By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned - December 2023 Update

good stuff!! and wow AC is the big thing, I wonder how they'll handle the next entry. I hate that the next two are actual ports : /

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's quite funny a to see a 10 million seller game as "middleweight" for Switch lol

At this rate any game that sells "only"10M will be a lightweight by 2025

Animal Crossing and Mario Kart, my two favourite Nintendo series now the two god-tier sales titans!

So Switch is at six 20 million sellers, with Mario Party and Ring Fit both likely to eventually hit it as well, along with BotW2. Presumably a brand new 2D Mario game will come out at some point and should certainly hit that mark as well. Add in the possibility one one of the upcoming Pokemon hitting 20 million, of course possibly both but let's just assume most likely only one of them might hit it. Switch could end up with eleven 20 million sellers!

10 million sellers is becoming the norm for almost every major game. Luigi's Mansion is about to hit 10 (or already has), 3D World will easily hit 10, the upcoming Mario Party will hit 10, Splatoon 3 will hit ten, obviously both upcoming Pokemon will easily hit 10, Minecraft is probably at 10 by now, Monster Hunter Rise will hit 10, hell maybe even Skyward Sword will.

Kart 8 Deluxe about to hit 40 million, damn. Think about telling people from 2014 that it would eventually sell that without pointing out that it would get released on Wii U's successor.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Updated for the September report.

Odyssey seems like it's finally about to fall behind BotW launch aligned.
Meanwhile Super Mario Party is showing some small signs of falling behind BotW as well, it's shocking that it's kept pace with it so far, but will be interesting to see how much it slows after Superstars.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Now updated for the December report.

Well here it is, I finally split it into 3 charts to avoid making them too crowded; which games goes in what chart might change with time. I've decided to name the highest tier "Top Dogs" as "Super Heavyweights" just felt too long :D
2 new entries - Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Superstars both being put into the middle chart - if Super Mario Party is anything to judge by Superstars will have a long and healthy life ahead of it. On the other hand I expect BD/SP to have a sales curve similair to Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, so despite a very strong start I doubt it will reach the same heights as the biggest titles.

In other news:
- We got an update on Luigi's Mansion 3 numbers and it's actually keeping a strong pace.
- The holidays kept Super Mario Odyssey from falling behind BotW launch aligned, so the 2 are neck and neck for now.
- Super Mario Party, while still going strong, had a much weaker holiday after the launch of Superstars (around 0.9 mil shipped down from 1.7 last year)

With the current lineup there should be several new entries this year (Arceus, Splatoon 3, BotW Sequel and, assuming it performs well, Kirby and the Forgotten Land), so it'll be interesting to see how they all do.

Mario Kart 8 is ridiculous, that game actually accelerates year after year. I wouldn't dare predict a final number for that game anymore. It's basically having an opposite sales curve of the usual game.

S.Peelman said:

Mario Kart 8 is ridiculous, that game actually accelerates year after year. I wouldn't dare predict a final number for that game anymore. It's basically having an opposite sales curve of the usual game.

It actually sold a bit less in 2021 than in 2020, but still almost 10mil.

Kakadu18 said:
S.Peelman said:

It actually sold a bit less in 2021 than in 2020, but still almost 10mil.

True, it has seemingly started slowing, but it somehow still had a stronger holiday this year, even with less hardware sold.

Rules don't apply to this game.