably put it in a spoiler tag so it doesn't take up too much space.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
theRepublic said:

Sure, don't see why not

I'll go ahead and add it, but probably put it in a spoiler tag so it doesn't take up too much space.

Thanks!  I don't think I would have remembered Ring Fit Adventure.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

When a game is considered middleweight while selling over 12 millions copies lol
I love the selling power of Switch titles, truly a wonder to behold.

Updated for the March report. Also found and fixed an issue where I had accidentally skipped a quarter for Splatoon 2 way back. Whoops.

Arceus is making it's debut among the heavyweights. Despite slightly higher launch sales, it's tracking a bit behind the Gemstone games at the two month mark, but it did of course have the disadvantage of not launching right before the holidays. It should still have a good shot at outselling them in the long run, though of course the announcement of new Pokémon games this holiday has made it a little harder than it otherwise might have been.

Super Mario Maker unfortunately seems to not have reached 1 mil shipped in this last fiscal year and it's graph is therefore a whole year behind now, and might not see any more updates at all. It's also possible that this quarter is the last update we'll get on Splatoon 2 since it just barely reached 1 mil for the fiscal year and Splatoon 3 is right around the corner.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Updated for the March report. Also found and fixed an issue where I had accidentally skipped a quarter for Splatoon 2 way back. Whoops.

Arceus is making it's debut among the heavyweights. Despite slightly higher launch sales, it's tracking a bit behind the Gemstone games at the two month mark, but it did of course have the disadvantage of not launching right before the holidays. It should still have a good shot at outselling them in the long run, though of course the announcement of new Pokémon games this holiday has made it a little harder than it otherwise might have been.

Super Mario Maker unfortunately seems to not have reached 1 mil shipped in this last fiscal year and it's graph is therefore a whole year behind now, and might not see any more updates at all. It's also possible that this quarter is the last update we'll get on Splatoon 2 since it just barely reached 1 mil for the fiscal year and Splatoon 3 is right around the corner.

We'll still get yearly updates for these games, but it'll take a while.