By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned - December 2023 Update

Updated now with the March report. Things of note:

• Despite having a bigger launch Scarlet and Violet is already behind Animal Crossing: New Horizon after just 2 quarters.
  • Superstars is continuing to keep pace with Super Mario Party while Ring Fit Adventure is falling further behind
  • New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe just keeps on selling and has now passed Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee both launch aligned and in total sales. Meanwhile Nintendo Switch Sports is also selling very impressively and might catch up to Let's Go much earlier on the chart.

Next one should be very interesting with Tears of the Kingdom making its debut. I'm expecting ~15m in the first quarter.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Pokémon S/V had the second biggest ever shipment in a single FY of any Nintendo game behind Wii Sports doing 24mil in one FY.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

• Despite having a bigger launch Scarlet and Violet is already behind Animal Crossing: New Horizon after just 2 quarters.
  • Superstars is continuing to keep pace with Super Mario Party while Ring Fit Adventure is falling further behind
  • New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe just keeps on selling and has now passed Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee both launch aligned and in total sales. Meanwhile Nintendo Switch Sports is also selling very impressively and might catch up to Let's Go much earlier on the chart.

Next one should be very interesting with Tears of the Kingdom making its debut. I'm expecting ~15m in the first quarter.

I'm honestly shocked at how right and even maybe a little underplayed your prediction for TOTK first quarter sales are going to end up in the end 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

@Kakadu18 Which FY was that for Wii Sports?

Torpoleon said:

@Kakadu18 Which FY was that for Wii Sports?

Must be the one where the Wii shipped over 25mil units, the one ending March 2009.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I'm honestly shocked at how right and even maybe a little underplayed your prediction for TOTK first quarter sales are going to end up in the end 

Yea at this point I'm thinking I actually undershot a bit. Even just the sell-through will likely hit 15m, shipments should be even higher. Crazy how much bigger Zelda has gotten.

@Kakadu18 Makes sense. I had thought SV was the record holder for a single FY with 22.10 million, but I guess not!

Torpoleon said:

@Kakadu18 Makes sense. I had thought SV was the record holder for a single FY with 22.10 million, but I guess not!

It's funny to think that if AC: New Horizons had launched just 2 weeks later it would be on another level entirely since it shipped 11.77m in its first (11-day) fiscal year then 20.86 million more over the next fiscal year. More than 32 mil in just above a year.

As the record stands now I think TotK has a good chance of dethroning Wii Sports though, its timing is certainly better than Scarlet and Violet since it has almost a full year.

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 10 June 2023

@UnderwaterFunktown I wouldn't be surprised if shipments are around 18 million for the quarter. Slightly below Pokemon but it is worth noting that this is not a holiday season. Maybe it will anyways. Who knows? I was expecting TOTK to do around 8 million in its first 3 days but it ended up nearly matching Pokemon anyways.

@Kakadu18 I went back and looked on Nintendo's IR website and did find the FY where Wii Sports sold 24.15 million units! https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2009/090508e.pdf (Page 6)

That being said, SV, still holds this record for Switch games and Pokemon games. It also holds the record as the highest debut fiscal year for a Nintendo game. You are right about ACNH. Would've been over 30 million, which would be crazy. TOTK almost certainly will take the crown away from SV though considering it has from May 12, 2023 to March 31, 2024. I'm expecting TOTK to be around 25 million by then, surpassing Wii Sports as well (making it the highest debut fiscal year and the highest fiscal year amount overall!).

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Mar1217 said:

Yea at this point I'm thinking I actually undershot a bit. Even just the sell-through will likely hit 15m, shipments should be even higher. Crazy how much bigger Zelda has gotten.

Had the right idea here, sell-through for the quarter was 15.7m and shipments all the way up at 18.51m. Will update the charts soon, though we've only gotten new numbers for the top 10.