By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned - December 2023 Update

Updated for the June report. The list of games that aren't up to date is unfortunately significantly longer than ever before, as many heavy and midweight titles didn't reach 1 mil sales for the quarter, but we should get updates on a good deal of them next quarter.

Noteworthy stuff for the quarter:

• Nintendo Switch Sports has been added to the middleweight chart. Time will tell if it's more at home with the heavyweights, hard to predict the legs for this one.
  • The so-far seemingly unstoppable Super Mario Party and Ring Fit Adventure are starting to slow down significantly with sales much lower than a year ago. In case of the former it's of course the release of Superstars taking it's toll, and in the case of the latter it's possible Nintendo Switch Sports has something to do with it.
  • In the Top Dogs charts SSBU has fallen significantly behind MK8 launch aligned and after a valiant struggle Odyssey seems to be dipping under Breath of the Wild.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Those Mario Kart jumps every 12 months are because it's bundled during holidays. Mario Kart Wii was also bundled, if I remember right.

siebensus4 said:

Those Mario Kart jumps every 12 months are because it's bundled during holidays. Mario Kart Wii was also bundled, if I remember right.

Last holiday quarter MK8DX shipped 4.61mil copies. IIrc less than 2mil copies of software were bundled that quarter.

siebensus4 said:

Yep I'm pretty sure its during the black friday week. Tho I wonder how that would affect in other regions where black friday isn't part of the culture...

Updated for the September quarter. Thanks to a massive launch in Japan, Splatoon 3 is of to a great start as has been added to the Heavyweights. Time will tell if it has the legs to keep up with the other games there.

Other notes:

• It seems Nintendo adjusted its sales for previous years for Pokémon Sword/Shield up by at least 100k, since it's up by 1.1m compared to the end of last FY, but doesn't appear on the million seller list for the current FY. Rather than trying to spread out those >100k over previous quarters I've decided to just stick with previously reported numbers, resulting in this latest quarter appearing larger than it probably was (but total sales are still accurate).
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus is gaining ground on Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, which seem fairly dead in the water, shipping only 270k over the last 2 quarters.
  • Nintendo Switch Sports seems to be keeping the same pace as Luigi's Mansion 3 for now. It will be interesting to see how it performs in the Holiday.

Around the Network

I think we'll get updates for 3D World and NSMBUDX next quarter but no update for Pokémon Let's Go since it'll be pushed out of the top 10 by S/V. Hopefully LM3 tops 1mil for the FY at the latest in the fourth quarter.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 12 November 2022

Updated for the December report. While it might not seem crazy in a table that goes all the way up to 50+ mil, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet has made a massive debut putting it 1st launch aligned after a 2 month period and as Nintendo themselves have stated it's their fastest selling game ever. We've also gotten the first update on 3D World, U Deluxe and Luigi's Mansion 3 since March.

A few other things of note:

• Nintendo Switch Sport skyrocketed this last quarter. If it can manage to keep its pace so far it will most likely be king of the middleweights before too long. Might even have to promote it to a heavyweight.
  • Superstars is interestingly keeping very close pace with Super Mario Party, maintaining pretty much the same slight lead since the beginning.
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus has pretty much caught up with the Gen 4 remakes. Based on their previous sales and the fact that they are no longer in the top 10 best-selling games we know that the Gen 4 remakes shipped less than 0.15 mil in this (holiday) quarter, so its pretty safe to say they're dead in the water.

Wait where is Kirby and the forgotten land?? that game sold really well I think it would qualify as a mid-weight

Nintenbro said:

Wait where is Kirby and the forgotten land?? that game sold really well I think it would qualify as a mid-weight

Its still lower than any of the others but its pace is pretty good so I've added it now. Was meaning to save space for potential future titles, but we'll see about that when/if the time comes.

Interestingly Kirby and the Forgotten Land has a nearly straight sales curve so far, seems the holiday boost perfectly offset what would have otherwise been a decrease in sales.

I also fixed a slight mistake with NS Sport which was aligned to (the start of) April rather than May, despite launching April 29.

Kirby finally going up in the echelon of Nintendo's best selling IP is not something I would've thought possible after Star Allies didn't manage to surpass the 4M mark for a good while.

Anywoo, Mario Kart 8 DX is gonna run away from anyone else like it's nobody's business lol.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909